Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Maternity cover - Croke Park hours?

Options
  • 03-09-2014 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi. I am new to boards.ie so im not sure how to start a new conversation.

Can anyone tell me if a substitute teacher covering a six month maternity contract in a primary school is obliged to do Croke Park hours?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

As far as I know you're not obliged to but I know most long term subs do as it looks good to a principal and also it can be used for whole planning etc therefore if you leave you might miss out on something important discussed or agreed upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Why wouldn't they? Given that they're only paid for six months I would assume they'd only have to do half but of course they should have to do their share, same as the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ruthmail

RealJohn wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they? Given that they're only paid for six months I would assume they'd only have to do half but of course they should have to do their share, same as the rest of us.

Well those posted before 2011 are paid a substantially higher wage john...I trust that answers your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Imagine starting a six month contract and stating your not going to staff or dept meetings?? Not good!!

TheDriver wrote: »
    Imagine starting a six month contract and stating your not going to staff or dept meetings?? Not good!!

Thank you for your opinion. However you are not aware my particular situation. It was in fact my principal who advised me to find out whether or not I needed to do the CP hours. If you have anything relevant to say regarding my question I'd be interested in hearing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Teachers are obliged to do Croke Park hours. You are substituting and doing what that teacher should be doing. My understanding is that you attend staff meetings and Croke Park hours. I can't see why you as a long term sun would be free to leave at four while everyone else stays for two hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Exactly my thoughts. You are teaching full hours for half a year, I would imagine you would need to attend all meetings during that time as you are a full time employee.

RealJohn wrote: »

I wouldn't agree with the half share here John. If they have a full time position, 22 hours I mean, they should do all hours while they're in the school. If a sub only did half of the hours during a six month stint, and then got a three month subbing job for the remainder of the school year and only did one third of the hours, they'd end up doing way less than their colleagues. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your quote though!

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Teachers are obliged to do Croke Park hours. You are substituting and doing what that teacher should be doing. My understanding is that you attend staff meetings and Croke Park hours. I can't see why you as a long term sun would be free to leave at four while everyone else stays for two hours.

My understanding is that casual substitute teachers do not do CP hours. Even though, as you put it they are doing what that teacher should be doing. I was wondering if it is the same for non casual teachers. T.Y for your feedback.

I would agree, day to day subbing wouldn't need to. I don't know of anything official/in a circular though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

While you are subbing on a non-casual basis for a teacher, you are that teacher and do that teacher's job (with the exception of A and B post duties that are not an ordinary teacher's function and extra-curricular as that is voluntary). Doing CP hours is part of the teacher's job, same as being subject to inspection, doing out plans, keeping records, supervision and substitution etc.

Besides, it looks terrible if someone is in a school for 6 months+ and is seen to be uninterested in the running of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

ruthmail wrote: »
    Hi. I am new to boards.ie so im not sure how to start a new conversation.

Can anyone tell me if a substitute teacher covering a six month maternity contract in a primary school is obliged to do Croke Park hours?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

There's no obligation. They're mandatory for all teachers and it's pro-rata depending on the number of hours you're doing.

22 hours = 33 CP hours
    11 hours = 16.5 CP hours.

etc. .

While you could refuse to do it, you would never get sub cover in my school again.

If ever there was a comment that sums up the spineless attitude that occupy the teaching profession it's this one. .

Your replacement is employed to TEACH. Not to run some sort of summer school of activities when you're not there.

Quite frankly. . . Who'd want to work in a school where the Principal and Staff have that attitude?

I did clarify the statement. As a music teacher the reality is that school choir (within reason) is really part of the job and spine has nothing to do with it. The other extra curricular is my own choice and no principal would have an issue with a refusal but anyone choosing music in the DIP is aware that there are certain things you will need to do.

It's NOT part of the job. Full stop.

The job is to cover the classes to the best of the teacher's ability ON THE TIMETABLE.

There are "certain things you need to do". Why?

In other words you expect young teachers to prostitute themselves out in the hope of a job they're not going to get. . . . Keep them competing off each other.

It's no wonder we have a spineless union when we have so many so-called "professionals" willing to point out to others the "certain things they need to do".

Excuse me "prostitute themselves"? I am a young teacher myself and I certainly do not expect that. This is not a new thing, in every school I attended and I have worked in, choir has been run by the music teacher. This is not a new thing and it's nothing to do with being young or old or a union?

This is my last response to this as it appears you have your mind made up on me and I'm not interested in being accused of promoting "prostitution", "competition" and creating a "spineless union". In addition you gave become very personal by referring to me as a so called profession. Have a nice day

I know you're a young teacher as you think something that's part of your job is, in fact, NOT PART of your job.

All the young teachers . . . ever eager to impress - the students, parents, principal. . . .

Most of them would work for nothing - The Government and the unions know this . . . and that's why they're on a dreadful salary with awful job prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

If ever there was a comment that sums up the spineless attitude that occupy the teaching profession it's this one. .

Your replacement is employed to TEACH. Not to run some sort of summer school of activities when you're not there.

Quite frankly. . . Who'd want to work in a school where the Principal and Staff have that attitude?

Who'd want to work in a school where the staff have the attitude that teachers should just teach?

The job has never been just about teaching and it sounds like the teacher-bashing attitude of "sure, ye only work a few hours a week, drink tea during endless free classes and have three months off." The job means being part of a community.

Just teaching sounds like a soul-destroying way to clock in and out every day of a forty year career - no extra-curricular, no form tutoring, no getting to know the kids outside of class, no bringing your outside interests into the classroom, no First Aid, no collegiality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Posts deleted, I'm not interested in the row. And it looks like the OP has closed their account anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

MOD:

If you are ignorant of how the interview process works for music teachers then you should refrain from commenting.

Your posts are abrasive and not in keeping with the spirit of co-operation and discussion.

Member has been Banned

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement