Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inward or Outward opening windows

• 18-12-2014 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Looking for opinions or experience with inward and outward opening windows?

I've only lived with outward opening windows so that's all I am used to. But would inward opening windows be a problem. Are you able to use blinds. And you wouldn't be able to put anything on the internal window cill (which mightn't be a bad thing... clutter...)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,202 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

bawling wrote: »
    Looking for opinions or experience with inward and outward opening windows?

I've only lived with outward opening windows so that's all I am used to. But would inward opening windows be a problem. Are you able to use blinds. And you wouldn't be able to put anything on the internal window cill (which mightn't be a bad thing... clutter...)

Thanks!
    Some fire escape window are the tilt and turn design that open inwards much like a door and also tilt inwards at the top as an alternative opening for ventilation.
    People have been known to hang blinds on the opening section of the window and therefore the blind moves with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Standard windows open out for plenty of reasons.... Opening them inward would not be a good idea IMO...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I've lived in houses with both types of windows and there is no difference that I've ever noticed unless you want to use blinds.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

bee06 wrote: »
    I've lived in houses with both types of windows and there is no difference that I've ever noticed unless you want to use blinds.

But new installs have to comply with Part B of the Building Regulations. Opening out would be mandatory I would imagine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

out would be better for security and fire safety

you would have curtins not blinds if the open inwards

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    But new installs have to comply with Part B of the Building Regulations. Opening out would be mandatory I would imagine.

I've seen hundreds of inward opening fire escape windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

kceire wrote: »

I would have thought that as long as the opening meets the height and width requirements it wouldn't matter if it opens in or out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

TGD B describes the window opening sections as for "Escape or Rescue" - you'd imagine for rescue purposes it would be easier if they opened inwards.

Either way I've never heard of a prohibition on inward opening windows.

It's worth noting OP that if you get inward opening windows the detailing of their construction/sealing is important in order to prevent water ingress around the seals. In my experience it's slightly more likely to occur with windows that open inwards than outwards, particularly those on the side of the house that face the prevailing wind.

Drift wrote: »
    TGD B describes the window opening sections as for "Escape or Rescue" - you'd imagine for rescue purposes it would be easier if they opened inwards.

Either way I've never heard of a prohibition on inward opening windows.

It's worth noting OP that if you get inward opening windows the detailing of their construction/sealing is important in order to prevent water ingress around the seals. In my experience it's slightly more likely to occur with windows that open inwards than outwards, particularly those on the side of the house that face the prevailing wind.

Absolutely agree re the water ingress.
    I've seen one case where the window company adjusred the locks so tight to seal the window that the lady home owner could not open the windows.
    Its certainly a consideration in exposed areas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

mickdw wrote: »
    I've seen hundreds of inward opening fire escape windows.
    bee06 wrote: »
    I would have thought that as long as the opening meets the height and width requirements it wouldn't matter if it opens in or out?

I suppose aslong as the 0.33m2 area is met and the unobstructed dimensions are met, then i can see the argument. I was just always thought open out windows only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Open inwards makes cleaning of upstairs windows easier to do it yourself, can all be done from inside.

Advertisement