Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Offseason Cuts/Trades/Signings/Franchise Tags etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Samuel doesn't fit the new scheme we're looking to run which will require more press coverage. It's a trade that means the owners save 9m. Understandable

but what are we gona use the cap on unless we sign shady to a long term deal or get a few free agents after the draft we where as well off keeping him as a situation player for a 7th heres praying for a tom brady pick to get some value back for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

nerd69 wrote: »
    but what are we gona use the cap on unless we sign shady to a long term deal or get a few free agents after the draft we where as well off keeping him as a situation player for a 7th heres praying for a tom brady pick to get some value back for it

Because you can't justify paying a situational player that much money. It's still a business after all. The hope is that we re-sign McCoy and Maclin with that cash.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Because you can't justify paying a situational player that much money. It's still a business after all. The hope is that we re-sign McCoy and Maclin with that cash.

if he helps you towards a superbowl at all hes worth the cap room unless your gona use it if they do sigh maclin and/or mccoy or pick up 1 or 2 free agents im happy with this deal if not what was the point

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

if he helps you towards a superbowl at all hes worth the cap room unless your gona use it if they do sigh maclin and/or mccoy or pick up 1 or 2 free agents im happy with this deal if not what was the point

Because he can't cover the slot, nor can the other two. The Eagles need a decent slot corner alot more than they need a zone corner who isn't great at tackling, which is what Samuel is. The other two are man corners which made Samuel the odd man out and clearly so.

Samuel will be much better off in a scheme that suits his skills, just as the Eagles will be with a slot corner.

Syferus wrote: »
    Because he can't cover the slot, nor can the other two. The Eagles need a decent slot corner alot more than they need a zone corner who isn't great at tackling, which is what Samuel is. The other two are man corners which made Samuel the odd man out and clearly so.

Samuel will be much better off in a scheme that suits his skills, just as the Eagles will be with a slot corner.

im not gona lie i know this at heart and have known since before last year but its hard to accept that we only got a 7th for someone so talented on a positive note its gona help our safteys i liked coleman last year and its only gona help if hes not left on an island with a wr because asante jumped on a wrong play again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Looks like Weedon wont have to beat out Colt McCoy as McCoy could be traded or released.

Soharsh on McCoy. Weedon will have Trent Richardson and someone like Alshon Jeffrey to work with and Colt had an injured peyton hillis and greg little.

Incredibly stupid stuff from the Browns in my opinion

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828a9842/article/colt-mccoy-on-the-way-out-of-cleveland?module=HP11_headline_stack

• Registered Users Posts: 37,495 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Looks like Weedon wont have to beat out Colt McCoy as McCoy could be traded or released.

Soharsh on McCoy. Weedon will have Trent Richardson and someone like Alshon Jeffrey to work with and Colt had an injured peyton hillis and greg little.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828a9842/article/colt-mccoy-on-the-way-out-of-cleveland?module=HP11_headline_stack
    As it says there, if they are certain that Weeden is going to start next season then its a good move. I personally never thought the guy would make it in the NFL(McCoy that is) but he looked like he had a chance at one stage. He will find a new home though, probably will end up being released first. I'd fancy the Texans might look to take him if he ends up a free agent. He is a hero down there and they released Leinart and currently only have Schaub and TJ Yates. He'd have a chance to develop there and in a few years you'd never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The Packers are interested apparently: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/27/report-browns-talking-colt-mccoy-trade-with-packers/

The Browns have had plenty time to look at McCoy though, and regardless of who's around him he hasn't shown much really. If they don't think he's the answer then they have to move on.. they were at nothing in that division as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I' happy for McCoy that he doesn't have to play for the Browns anymore. I hope he ends up somewhere good.

Redskins signed former Giants linebacker Jonathan Goff. Good signing for the Skins.

Goff was showing alot of promise before missing last year with injuries. Disappointed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    The Packers are interested apparently: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/27/report-browns-talking-colt-mccoy-trade-with-packers/

The Browns have had plenty time to look at McCoy though, and regardless of who's around him he hasn't shown much really. If they don't think he's the answer then they have to move on.. they were at nothing in that division as it was.

Who exactly has been around him? His best receiver was a RB ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Redskins signed former Giants linebacker Jonathan Goff. Good signing for the Skins.

Goff was showing alot of promise before missing last year with injuries. Disappointed

Goff is a good player with losts of potential. His release was very strange to say the least.

McCoy got a very raw deal. Holmgren was adamant after he was drafted that he'd sit at minimum an entire year, but injuries forced him into playing much sooner. He doesn't have a big arm but he's a smart player who's a proven leader and with great 'intangibles'. I can see him having at least as much success in green Bay's offense as Flynn and with their similarities it's easy to see why they'd want him. I'd say McCoy would prefer to land some place where there was a decent chance of him winning the starting job down the line rather that being instantly boxed into being a career back-up.

What an odd move by the Redskins releasing Jabar Gaffney. Now i'm not claiming Gaffney is anything out of the ordinary but he is a very solid WR. I had him on my fantasy team last year and he seemed to have 60-70 yards every week.

Would have been a nice option for RGIII to play with.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828c8168/article/jabar-gaffney-released-by-washington-redskins?module=HP11_headline_stack

He led the Redskins in both receptions and receiving yards in 2011 with 68 catches for 947 yards and five touchdowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Matt Leinart to Raiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

What an odd move by the Redskins releasing Jabar Gaffney. Now i'm not claiming Gaffney is anything out of the ordinary but he is a very solid WR. I had him on my fantasy team last year and he seemed to have 60-70 yards every week.

Would have been a nice option for RGIII to play with.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828c8168/article/jabar-gaffney-released-by-washington-redskins?module=HP11_headline_stack

He led the Redskins in both receptions and receiving yards in 2011 with 68 catches for 947 yards and five touchdowns.

The redskins will look to stretch the field vertically and leave gaps for RG3 to run if needed. Gaffney won't do that. Well that's what they should do !

The redskins will look to stretch the field vertically and leave gaps for RG3 to run if needed. Gaffney won't do that. Well that's what they should do !

RGIII is a pass 1st QB. Way more of a pocket passer than people give him credit for. Wont run anywhere near as much as Cam IMO.

Stretching the field is great and I'm sure thats what they got Garcon in for. But if you stretch the field why not have a guy in the slot to pick up handy 5-7 yard passes.

RGIII is a pass 1st QB. Way more of a pocket passer than people give him credit for. Wont run anywhere near as much as Cam IMO.

Stretching the field is great and I'm sure thats what they got Garcon in for. But if you stretch the field why not have a guy in the slot to pick up handy 5-7 yard passes.

True he his a pass first QB. But the step up on D will be massive. So he's going to have a limited playbook at first. They have to play to his main strength first while he steps up in the passing game. Stretching the field will also allow his running backs to become more important in the passing game.

I'd expect the redskins run game to improve much more with RG3 there.

True he his a pass first QB. But the step up on D will be massive. So he's going to have a limited playbook at first. They have to play to his main strength first while he steps up in the passing game. Stretching the field will also allow his running backs to become more important in the passing game.

I'd expect the redskins run game to improve much more with RG3 there.

Can see them stealing some plays from the Eagles play books. They should run 1st play everygame as a bootleg deepshot, like the Eagles ran with Vick and DeSean Jackson the season before last.

Cant understand why they didnt draft a speedster WR in the 3rd round of the draft. The Cousins pick was horrible.

Can see them stealing some plays from the Eagles play books. They should run 1st play everygame as a bootleg deepshot, like the Eagles ran with Vick and DeSean Jackson the season before last.

Cant understand why they didnt draft a speedster WR in the 3rd round of the draft. The Cousins pick was horrible.

Well Shanahan will stick to his zone read run/PA a fair bit. Don't see them changing playbook to much, just decreasing his pass first options. The role out from his PA could be deadly if used effectively.

Ye they need a Wide out that just run's straight nothing else. Very strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I'd take Gaffney back in a heartbeat. Dunno if he'd come though

EDIT: Pats it is. Surely they'll have to let a receiver go though now.

Cousins is insurance for RG3's almost envitable injuries in the coming years. He can be developed into quite a good player alongside RG3 and if he was to win even one or two games for them in the next four years his total value will have been more than equal to almost any other 4th rounder they could have picked, it's a quality time over quanity of time decision. Could be brilliant for the Redskins, just not one that's great for Cousins' medium term prospects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

spiralism wrote: »

EDIT: Pats it is. Surely they'll have to let a receiver go though now.

Bring them all to camp and make them fight for a spot. Best way to do it raises the bar then in camp.

Here is the full list of NE WR:

Wes Welker*, Brandon Lloyd, Deion Branch, Donte' Stallworth, Chad Ochocinco, Anthony Gonzalez, Matthew Slater, Julian Edelman, Jeremy Ebert, Tiquan Underwood, Britt Davis and now Gaffney.

Syferus wrote: »
    Cousins is insurance for RG3's almost envitable injuries in the coming years. Cousins can be developed into quite a good player alongside RG3 and if he was to win even one or two games for them in the next four years his total value will have been more than equal to almost any other 4th rounder they could have picked, it's a quality time over quanity of time decision. Could be brilliant for the Redskins, just not one that's great for Cousins' medium term prospects.

I'm not buying it.

They could draft a mid-round qb prospect next year and drafted a WR/TE/RB this year, esp when they were going to release Gaffney.

Cousins is of no-use. Sexy Rexy Grossman is a more than capable back-up.

I'm not buying it.

They could draft a mid-round qb prospect next year and drafted a WR/TE/RB this year, esp when they were going to release Gaffney.

and what happens if rg3 who likes to run and is quite thin for the nfl meets a big mlb and gets laid out for the season do you really want grossman anywhere near the field again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

and what happens if rg3 who likes to run and is quite thin for the nfl meets a big mlb and gets laid out for the season do you really want grossman anywhere near the field again

But you could make that point for most teams in the NFL. For example if Philly Rivers went down would you expect Charlie Whitehurst to bring the Chargers to the playoffs? Not likely. Any side that loses it's starting QB is going to struggle and if RGIII went down during the season, it'd be understandable if the Redskins didn't perform for the rest. As it is, they don't need two QB's of equal standing (with Rex probably in a better position having experience of the NFL and the playbook).

But you could make that point for most teams in the NFL. For example if Philly Rivers went down would you expect Charlie Whitehurst to bring the Chargers to the playoffs? Not likely. Any side that loses it's starting QB is going to struggle and if RGIII went down during the season, it'd be understandable if the Redskins didn't perform for the rest. As it is, they don't need two QB's of equal standing (with Rex probably in a better position having experience of the NFL and the playbook).

but rivers never runs rg3 will look at vick he gets injured annually its just a fact that hes gona miss games

cousins prob wont do much this year but he can be a very good qb next year at the very least you can do like the eagles do and get upgraded picks for him ala aj feely and kevin kolb

I'm not buying it.

You mean the Interceptosaurus Rex? He will be #2 for next year and after that he'll either have to make do with being a #3 or continue his life as a journey-man QB. The Cousins pick was a vote of total no-confidence in Grossman by Shanahan.

What you want from a back-up QB is reliable, even if unspectacular, production. 230 yards passing an two touchdowns. Alex Smith 2011, if you will. The one thing that will never be said about Rex Grossman is that he's reliable.

Few things IMO.

RGIII wont run as much as Newton or vick. He will alot of run play action and roll out but Shanahan wont run him up the middle or anything. He is too small. 15kg lighter and 3 inches shorter than Cam. They will surely realise he wont hold up to the pounding if he is running 5-10 times a game.

Think ye are being hard on Rex. He is not great but he is an awful lot better than Cousins. Rex mananged to win a few games last year (beating the Giants twice :( ). If Cousins became as good as Rex he'd be doing well.

I think it was a poor couple of selections from the Skins picking Josh LeRibeus and Kirk Cousins.

• Advertisement

Didn't rexman get dropped for losing one game? When he was dropped they lost 5 on the bounce? When they brought him back they started playing better. Rexman is a perfectly adequate back up in any team.

More so than Matt Leinart

Advertisement