Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation advice

• 16-12-2014 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just moved into a late 90s built dormer and I want to improve /add insulation to the attic and crawl spaces. The attic has fibre glass between the joists, as does the crawl spaces. I'm thinking of adding rockwool on top of this to improve things.The plaster board between the bedrooms and crawl space has no insulation behind it so I'd like to know what would be the most cost effective solution to insulate these areas.

As a follow up question ; what is current best practice when it comes to insulation for dormers? Do you insulate between the rafters or do you follow my plan and insulate the crawl spaces?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

The fact that it is a dormer is significant. I would first have the house tested for airtightness before embarking on upgrading the insulation.

To address your follow up question, there is no point in insulating between the rafters (unless you are going to change it from a cold roof to a complete warm roof (major job) which would also require insulating above the rafters (i.e. rising the finished roof level).

Advertisement