Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

phi3 wrote: »
    Hi Bugnug.
    Have you suffered from anxiety or depression yourself?

Yes I did, I suffered a great deal and was very bad to myself up to the age of about 27 when I was lucky enough to meet somebody in the same boat as myself. This person recommended a counsellor to me and I had to work very hard with this very brilliant counsellor for about 18 months and the last 3 years of my life have been very happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Hi everyone, Has anybody been on Clozapine and if so what have been your experiences on it?

I've been recommended to go on it in the summer if I pass the agranulocytosis test. The Olonzapine has worked well but if the Clozapine reduces the chances of weight gain I'm all for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 tikkaman

Well, i've been on citrol 10mg for about 2 months now and i think there working ok...

some days especially when tired i just get so bloody caught up in circles of negative thought...

i tend to think "how can people like me" if a female shows interest in me i just think its a piss take, i have no real confidence in myself... :( its killing me.

i was meant to go out this week as apart of my CBT.. but just couldn't face it as i was so tired after working flat out on saturday... :(,

my CBT coach is pushing me abit hard and i'm not finding it east to be honest...... after finding out not so long ago that its SA i have....

i thought i was the only one.. in this position... anyone else feel that they cannot have a relationship with the opposite sex....? seems most of you are couples.....

i just don't have the confidence in myself and keep thinking what if i won't be able to talk, get sick if we go for a meal, because i'd be real anxious...

i met someone a while back and feel totally for her, but i couldn't have a relationship, and tried to explain what i had, i feel in love, and she walked away....:( it haunts me..... [cry]

just wish i could conquer this, and feel somewhat NORMAL.

Tikkaman.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

After a year of trying to fool myself into thinking I can beat depression on my own in 1 hour I have a doctors appt to talk about going on meds. This terrifies me. Please tell me it does get better cause most of the time I'm ok and then something will just trigger it off and my logical side keeps battling with my emotional side. I end up feeling miserable and start crying for no reason and end up hurting friends with comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

tikkaman wrote: »
    Well, i've been on citrol 10mg for about 2 months now and i think there working ok...

some days especially when tired i just get so bloody caught up in circles of negative thought...

i tend to think "how can people like me" if a female shows interest in me i just think its a piss take, i have no real confidence in myself... :( its killing me.

i was meant to go out this week as apart of my CBT.. but just couldn't face it as i was so tired after working flat out on saturday... :(,

my CBT coach is pushing me abit hard and i'm not finding it east to be honest...... after finding out not so long ago that its SA i have....

i thought i was the only one.. in this position... anyone else feel that they cannot have a relationship with the opposite sex....? seems most of you are couples.....

i just don't have the confidence in myself and keep thinking what if i won't be able to talk, get sick if we go for a meal, because i'd be real anxious...

i met someone a while back and feel totally for her, but i couldn't have a relationship, and tried to explain what i had, i feel in love, and she walked away....:( it haunts me..... [cry]

just wish i could conquer this, and feel somewhat NORMAL.

Tikkaman.

You can't understand how some of us have partners. I can't understand how a lot of you guys made it to a doctor and were able to tell them about it. Even more so i don't understand how ye're able to do councilling. I'll never be able to do that

• Advertisement

You can't understand how some of us have partners. I can't understand how a lot of you guys made it to a doctor and were able to tell them about it. Even more so i don't understand how ye're able to do councilling. I'll never be able to do that

hi there,

Well looks like i'll be a regular here... lol

Now i was admitted to hospital, sick, loosing weight, pains in the chest...

lost alot of weight, which i couldn't afford to i'm just under 6 3" and was 14 stone...

went down to 11 stone...

my mum got a frined of the family to call over who had SA really really bad and went to this woman, who does CBT.

So i went and she asked a few questions about how i felt, what did i feel in certain situations etc... she just seemed to make sense... right away.

and she told me i had SA.....

and i thought it wasn't common....!!!!!!! her rota for seeing her has gone from 8 weeks to 6 MONTHS, shes that busy......

So it seems we're not alone although it feels like it.... :(

Its only when you reach rock bottom that you say hell with it and start the slow climb upwards.....

i'm here if you want to ask me any questions about it, if i can help you out i will,

by the way i'm 34...

just thought i'd add my age... so you'd see.

take care...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

tikkaman wrote: »
    hi there,

Well looks like i'll be a regular here... lol

Now i was admitted to hospital, sick, loosing weight, pains in the chest...

lost alot of weight, which i couldn't afford to i'm just under 6 3" and was 14 stone...

went down to 11 stone...

my mum got a frined of the family to call over who had SA really really bad and went to this woman, who does CBT.

So i went and she asked a few questions about how i felt, what did i feel in certain situations etc... she just seemed to make sense... right away.

and she told me i had SA.....

and i thought it wasn't common....!!!!!!! her rota for seeing her has gone from 8 weeks to 6 MONTHS, shes that busy......

So it seems we're not alone although it feels like it.... :(

Its only when you reach rock bottom that you say hell with it and start the slow climb upwards.....

i'm here if you want to ask me any questions about it, if i can help you out i will,

by the way i'm 34...

just thought i'd add my age... so you'd see.

take care...

Forgive my ignorance but, even though I have been on this site for a while, the term SA is baffling me? Is is severe anxiety or is it a more medical term?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Shazanne wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance but, even though I have been on this site for a while, the term SA is baffling me? Is is severe anxiety or is it a more medical term?:confused:

Social anxiety?

Social Anxiety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Social Anxiety.
    oh right, thought he might have been referring to schizo affective disorder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭alias141282

Having another bad day. Anyone else out there struggling with their mood?

I just can't stop giving myself a hard time, ruminating about the past. If I could just stop thinking I'd be alright.

Hi mate,

<SNIP> no attempts at diagnosis please

i tend to think the same about the females, and dont go out now hardly at all,

I would suggest you go to a CBT, coach therapist..!! and get them to go over a few questions with you.....

it will open your mind.... and you'll see that you aren't alone.... in the way you feel.

if you have any problems and wanna chat drop me a pm...

tikkam

Having another bad day. Anyone else out there struggling with their mood?

I just can't stop giving myself a hard time, ruminating about the past. If I could just stop thinking I'd be alright.

you have to learn that its ok to think, you cannot stop your mind doing it.....

but you have to say, thats its ok to drift off in thought, and bring your mind into the present.... mindfulness, is good to achieve this....

Also concentrate on breathing.... breath in for 4 seconds and out for 7...

10 times...

tikkaman....

Hi all, I belong here as well... OCD for a long time, chronic stress and recently severe anxiety. I'm happy you are here, and that I'm not alone...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Hi all, I belong here as well... OCD for a long time, chronic stress and recently severe anxiety. I'm happy you are here, and that I'm not alone...

You'll never be alone on here. Even just knowing that the people on this thread are out there is a great comfort. I have not been having too bad a time lately but, of course, I'm now worrying about how long that will last! I find the tiredness associated with anxiety very hard to deal with and it always worries me that it's not the anxiety that causing but but some serious illness, which is one of my greatest fears. Does anyone else feel this way?

I find the tiredness associated with anxiety very hard to deal with and it always worries me that it's not the anxiety that causing but but some serious illness, which is one of my greatest fears. Does anyone else feel this way?

The tiredness is a big problem for me too. Constantly tired, takes forever to get to sleep and once I get to sleep I never get enough. Then during the day most of my anxiety comes from how I'll cope while still being so tired. My brain is too scrambled and slow reacting from being tired to think straight, so I get anxious and make it worse. It's a catch 22 I struggle with more than any other part of anxiety, tired because I'm anxious, anxious because I'm tired.

Used to think it might have been other illnesses causing the tiredness too so went to the doctor a few times. In a nutshell he'd say there's nothing physically wrong, it's mental so get over it. The things I see advised everywhere to help too end up making me worse. Exercise leaves me too sore to function because I don't sleep properly to recover. Breathing exercises end up leaving me frustrated since forcing my breathing like that feels too unnatural etc.

CBT books and stuff help me lots while I read them, but when I finish them I relapse and rereading it again doesn't help. I get a little closer each time though so I'll keep plugging away at it until I get a complete breakthrough, which I will, and which I'll have have to do now the world can read this. Only planned on writing a line or two at the start. Sorry about that!

i only found out recently that tiredness is associated with anxiety... been tired most evenings is a real pain...

i was meant to go out and battle my SA, but i just couldn't be bothered lately, i don't have many friends cause they all stabbed me in the back for their personal gain.

And those i am friendly with are nearly all settled down....

makes it that little bit harder to go out...

tikkaman.

Anyone else find your heart beats like really strong? I'm not sure how to explain it but i can feel my heart beating through my whole body. In bed at night sometimes it moves the bed and the bed hits off the wall. Aparently other people aren't aware of their heart beat at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

Seroquel has calmed me but made me a bit dull and flat.

I take those kalms tablets (coz ya don't have to go to the doctor for em) I honestly don't know how much good they do though. I think they calm me a small bit. But i don't take them much. Maybe if i took them more frequently they'd work better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Went to counselling today and just bawled for the entire session, feel bit better now though, but very anxious since the weekend for no particular reason, keep thinking the most horrible things will happen and then panic over it and binge eat. :( Really getting stuck in a vicious circle right now and trying my best to get free but it's so hard!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Starting CBT tomorrow. Am starting to get a bit nervous about it now. hope I can sleep tonight. I suppose the first session won't really about discussing things. Can't help but be nervous about it though. But at least I'm trying to get some things sorted. Can't get any help from the HSE, through my medical card, which is ridiculous, so I'm going to have to pay a minimum of 50euros a week for this, and when i'm unemployed it really is going to be tough.

I'm looking forward to it though. Well that's assuming it'll do some good and i can sort myself out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Hey guys, thought I'd write a bit here.

I've been suffering for anxiety for ages, and have been having a really hard time this past year which is sending me over the edge. I had a very painful breakup with my ex in early 2009 (found out he was cheating on me by reading his emails, he had denied it repeatedly and told me I was crazy) and was really hurt etc but got over that fairly quickly. Onwards and upwards and all that. Now have a great new boyfriend, but had awful luck with health. I was told I had a bad internal infection which could have damaged organs, I found out I had polycystic ovary syndrome, I have gyno problems that won't go away, had another irregular smear result after 3 years of irregular smears and colposcopies, ongoing bowel problems, chronic pain, fatigue and so on.

I've been toying with the idea of counselling for ages, but this time it was recommended to me by my GP and personal tutor at uni. The thing is, I've been on the waiting list since February and so far have not even had an assessment. I sent in a form with my details and reasons for depression and was told to expect an appt soon but still waiting. It makes me think that they think my problems aren't serious enough which is how I've been feeling all this time - that I'm silly to waste appointments, that other people have it much worse than me etc. I have always suffered from depression and anxiety, even when my health was OK and I had no 'obvious' reason to be depressed, but now I do have reasons and it's so difficult. But still I am being made to feel that other people deserve counselling and help much more than me, that I shouldn't moan because other people have it worse etc. I feel bad for being depressed when my life is mostly good.

I don't know what this post will achieve really, just nice to get my thoughts out there I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Hey guys, thought I'd write a bit here.

I've been suffering for anxiety for ages, and have been having a really hard time this past year which is sending me over the edge. I had a very painful breakup with my ex in early 2009 (found out he was cheating on me by reading his emails, he had denied it repeatedly and told me I was crazy) and was really hurt etc but got over that fairly quickly. Onwards and upwards and all that. Now have a great new boyfriend, but had awful luck with health. I was told I had a bad internal infection which could have damaged organs, I found out I had polycystic ovary syndrome, I have gyno problems that won't go away, had another irregular smear result after 3 years of irregular smears and colposcopies, ongoing bowel problems, chronic pain, fatigue and so on.

I've been toying with the idea of counselling for ages, but this time it was recommended to me by my GP and personal tutor at uni. The thing is, I've been on the waiting list since February and so far have not even had an assessment. I sent in a form with my details and reasons for depression and was told to expect an appt soon but still waiting. It makes me think that they think my problems aren't serious enough which is how I've been feeling all this time - that I'm silly to waste appointments, that other people have it much worse than me etc. I have always suffered from depression and anxiety, even when my health was OK and I had no 'obvious' reason to be depressed, but now I do have reasons and it's so difficult. But still I am being made to feel that other people deserve counselling and help much more than me, that I shouldn't moan because other people have it worse etc. I feel bad for being depressed when my life is mostly good.

I don't know what this post will achieve really, just nice to get my thoughts out there I guess!

There could be many reasons why your waiting. What type of service where you referred to? Was it the Psychological Services? Or was it a specific counselling service? Sometimes things can just be lost, believe me it happens.

Where about are you located? There are generally lots of options available around therapy, you could go private, or you could contact a low fee service. It is rare I will allow someone to jump my list, and the same in reverse. That is I don't look at a referral and say, ah they can wait. I don't know what type of form you filled, but as therapists referral letters tell us little about the person, it only when we have assessed the person we know the full story.

So my suggestions would be either the service you where referred to and ask how long you will have to wait, contact another service, or go private. If you in Dublin there are plently of low cost counselling services, but they do exist outside Dublin too. Best of luck with it and I hope that helps a little.

Well i got cbt tonight, and i'm a little bervous for the first time in ages...

thinking i will never get past this... and such, not been or had time to do my tasks this week with work and being sooooo tired after work has just increased the anxiety i think...

i'm just fed up of feeling crap.... :( And not being able to go out and chat up the females.... i feel totally lost...

Tikkaman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Odysseus wrote: »
    There could be many reasons why your waiting. What type of service where you referred to? Was it the Psychological Services? Or was it a specific counselling service? Sometimes things can just be lost, believe me it happens.

It's a student service at my university. My application definitely wasn't lost, I've contacted them several times and keep being told I'll be seen 'very soon'.
    Where about are you located? There are generally lots of options available around therapy, you could go private, or you could contact a low fee service. It is rare I will allow someone to jump my list, and the same in reverse. That is I don't look at a referral and say, ah they can wait. I don't know what type of form you filled, but as therapists referral letters tell us little about the person, it only when we have assessed the person we know the full story.

In London. I can't afford to pay for counselling, as I have hardly any money, that's one reason I'm so anxious. I've checked out some low fee services but even they're too expensive. People have told me counselling is 'worth it' but I genuinely have not a penny to spare at the moment. I'm spending a lot on medications and things. I just filled in a 'counselling request' form and sent it in, on the advice of my GP. I didn't get an actual referral. The GP asked me about my mood, if I was suicidal etc and deemed it a non-urgent thing I suppose.
    So my suggestions would be either the service you where referred to and ask how long you will have to wait, contact another service, or go private. If you in Dublin there are plently of low cost counselling services, but they do exist outside Dublin too. Best of luck with it and I hope that helps a little.

They keep saying 'soon' and 'next week'. I might ring again tomorrow and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    It's a student service at my university. My application definitely wasn't lost, I've contacted them several times and keep being told I'll be seen 'very soon'.

In London. I can't afford to pay for counselling, as I have hardly any money, that's one reason I'm so anxious. I've checked out some low fee services but even they're too expensive. People have told me counselling is 'worth it' but I genuinely have not a penny to spare at the moment. I'm spending a lot on medications and things. I just filled in a 'counselling request' form and sent it in, on the advice of my GP. I didn't get an actual referral. The GP asked me about my mood, if I was suicidal etc and deemed it a non-urgent thing I suppose.

They keep saying 'soon' and 'next week'. I might ring again tomorrow and ask.

Chase the up, fair enough I understand the fees can be difficult for some people. Other options would be ask your GP to refer you to the equivalent of our Psychological Services. Though the treatment format may be the same, it may be another option. Are there any other free counselling servcices over there? I don't know the situation in London, but I reckon you should find one.

I would imagine there should be something you can afford if you ask in the right places, by this I mean even paying less than a fiver or nothing. For example there a few good few community run services over here, I'm guessing but I would say there has to be something similar over there, check out local directories and the like.

Keep pestering your student service, you may not like having too do it, but if that gets you a result; it will be worth it.

In most cases yes therapy is worth it, so I hope you get the benefit of it. TBH I'm appalled at the difficulty you having in accessing treatment. So get back on to the GP and see if he has any other options. Another idea may be down a search for counselling training courses in your area, as some faciilities offer very low fee or free counselling. You will be seen by a somebody who is still in training, but the will have been deemed ready to start seeing clients under supervision.

Sorry I can't be of much help.

I always feel a bit strange when i actually have a reason to cry. Like a few nights ago i was crying but there was actually a reason for it. I won't go into why coz it's a bit complicated to say the least.
    But in a way it feels good to have a reason. I hate when i cry for no reason.
    Not that i like having reasons to cry.... but i think ye know what I mean!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

I always feel a bit strange when i actually have a reason to cry. Like a few nights ago i was crying but there was actually a reason for it. I won't go into why coz it's a bit complicated to say the least.
    But in a way it feels good to have a reason. I hate when i cry for no reason.
    Not that i like having reasons to cry.... but i think ye know what I mean!

I can relate to that. I went through a period about two months back where I'd just get teary eyed for no reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

novella, we cant give medical advice here. speak with your doctor.

bob50, please dont give medical advice or make attempts at diagnosing here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement