Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Talbot 2.5L diesel engine needed

• 03-09-2009 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm posting for a friend who needs either a full engine or a set of pistons and conrods for a 1991(ish) Talbot camper van. It is a 2.5 diesel and he has been trying up and down the country with little success.

Anyone know where I might find one or who to contact for parts? Heres a pic - this isn't the actual van its just a pic I found on gumtree.

252592669.jpg

Thanks!

'cptr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm not sure that it's an actual "Talbot" engine that you're looking for. Those yokes were badge engineered. It's either a Peugeot/Citroen (same engine) or a FIAT engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

AS Peasant said . If it's got a silver topped (aluminium) engine , with fan belts on both sides its prob a Peugeot . If it's got a black rectangular plastic cover , with only belts on the vehicles RHS it's a Fiat . I think I've a decent Fiat 2.5 bottom end complete here . Was in a van we bought for it's gearbox , and I drove it home , flying it , not smokey .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

You are right - its the Peugeot 2.5 engine that I need to find. There are several old Peugeot Boxer vans with 1.9TD engines around but this 2.5 is elusive. U25/661 is the engine code or its also called a crd93 engine (Fiat changed it afterward in their Ducato versions).

I was hoping there was a legendary campervan graveyard somewhere that might have one. I'd imagine the engines go on long after the bodies have rotted off...

Thanks,

'cptr

If you find it , let me know! I'd love a "graveyard" like that... I have a rotten ducato Panel van , bought purely for it's gearbox, and I'm stunned how much useful stuff I've raided from it! And it's working as a storage box too! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Alesi27

Hi Fellow Campers,
    Should anyone come across a Talbot in a breakers, please let me know, I'm looking for a grille badge for a Talbot.
    Good luck in your search for an engine OP.

Cheers

• Advertisement

one of my mates is breaking one , he has an engine for the OP , I can ask him about the grille badge for you .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Alesi27

Hi,

Thanks for that. It would be great if he had one - hard to come across to be honest.
    I'm in Wexford so no prob travelling to Tipp if that's where he is.

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

Hi Lads,

My friend is in the same situiation as the OP. Any luck with getting the engine ? Any idea where to get another one ??

I need to check with him the exact spec of the engine ,at a guess its a Fiat ducato of approx 15 yrs old.

thanks

I sourced a complete engine for the OP.. but I think he repaired his own after.. I've a FIAT 2.5 (1990-1994) bottom end here , and a mate with a complete Peugeot/Citroen 2.5 engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

Thanks Aiden, PM sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Sorry for dragging up a really old thread, but I'm in exactly the same position as the OP, so was wondering if maybe any of the people who posted in this thread, who I know are regular posters know of any complete engines available at the moment?

Most of the posters in this thread are long gone.
    No regulars I recognise.
    You can find "Aidan" via signature, he'd be my first call tbh.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Talbots were very popular in the UK, always thought they were identical to
    the early Ducato engine, but not 100% sure.

Maybe try Traynors in the north, big scrapper for engines ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

There talbot express parts advwrtised in Roscommon on donedeal worth phoning. If you take a look at talbotoc.com lots of people have chosen to upgradr to newer engines when their old lump has failed. If you can get the 2.5 fiat gearbox and running gear you can mate it up to the later 2.5 and 2.8 engines. If you can get the 1.9 gearbox and running gear you can with mate up with the xud engines from the 306 / 406 etc which are ten a penny thes days.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Most of the posters in this thread are long gone.
    No regulars I recognise.
    You can find "Aidan" via signature, he'd be my first call tbh.

Sorry. I recognized a few of the names and presumed it was because they were still active. Maybe I recognize them from the days of yore
    There talbot express parts advwrtised in Roscommon on donedeal worth phoning. If you take a look at talbotoc.com lots of people have chosen to upgradr to newer engines when their old lump has failed. If you can get the 2.5 fiat gearbox and running gear you can mate it up to the later 2.5 and 2.8 engines. If you can get the 1.9 gearbox and running gear you can with mate up with the xud engines from the 306 / 406 etc which are ten a penny thes days.

That's an actually very interesting prospect and one I will look into straight away. Thank you

Aidan's gone, people took advantage/a disliking to his helpful nature, I believe.
    That and the recession ended...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Aidan's gone, people took advantage/a disliking to his helpful nature, I believe.
    That and the recession ended...
    More's the pity - he was the life of this forum for years. He got a lot of people sorted with their van issues. Including me when my fridge died two days before sailing.

Yurp.

Advertisement