Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best places in Galway to celebrate new years

• 21-12-2014 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3 michelleclarke

Hi Guys,
    It's my first year to celebrate New Years in Galway - any advice on the best venues/ places for New Year's parties? And anyone know if there will be fireworks anywhere?

Finally if there are any particularly great gigs/ events happening over Christmas it would be great to also here about them?

Thx a million!
    Michelle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Been in massimos for new years a few times and it was always good craic. Easy enough to get to the bar and not mangled busy like some of the spots in town.

As for events...not clued up enough but theres the Christmas carol service in st. Nicholas' s today around 4. May not be ur scene but is excellent. Xmas day swim in blackrock is good fun too ....both for partakers and supporters

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It's not a great place to go out for New Years...at least that's been my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 3 michelleclarke

@stampdmonkey - thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm signed up for the Christmas day swim. I'll try the carol service today - sounds great. thanks for all the tips:)
    @wompa1 - cool, do you have any suggestions on where is good though? thx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I was in Roisin Dubh last NYE. It was brilliant. Bar closed at 11.55pm and reopened at 12.05am until the wee hours.

What age group are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 michelleclarke

ErnieBert wrote: »

What age group are you?

Early thirties. :) Was in the Roisin last night for the Deans gig. just brilliant so that could be a great option.

These is all great tips,
    Thanks everyone,
    Michelle..x

• Advertisement

• Skeff, Dail and Quays are where I've been for it the last few years. Had a good night in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Unless you have a house party with good friends it's crap. Everywhere is wedged, you can forget about getting a taxi home.

Was in Electric last year and they didn't even get the count-down done properly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I've gone out in Galway for New Years Eve probably 8 times. It's a really mixed bag. Just make sure you're with the right crowd of people and I'm sure you'll have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

I went to the House Hotel for New Year Celebrations last year. I thought it was mighty craic.

Not sure if the place is back open no though, no doubt someone on here will know otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Try An Pucan this year...I really like the spot since they did it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭ Finley Important Cannabis

Have to agree. It's the new/rejuvenated hotspot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

But what about the garish puke yellow colour that adorns the exterior?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

snubbleste wrote: »

I like it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

the square with a few cans of cider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭ Finley Important Cannabis

snubbleste wrote: »

Have you ever heard the expression, never judge a book by its cover!?

Have you been inside it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Have you heard the expression it's ok to judge a book's cover by its cover? I doubt you have since I just made it up, but it's what snubbleste did.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you ever heard the expression, never judge a book by its cover!?

Have you been inside it yet?

Yes - although knowing how much design effort is put into book covers (and pub marketing), I don't believe it's a valid statement. And Yes.

It will suit some, I'm sure. But the colour is a good reflection of how I feel about the place now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,863 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I actually find it OK for an evening pint. The staff are sound as well. Wouldn't fancy it on a weekend night though I think. The beer garden should be something else when it's finished.
    The colour is awful though, and that piano/whisky bottle thingy is annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Pucan is going to be packed that night. Really seems to be building a bit of a fanbase. Gonna stay well clear and that's not because of pub snobbery just because it will be impossible to get a nice pint NYE in there. Probably still a better option than Kelly's though for a youngish/oldish mix.

Advertisement