Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Mega Chin wrote: »
    It worries me how fast I recognised that

sigpic6086_1.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,800 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought this was pretty cool. The only picture of snatcher cast during the voice recording sessions:

http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2011/09/snatcher-recording-sessions.html

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I thought this was pretty cool. The only picture of snatcher cast during the voice recording sessions:

http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2011/09/snatcher-recording-sessions.html

Did that come out on TG16? I was looking at getting the PC Engine version but seeing it's a digital comic it seems a bit redundant to go NTSC-J this time around.

Here's an interesting video though:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,800 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Mega-CD version is seen as the definitive version since it has the third act although I thought the third act was crap and prefer how the other versions end. The only way of playing the other versions is to get a fan translation, not sure if any are complete.

The Mega-CD version is seen as the definitive version

So it appears. It also appears to be eleventythousand pounds on eBay. :(

• Advertisement

LoL used to be 80. You try the PAL version? Think it sold better than the US version which sound SFA

There's always emulation :P

There's always emulation :P

Tis true, although I do have my eye on a PSX copy of Policenauts right now, might go for a doubler and buy Marky Mark: Make My Video Snatcher and patch it.

Bit weird that you don't own a Mega-CD considering the shooting classics Keio Flying Squadron and Robo Aleste are onit :)

• Advertisement

Bit weird that you don't own a Mega-CD considering the shooting classics Keio Flying Squadron and Robo Aleste are onit :)

I've never really taken the Mega Drive or Mega CD in to consideration before. Maybe because I had the SNES when I was a pup.

Future purchases one day for sure. Opens up vast, wallet damaging libraries though. Not good! I'm happy out on Saturn and PC Engine for now. :)

Everyone knows the Megadrive had the better shmups than the SNES :) Less slowdown and more mayhem thanks to the MD's faster processor! The SNES would have melted trying to play MUSHA!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh, I have Keio Flying Squadron, hmm, may sell it on fleabay, need to make fundage for an ipad for the wife

• Registered Users Posts: 34,406 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I've never really taken the Mega Drive or Mega CD in to consideration before. Maybe because I had the SNES when I was a pup.

Future purchases one day for sure. Opens up vast, wallet damaging libraries though. Not good! I'm happy out on Saturn and PC Engine for now. :)

Ah man, you're doing yourself a disservice by neglecting the Megadrive shmup library. It's absolutely fantastic. Pisses all over the Snes one.

Only a tiny handful of titles are wallet damaging (Eliminate Down, Gleylancer, Slap Fight and the US version of MUSHA. Seem to be able to get the JP one cheapish). The rest are all very reasonable. It would be a much cheaper selection of games to get than the Saturn library.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ah man, you're doing yourself a disservice by neglecting the Megadrive shmup library. It's absolutely fantastic. Pisses all over the Snes one.

Only a tiny handful of titles are wallet damaging (Eliminate Down, Gleylancer, Slap Fight and the US version of MUSHA. Seem to be able to get the JP one cheapish). The rest are all very reasonable. It would be a much cheaper selection of games to get than the Saturn library.

Where's that o1s1n health warning I made the other day? :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

o1s1n wrote: »

Yeah I love slap fight md .it's one of those arcade perfect meg conversions which cones with a completely different arrange version Pity it tends to go for stupid money though)

Master of the Universe

Where's that o1s1n health warning I made the other day? :pac:

Hahaha!

If there was an 'Oisin's scale of health warnings', and candy cabs were at the excessive drinking/gambling/class A drug taking end, this suggestion would be the equivalent of eating a fry once a week. Megadrive collecting has to be one of the cheapest out there.
    Yeah I love slap fight md .it's one of those arcade perfect meg conversions which cones with a completely different arrange version Pity it tends to go for stupid money though)

It's a pain it's so expensive alright! From what I remember reading about it, it's a genuinely rare game. Aren't too many copies floating about.

Ouch! I remember it going for about €100. Either it's really taken off in price or someine is taking the piss -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEGADRIVE-Slap-Fight-SEGA-GENESIS-Japan-Import-MD-/350217760352?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item518a9aee60

Best thing about MD collecting, plastic clamshells meaning it's easier to get games complete and boxed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Best thing about MD collecting, plastic clamshells meaning it's easier to get games complete and boxed.

Still a shocking amount of loose carts out there though. Who ever thought of throwing away a plastic case?!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Sick so it is, sick!

I would understand if the Nomad was really popular, or if we even had it over here. But there's no excuse.

Fair enough if you only have one game (maybe in the case of a handheld). The game goes in the console. The case gets misplaced.

But how the hell do you do that with multiple games? me no understand.

The only other reason I can think of is if a family member drinks a load of absinthe, stumbles in at night and vomits all over the cases.

Still a shocking amount of loose carts out there though. Who ever thought of throwing away a plastic case?!

I know a lot of mine were stolen when I lent them out to people. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

For me it's as bad as trading games in :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I can take loose carts, what depresses me beyond eternity is the charity shops that get a load of carts, don't see Playstation, Xbox or Wii on the front, assume it's no use and promptly stick it in the bin. These places sell empty dvd cases and pirated versions of Taebo VHSes, and they're sticking Megadrive and S/NES games in the bin?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I can take loose carts, what depresses me beyond eternity is the charity shops that get a load of carts, don't see Playstation, Xbox or Wii on the front, assume it's no use and promptly stick it in the bin. These places sell empty dvd cases and pirated versions of Taebo VHSes, and they're sticking Megadrive and S/NES games in the bin?

WHAT?! I'll have to go rummaging through their bins!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have stuck Keio Flying Squadron and Keio Flying Squadron 2 up on fleabay, to see what happens.
    Unfortunately the case for the MegaCD game is very scratched and the manual is no more but the disk is fine and works, the Saturn game is disk only but in great nick as well.
    We shall see what the gods will decide is fated....
    Fingers crossed for someone with more money than sense and into the Ipad fund it goes!

Just put in an offer on Kula Quest (Kula World to us not in Japan) on ebay. Hurray for having money but money that I should not be spending on games!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have stuck Keio Flying Squadron and Keio Flying Squadron 2 up on fleabay, to see what happens.
    Unfortunately the case for the MegaCD game is very scratched and the manual is no more but the disk is fine and works, the Saturn game is disk only but in great nick as well.
    We shall see what the gods will decide is fated....
    Fingers crossed for someone with more money than sense and into the Ipad fund it goes!

I thought you were anti Apple products?

Or has the brilliance that is the iPad finally gotten through to you :D

Just put in an offer on Kula Quest (Kula World to us not in Japan) on ebay. Hurray for having money but money that I should not be spending on games!

Rub it in :'( I haven't the money for Dark Souls. And to think I was probably the first person on this board to sing the virtues of Demon's Souls. It's not fair!

• Advertisement

Nope, I am not an Apple evangelist at all, but the better half is and she wants one, not for games or browsing but for some other interesting functions.
    She is going to use it as part of a treatment and management programme to assist people on the autistic spectrum, as it happens!
    My wife is quite, quite brilliant, and ASD is one of her areas of expertise, along with the management of disturbed and self-injurious behaviour in people with an ID.
    I do sometimes feel a tad out of my depth in conversation with her!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement