Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convict Conditioning.

• 20-02-2011 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Desire to Aspire

Hey!

I was just wondering if anyone is using, or has done, the Convict Conditioning program?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭meijin

Hey!

I was just wondering if anyone is using, or has done, the Convict Conditioning program?

Yes and I enjoy it a lot.

Irrespective of the fact if the author actually exist, as some people doubt it, the program makes sense to me :)

I like being able to workout at home and having clear progression steps in the program. I started bodyweight training before, but this book helped me to put some more structure into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mannequinhands

what is convict conditioning

what is convict conditioning
    it's a book with bodyweight exercises program, it has 6 main exercises
    - squats
    - push-ups
    - pull-ups
    - bridges
    - leg raises
    - handstand push-ups (you shouldn't start this one too soon!)

each exercise has 10 progression steps, from very easy ones - e.g. wall push-up to very hard one, e.g. one arm push-up

see more details at http://www.dragondoor.com/b41/ or I'll try to answer any question

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mannequinhands

hmmm i can see the logic in it from that basic summary i might look it up a bit more

would you use that with any other program or just on its own

would you use that with any other program or just on its own

I mostly use it on its own + CC2 book has extra exercises (calf raises, grip work and more). Occasionally I add some other BW exercise or a basic yoga routine. I also run a bit.

I don't do weights... The only "equipment" I got is pull-up bar and exercise mat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Is it a lot like "The Naked Warrior"?

Dead Ed wrote: »
    Is it a lot like "The Naked Warrior"?
    I haven't read this one, but looks like it's similar idea of using bodyweight exercises. From the TOC it seems a bit more advanced? CC takes you from absolute beginner level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Naked Warrior goes into far more detail if I remember correctly, but only has the pistol and OAP.

CC is an ok book, but the info can be got on the internet pretty easily. In saying that it outlines progressions for more exercises. Some people take the outlined progressions as sacred, but there's more than one way to get to a OAP or HSPU etc.

If I was going to buy one, I think I'd get NW. I found the Dinosaur Bodyweight Training book to be better than CC. It goes into detail on grip strength etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

But there are gyms in prisons so why not call it "currently between jobs conditioning"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Have CC 1 + CC2, great books.

My new bible however is Overcoming Gravity by Steven Low. Must have for BW enthusiasts.

• Advertisement

But there are gyms in prisons so why not call it "currently between jobs conditioning"?
    haha, maybe there are, I don't know ;) the title and the story about the author spending time in prison might be only a story and is not really important

I just like the independence aspect of being able to train anywhere/anytime and not needing a gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Can that book be purchased here? Looks interesting.

Can that book be purchased here? Looks interesting.
    available as ebook on http://www.easons.com/display.asp?K=565161
    also on amazon or kindle, but not sure about country restrictions for kindle

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yeah, but prisoners can't just access it when ever they feel like. There isn't going to be a lot of resistance equipment, plus everyone will want to use it. To get stronger, you'll need to work much more, so the idea is to do stuff in your cell. Thats the USP of the program, but its not actually aimed at convicts of course.

Charles Bronson, was a fitness fanatic, despite spending msot of his time in solitary confinement. He wrote Solitary fitness, a similar idea.

You could also check out www.alkavadlo.com he is the guy doing some of the moves in cc2.

I find his website very helpful

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Mellor wrote: »
    Charles Bronson, was a fitness fanatic, despite spending msot of his time in solitary confinement. He wrote Solitary fitness, a similar idea.

That cover picture is awesome, I'd be worried about him jumping out of the book and shanking me.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

yeah, he a bonafide nut job alright.

I'd say it could of been a god book with a proper publisher/editor etc.

Great to see more and more people on a BW buzz these days.

Yeah, it is a bit, and as I'm out of work, I don't have the luxury of spending the guts of €40 on a book. That'd feed my family for three days!!

Might have a look at a downloadable version, if there is one. Thanks chief.

Downloaded this, had a quick read. Very interesting concepts. I may just start this from Monday and see how I go. Sure it can't do any harm! :cool:

Downloaded this, had a quick read. Very interesting concepts. I may just start this from Monday and see how I go. Sure it can't do any harm! :cool:

Cool :)

I would recommend to read the whole book first, as some training ideas and programs are close to the end. And it can do harm if you start on too difficult step, especially if you didn't workout much before. Start from step 1 :)

• Advertisement

meijin wrote: »
    Cool :)

I would recommend to read the whole book first, as some training ideas and programs are close to the end. And it can do harm if you start on too difficult step, especially if you didn't workout much before. Start from step 1 :)

Thanks for the tip. He DID say, that even if you can do push ups, to NOT start from step 5 and work towards step 10, as it won't work. He suggested to do all ten steps in each of the 6 routines, from the start.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Thanks Please kill me for the link!

I spent yesterday reading this and I have to say I'm hooked.

It really suits where Im at now e.g. no spare cash for gym memberships!

eire-kp wrote: »
    Thanks Please kill me for the link!

I spent yesterday reading this and I have to say I'm hooked.

It really suits where Im at now e.g. no spare cash for gym memberships!

No worries mate. It's a good read isn't it? And like you said, you need no equipment! Just your body weight. I thought it was really good reading.

also some useful information there:
    http://www.fitocracy.com/forum/30/ - Bodyweight Exercises forum
    http://www.fitocracy.com/forum/topic/6576/ - BW programs list

meijin wrote: »
    also some useful information there:
    http://www.fitocracy.com/forum/30/ - Bodyweight Exercises forum
    http://www.fitocracy.com/forum/topic/6576/ - BW programs list

Won't let me sign in though?? Do I have to be on Face f**k to see? :mad:

Won't let me sign in though?? Do I have to be on Face f**k to see? :mad:
    Oops... I was logged in to fitocracy and didn't realize you can't see it if not logged in. If you don't have an account there, you can create one using the invite code through http://ftcy.co/veY1Xb

Good on ya, thanks man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

in convict conditioning - how long do you (people) spend on a stage?

I ask this in terms of earlier steps that you can do the progression level straight away.

I only just started today. I did all 6 routines, but started at the progression level on each. Did them all ok in fairness, but I might do a couple of weeks on each step, depending on how easy or hard I find it.

• Advertisement

I went back to step 1 on few routines where slightly different muscles are being used or to work on better form. Also tried 2-0-2-1 tempo recently which makes it a bit more difficult for me.
    I think few weeks is good idea, as not only your muscles should be able to go do the workout, but also tendons and joints need to get used to them. And besides, it's not a race :)

Advertisement