Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula E

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I guess the crash is kind of good publicity for the series added a bit more interest, bit more drama, showed that there's a bit of speed there, just a pity Heidfeld didn't try throw a punch or something when he ran after Prost

I actually thought Heidfield was going to punch him. He was very strong willed not too after what Prost done to him and the crash he had. Id say he thought about it. Might not have been good for him do if he had of punched Prost and maybe he thought of that too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

There was actually some good racing there! The track was pretty bland, but the series definitely has promise

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115856

10place penalty for prost

prost using the 'i didn't see you mate' excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 30,022 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115856

10place penalty for prost

prost using the 'i didn't see you mate' excuse

Well at least it's not a 5place penalty
    I guess if it happens again he'll get some sort harsher punishment

Wonder what Prost Senior made of the move, didn't see any quotes or interview

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

12287_717160561697679_4399530017283225131_n.png?oh=9e71946d4cc829491d1b93ed35b081dc&oe=549B864C&__gda__=1418390888_431ecb78102b08a6af3b46c22d1f2871

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Track was rubbish.

Prost should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus he made a mistake its not like he shot him with a gun!

Banned - No
    Harsher penalty - Yes
    Mistake - I think it was more of a calculated move, the smidsy excuse doesn't stand when your in a fight with a faster driver(at that point of the race) for the lead and come to the last corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Banned - No
    Harsher penalty - Yes
    Mistake - I think it was more of a calculated move, the smidsy excuse doesn't stand when your in a fight with a faster driver(at that point of the race) for the lead and come to the last corner.
    I wouldn't hang the guy just yet, as with all racing incidents we've dragged them out into all sorts of detail but we always seem to forget that these things happen in a split second. It's barely enough time to make the decision never mind cross reference it with the logic centre and experience libraries before it's sent off to the muscles.

Mistakes happen, he more than likely won't be making this one again. Lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

To laypersons like ourselves, a move like Prost's looks deliberate. Heidfeld is pretty much neck and neck when Nic moves over, but it should be remembered how difficult it is to watch your mirrors in a car like that on a bumpy track like Beijing's.

Ms

ScumLord wrote: »
    I wouldn't hang the guy just yet, as with all racing incidents we've dragged them out into all sorts of detail but we always seem to forget that these things happen in a split second. It's barely enough time to make the decision never mind cross reference it with the logic centre and experience libraries before it's sent off to the muscles.

Mistakes happen, he more than likely won't be making this one again. Lesson learned.

F1 drivers drive even faster and they very rarely make a mistake like that. Can you imagine if that had of been an F1 car its very possible it could have been a lot worse. If he can not think fast then he should not be driving fast like that. He should have been anticipating and thinking what could happen. He also should have checked all his mirrors before moving not just his right one. I don,think what he done was a mistake there was loads of room between him and Heidfields car before he ramed into the side of him. He done it on purpose because he knew he was not going to win thee race. It was silly and stupid what he done. He would of had 2nd place and points instead now he has no points no trophy and has a 10 place grid penalty.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It was a cynical and dangerous move to block another car passing for the win. I dont believe for a second that it was accidental; Im sure he didnt intend for Heidfeld to barrell roll into the wall like that, but he knew the risk in a block like that.

Honestly I dont think a race ban would have been overly harsh; you need to send out a message that that sort of driving is not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

AMKC wrote: »
    F1 drivers drive even faster and they very rarely make a mistake like that.
    Of course they do, Webber and vettel have done something similar, I think button got caught up in something similar.

It is true that F1 drivers don't have that many accidents considering they're in some of the fastest cars but they are the best of the best. In the top echelons of any sport the best are usually the best not because their skill is so much greater than everyone elses but because they don't make as many mistakes.
    He done it on purpose because he knew he was not going to win thee race.
    So you think he decided no points are better than 18 points?

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus he made a mistake its not like he shot him with a gun!

A mistake is nudging him slightly.

Not moving like this.

Look at the video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r700R2c3t4s

freeze it at 3 seconds, then freeze at 18, then again at 22

Prost swerves over a full car length accross

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Using the above video as an example
    At 16 secs Prost gives a look to his right, a very good look even turning his head to check for Heidfeld,
    Before completing his move (to drivers) left he doesn't give as good a look, there is no way to know if he even checked his mirror, Why?
    Also if you play his move slowly it looks like a early dive for the corner except the corner is much further away, given the way the rear end kicks out and the angle the car is at as he moves across.

Another possibility that only occurred to me recently is that if he did check his mirror and his aim was to position his car wheel to wheel with Heidfeld for the last corner but when he accelerated to make the move the torque kicked the back of the car of momentarily losing traction and then when the car regained traction it "speared" into Heidfelds

However this all happened with just a few seconds, I still consider his move reckless and desperate, I however don't think his intention was to crash, move to force Heidfeld into a situation where he would have to cut the last corner to make a clean pass.

It's a racing incident, it happened quickly and may have just been a panic move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

In F1 you'd hear the other car when it'd be that close.

These cars are so quiet it must be like losing one of your senses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I really do wonder about if you hear another car when you have earplugs in and your own V10/V8/V6 at similar engine revs behind your back. I think it is all relative if you hear the other car or not.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Stoolbend wrote: »
    In F1 you'd hear the other car when it'd be that close.

These cars are so quiet it must be like losing one of your senses.

They had a GP2/3 driver driving the car before the race and he said that he couldnt hear when to change gear; he was relying soley on the lights on the steering wheel.

It sounds **** to be fair; during the race the crap music that the DJ was playing and the crowd well overpowered the noise of the cars!

Ms

ScumLord wrote: »
    Of course they do, Webber and vettel have done something similar, I think button got caught up in something similar.

Yes and the one between Webber and Vettel was Vettels fault. Of course it worked to Vettels advantage in the end and not Webbers as Webber should have and probably would have won the drivers championship that year if Vettel had not have crashed into him in that race in Turkey in 2010.

It is true that F1 drivers don't have that many accidents considering they're in some of the fastest cars but they are the best of the best. In the top echelons of any sport the best are usually the best not because their skill is so much greater than everyone elses but because they don't make as many mistakes.

So you think he decided no points are better than 18 points?

No I don,t think he decided that it would have been very silly if he did think that especially in the first race when its all the play for. Maybe he just meant to put Heidfield off and did not realise that touching him with the car the way he did would cause him to crash like he did and wreck his own car too.

Yes and the one between Webber and Vettel was Vettels fault. Of course it worked to Vettels advantage in the end and not Webbers as Webber should have and probably would have won the drivers championship that year if Vettel had not have crashed into him in that race in Turkey in 2010.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I didn't mind the music TBH. :o It made it sound like WipeOut.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

IMO the music was great.

• Advertisement

Do you what, I didn't even notice the music. I was watching the racing!

AMKC wrote: »

I always got the feeling that Seb tried to hit Webber again when they went off track.

Not sure if this video and team radio is real but it sounds it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE8oMRQAeak

and this fan footage after the crash, vettel drives the marshall car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtJOGYmRJXw
    djimi wrote: »
    They had a GP2/3 driver driving the car before the race and he said that he couldnt hear when to change gear; he was relying soley on the lights on the steering wheel.!

That's just not right.

Ms

Not sure if this video and team radio is real but it sounds it.

Ye I think he did say something like that alright.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Just went to see if Formula e was on this weekend - nope, not back on for 57 days. That's some time to recharge the cars. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

astrofluff wrote: »
    Just went to see if Formula e was on this weekend - nope, not back on for 57 days. That's some time to recharge the cars. :eek:

Shocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Seemingly the Malaysian PM wanted to be there to see it so it had to be postponed

Ms

astrofluff wrote: »

There was supposed to be 1 race a month for the first season in 10 different cities. There was originally going to be 10 races in ten cities but its looking like there will only be 8 or 9 cities now. I wonder would they ever think of having one in Dublin. I do think 1 race a month is too little and there should be at least 2 races a month but maybe it will go like that eventually if it lasts and does well.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I'd say they're having that few races in a season to keep costs down while the series gets up and running.

Remember it is Saturday for all events - Next race 22nd Nov. Race start is at 6am GMT if my 8-hour time calculation is correct!

Fan boost is also open http://fanboost.fiaformulae.com

STARTS ENDS ACTIVITY
    7:00 18:00 Gates open/close
    7:45 9:00 NON-QUALIFYING PRACTICE
    10:00 10:10 QUALIFYING SESSION GROUP 1
    10:15 10:25 QUALIFYING SESSION GROUP 2
    10:30 10:40 QUALIFYING SESSION GROUP 3
    10:45 10:55 QUALIFYING SESSION GROUP 4
    11:50 12:30 Driver autograph session
    12:30 12:50 Driver parade
    13:23 13:33 Pitlane open/close
    13:50 FanBoost implementation
    14:00 15:00 RACE (31 laps)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

What channel is it on?

Advertisement