Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UN refusal to intervene in "The Troubles"

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

I'm afraid that the policy of The UK State was to contain paramilitary violence and to develop a political solution.

Are you serious? Judging by that comment you are clearly not aware of how much the British directed and guided Loyalist paramilitary violence throughout the years. Ever hear of Brain Nelson? Amongst other things, as a British agent he went to South Africa to purchase and organise arms shipments for the UDA/UFF. Christ! if that was the British developing a political solution? I wouldn't like to see them running a dirty war, oh wait a sec...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

(iv) Stereotyping of The UDR despite it's relatively low kill rate.

(..........

From 1975......

"since the beginning of the current campaign, the best single source of weapons (and the only significant source of modern weapons) for protestant extremist groups has been the UDR"
    http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/publicrecords/1973/subversion_in_the_udr.pdf

By 1992, 19 were convicted of murder, 150 or more other serious offences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭secondopinion

mongoman wrote: »
    Are you serious? Judging by that comment you are clearly not aware of how much the British directed and guided Loyalist paramilitary violence throughout the years. Ever hear of Brain Nelson? Amongst other things, as a British agent he went to South Africa to purchase and organise arms shipments for the UDA/UFF. Christ! if that was the British developing a political solution? I wouldn't like to see them running a dirty war, oh wait a sec...............

See my point above regarding Nationalist half truths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭secondopinion

Nodin wrote: »
    From 1975......

"since the beginning of the current campaign, the best single source of weapons (and the only significant source of modern weapons) for protestant extremist groups has been the UDR"
    http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/publicrecords/1973/subversion_in_the_udr.pdf

By 1992, 19 were convicted of murder, 150 or more other serious offences.

19 convicted of murder whilst almost 300 of their members were murdered during a ruthless terrorist campaign carried out over 30 years? I think you've proved my point. Thankyou.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

That is my fear WC. There is a huge amount of conflict era propaganda still floating around and the vast majority of it emanates from The Nationalist side of the issue. Obviously, The UK State no longer cares as it sees the issue as solved and has moved on. Unionism has always seemed less interested in propaganda than Nationalism - perhaps reflecting different cultural environments. But within Nationalism there is a complete inability to accept factual realities and place them within a relevant context.
    Now, if this only applied to SF apologists desperate to sanitise PIRA's war and that of their leaders, I wouldn't be very concerned. But unfortunately, it would appear that many in The Republic (and many Nationalists in NI) sign up to some elements of this fake historical narrative - even those who claim to despise SF and The IRA. This is what worries me. Future generations of Irish people could buy into this false narrative and this could lead to further conflict.

I don't think you need to worry too much, Ireland is getting more mature and better able to stare at its own history. Our relationship to Northern Ireland and Britain is stronger and I would certainly be of the opinion that history about the Troubles should be written by all involved and to remove any bias or misinformation.

With the visit of the British Queen last year and the tearing down of the "special" relationship between catholic church and Government, I would think that unionists would feel a little more at ease. The idea of reunification and whitewashing history to give a pro-ira stance is the last thing on most peoples minds to be fair.

The only people I saw being stuck in the past and protesting the British Queens visit was SF and a good few junkies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

secondopinon. you really had no idea what was occuring in the north of ireland. the security forces where completely sectarian organisations who systematically tortured their irish nationalist neighbours. secondly the british army didnt kill all the republican leaders because even they werent stupid enough to think they could defeat republicans this way.

19 convicted of murder whilst almost 300 of their members were murdered during a ruthless terrorist campaign carried out over 30 years? I think you've proved my point. Thankyou.

Not really. There's also the passing of information to loyalist paramilitaries, the passing of weapons etc. All told, it's a rather telling picture. Rather inevitable, given the origins of the organisation, and all too preventable.

Besides, I thought you wanted to establish that there was " no comparison between the morality of PIRA and The Security Forces"?

You still haven't clarified whether or not you're saying that the RUC and the B-specials were an ordinary, representative police force?

I don't think you need to worry too much, Ireland is getting more mature and better able to stare at its own history. Our relationship to Northern Ireland and Britain is stronger and I would certainly be of the opinion that history about the Troubles should be written by all involved and to remove any bias or misinformation.

With the visit of the British Queen last year and the tearing down of the "special" relationship between catholic church and Government, I would think that unionists would feel a little more at ease. The idea of reunification and whitewashing history to give a pro-ira stance is the last thing on most peoples minds to be fair.

The only people I saw being stuck in the past and protesting the British Queens visit was SF and a good few junkies.

didnt see all the crowds lining the street to welcome her either. presumably most felt protesting some old hasbean shuffling around while f.g politicans kissed her hole just wasnt worth the effort

didnt see all the crowds lining the street to welcome her either. presumably most felt protesting some old hasbean shuffling around while f.g politicans kissed her hole just wasnt worth the effort

They were in Cork :P

As for Dublin, no public event was planned and security was the main thing, hence why people did not gather.

But junkies will turn up for anything when they get paid, I wonder if anyone paid them???

Who are these 'others' you speak of Nodin? Irish Nationalists and their fellow travellers? Do they ever present compelling evidence of widespread collusion or high level complicity in said collusion? I've certainly never seen evidence of either - very much the opposite in fact.

You do agree there's no comparison between the morality of PIRA and The Security Forces I presume?

heres something we can agree on. The IRA were volunteer freedom fighters who used intelligence and bravery to fight one of the biggest richest armies in the world. the british army on the other hand was run by stuck up twats who knew are cared nothing about the irish people. on the ground the british army was made up of people too stupid to get a real job or dirtbags forced to join to stay out of jail. as for all the loyalist paramilataries such as uvf, uda, ruc, lvf, uff, e.t.c well these were simply
    sectarian killing machines, who killed innocent catholics because they were afraid to engage the IRA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

Why is anyone responding to Secondopinion, he is anti irish and obviously trolling. A ban should have been put in place awhile back.

As for Dublin, no public event was planned and security was the main thing, hence why people did not gather.

But junkies will turn up for anything when they get paid, I wonder if anyone paid them???

most likely the brits to make her feel at home

They were thrown out of the garden of remembrance. To bulk up the numbers some genius in Eirigi thought to give them flags etc

[/B]

most likely the brits to make her feel at home

Heh, were the Brits paying SF too? They were right beside the junkies. :P

votecounts wrote: »
    Why is anyone responding to Secondopinion, he is anti irish and obviously trolling. A ban should have been put in place awhile back.

I don't see any trolling on this thread from the poster. He has a different view but nothing that I would consider trolling. He is also responding to posters backing up his view, so I don't see why you would ban him for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

(i) Only soldiers are entitled to kill soldiers under international law. Non-military personnel killing soldiers is simply murder. Militant Republicans such as PIRA did not wear uniforms, openly display their weapons, or follow any of the rules of war (internationally recognised) and as such the soldiers they killed were in fact murdered.
    As what was essentially an internal conflict, some of those rules don't apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Firstly, while we really appreciate the help from posters in identifying re-regs and trolls, it's really not acceptable that posts are made in threads making accusations of this nature. That is in fact a breach of the charter. Report the post, send us a PM if you think it is taking too long, but please don't bring it into the threads.

Secondly, I'm closing this thread as it is was really being driven by a certain poster who is now banned and tbh I can see train wreck on the horizon. As always, I'm open to being persuaded otherwise via PM if anyone feels strongly enough.

Cheers

DrG

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement