Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

transition year film studies?

Options
  • 03-09-2014 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭

i am starting a film studies course with my transition year ordinary level English class. i was just inquiring if anyone would have any advice of what films to study ?

i was thinking of studying my left foot, the titanic and the Truman show. any other suggestions would be most beneficial and also what theory on film studies should i include during the course

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭nqtfarmer

In the same boat here, anyone recommend any textbooks for such a course? I am v interested in film theory so would hope to get kids thinking on such

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Citizen Kane is pretty clever and was really cutting-edge in terms of cinematography, narrative, visuals and special effects. Maybe some interesting foreign films like Hero (Chinese, stunningly visual) some Studio Ghibli (Japanese) City of God (Brazilian) or independent cinema like Once, His and Hers? There's a film called Follow the Rabbit Proof Fence about aboriginal Australia which has some really clever shots/angles to show the aboriginal loss of power to the white Australians, plus my 13 year old students loved it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Afroshack wrote: »
    Citizen Kane is pretty clever and was really cutting-edge in terms of cinematography, narrative, visuals and special effects. Maybe some interesting foreign films like Hero (Chinese, stunningly visual) some Studio Ghibli (Japanese) City of God (Brazilian) or independent cinema like Once, His and Hers? There's a film called Follow the Rabbit Proof Fence about aboriginal Australia which has some really clever shots/angles to show the aboriginal loss of power to the white Australians, plus my 13 year old students loved it :)
    Would city of god not be to violent for a transition year group ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Dr Crippen

Birth of a nation is a film a lot of colleges would start with, well they did on mine, a quick google will give you the background etc. Controversial for various reason, it also featured new filming techniques and influenced cinematography for many years after.

A quick google will give you more insight

• Registered Users Posts: 7 guest26

Inside i'm dancing is a good film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

guest26 wrote: »
    Inside i'm dancing is a good film.

Yup was thinking of doing that film and maybe the untouchables also

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

ricero wrote: »
    Would city of god not be to violent for a transition year group ?

Oh yeah I forgot it was 18's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I've just finished watching "Stand By Me" with my JCs and they loved it. It was a revision aid for Stephen King's novella "The Body" and could be used as a study on how novels can be adapted for screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 The Red Shoes

Have a look on the IFI website. In the education section they have good film study guides including one for Inside I'm Dancing.

Advertisement