Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Promotions Thread *Please read post 1* (*Mod Warning Post #3947)

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Posts about Irish Promotions go in the Irish Promotions Thread, NLW_Info, you know this. Moved to the Irish Promotions thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Anyone go last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

First Irish indie show since one dark day I went to DCW, really enjoyed it. They're onto something there, great crowd who are absolutely dying for it. We'll be giving it a full review in the next podcast if anyone wants to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pingi

I did, was great craic, will definitely be back.

Pete Dunne had a cracker of a match, I didn't catch his opponents name but he was very good. The heel D4 owner and the Wards were gas. I'm sorry,I'm too hungover for a proper review, but basicly there was nothing I didn't like.

Ryan Smile was his opponent. English guy, heard great things but never seen him before. He was excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

I went along on Friday night and had a fun time. I won't bother with a full review but some thoughts;

* The whole feel of the show was very different to the usual Irish wrestling card, which is what attracted me into attending in the first place. I hadn't gone to an Irish wrestling card in years, after getting burnt by DCW back in 2010 and after deciding NLW family friendly cards were a bit samey. But this felt like a professionally run outfit with a clear vision for what it wanted its product to be; it felt distinct and fresh.

* The Tivoli theater was a nice set-up, certainly a nice change from the GAA halls commonly associated with the scene. At €10 the entry fee was very reasonable I thought. The bouncers on the door left a bad taste in my mouth though I must say; it was pissing rain so I had brought an umbrella with me, and was told in no uncertain terms that I would have to check it into the cloakroom for €3. The bouncer then leaned in and sneered "We wouldn't want you getting carried away with your little wrestling show, would we?". What a ****ing **** like. Fair enough, you need a sense of humour with wrestling but I didn't march across town in torrential rain just to have the piss taken out of me at the door before handing over €13 for the privilege. I ended up hiding the brolly in my coat and saving myself the three quid, because I'm hardcore.

* I missed the very beginning of the show, which I believe may have involved a stand up set from former NWA Ireland champ and current comedian Adam Abz. The theater was packed anyway, with the layout giving the place more of a night club vibe with a wrestling ring in the middle, as opposed to a typical theater or sport's hall set-up. Tucker was kicking the **** out of a guy doing an Emo gimmick in the opener. Tucker's offence was tight and convincing, and he had a great connection with the crowd. His opponent sold well, and got heat with his overtly effeminate mannerisms. This being wrestling, being Emo makes you a homosexual, and being a homosexual makes you a heel. Tucker gets the win with a perfect looking Swanton from the top to a big ovation.

* Jamie Coleman was introduced, doing a heel owner gimmick with a fake wig and D4 accent. Coleman is a naturally funny guy with great timing, and I always enjoy his Schick. But in setting up the evening main event between The Wards and "two scrotes [he] found on the street", I felt his description of the Wards as "gypsies" and "knackers" was pretty tasteless, even within the context of a heel wrestling promo. Joey Cabray is an excellent wrestler and I actually really like the idea of the Wards as babyfaces, but the portrayal probably requires a bit more sensitivity than this. Then again, perhaps expecting political correctness from a show titled "F*CK PG!" would be a bit like expecting the Dubliners to perform at the after party of a UVF meeting.

* A sizable portion of the audience was comprised almost entirely of cretinous drunkards. Cans and bawdy heckles were the order of the night for many of them. The second bout was between two gentlemen from Birmingham, a Pete Dunne and Ryan Smile. Dunne entered first, and was booed because, you know, he's from England and that. "800 years, beggorah!", the tattooed yokels slurred. Dunne was booked to play heel anyway so it was fine. His opponent, Smile, was a charismatic and very athletic looking chap who made a real effort to get the crowd going. He was rewarded for this by the Nobel laureates by chants of "Obama! Obama!" and "Yes you can!", due to the colour of his skin, presumably. ****ing hell. Anyway, Smile took it in good spirits and put on one hell of a match. A "This is Awesome!" chant broke out early on, and the pair left to a strong ovation and another chant of "Please come back". A really strong, athletic bout.

* Ending the first half of the show was a mixed tag match between the Ballymun Bruiser and Kaaza (?) versus a pair doing a fitness gimmick. Brusier stunnered his female opponent before power bombing the other chap through a table for the win. The lads approved.

* After the break, Paul Tracey put Sammy D. over in a solid bout. People were getting increasingly hammered by this stage and the pair's technical effort failed to capture their imagination as some of the earlier matches had, but this was good, crisp stuff.

* Damien Corvin beat Sean Brennan next. Both men look the part and put on a really fast paced, fun match with lots of dives and strikes from Brennan. Corvin does a Goth/Vampire gimmick while Brennan reminds me increasingly of Austin Aries. Corvin gets the win after some red mist.

* The Wards defeated two guys portraying heroin addicts in the main event. Dueling chants of "Lets go junkies!" and "Lets go travelers!" inevitably break out. It is what it is. In the ring, the action is solid, with Luther Ward looking like the real star of the show. With a strong look, flashy move-set (he broke out topés and a Chaos Theory German tonight) and fun gimmick, he is an easy talent to get behind.

* The group will return to the Tivoli next month with the brilliantly titled "OTT: An Outer Space Odyssey". I would strongly recommend the show to anyone who fancies some hard-hitting wrestling action and tongue in cheek humour. With a few kinks worked out, I think the lads could be onto a winner with this new wrestling promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Whiplash

Just to comment of the Ryan Smile Obama chants. They were started by two of his friends. Its an inside joke between them. Ryan looked at them and said "guys i'm a face!", so it was I who started the yes you can chant. I figured it was more positive and had the obama connection. No racist disrespect was intended. Plus I kinda help start the Please come back chant also :P.

Ryan Smile and Pete Dunne are great talents. I hope to see these guys back over here more often. Overall like everyone here in attendance stated, it was a great show, very different from the usual shows and the venue was great for it. I'm pissed that I can't make the next one, but hopefully the OTT shows will be around for a long time.

Whiplash wrote: »
    Just to comment of the Ryan Smile Obama chants. They were started by two of his friends. Its an inside joke between them. Ryan looked at them and said "guys i'm a face!", so it was I who started the yes you can chant. I figured it was more positive and had the obama connection. No racist disrespect was intended. Plus I kinda help start the Please come back chant also :P.

Ryan Smile and Pete Dunne are great talents. I hope to see these guys back over here more often. Overall like everyone here in attendance stated, it was a great show, very different from the usual shows and the venue was great for it. I'm pissed that I can't make the next one, but hopefully the OTT shows will be around for a long time.

Cheers. That restores my faith in humanity somewhat!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pingi

Also regarding umbrellas issue. Myself and the OH walked in with umbrellas no hassle, weren't asked to check them in. Mates arrived after with umbrelllas and overnight bags, same deal. Thought all he staff were sound.

I dunno why you got picked on.

That review of last week's OTT show is here for anyone interested, from around the 30:00 mark: https://soundcloud.com/raginrick/low-blows-xxvii-vladimir-putins-birthday-special

• Advertisement

Right so cards on the table time. I've waited for an announcement and none as come. What dates is Matt Sydal doing in the Republic this month?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭montyrebel

none that I have heard off, just the PWU supershow 2 on 19th

montyrebel wrote: »
    none that I have heard off, just the PWU supershow 2 on 19th

Evan/Matt did an interview a number of weeks ago saying he was (hopefully) Wrestling in Dublin.

Just don't want to drive past a poster for the show the day it happens.

What date is the Liberty Hall card? He would be an excellent addition to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

rovert wrote: »
    Evan/Matt did an interview a number of weeks ago saying he was (hopefully) Wrestling in Dublin.

Just don't want to drive past a poster for the show the day it happens.

Was talking to him today, his only show is in Belfast on the 19th for PWU.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Over The Top Wrestling

Over The Top Wrestling returns on Saturday November 15th with ''OUTER SPACE ODYSSEY'' The follow up to their massive debut event ''F*CK PG!"

Ireland's only dedictated over 18's wrestling promotion features over the top characters and the very best performers wrestling has to offer! There will also be two fully stocked bars with special drinks promotions at the event, and we can guarantee you a heart stopping, action packed night of entertainment!

The event will take place live at the Tivoli Theatre, 135-138 Francis Street, Dublin.
    Doors Open 7 pm / Show Starts 8:oo pm
    Tickets are €10

Tickets are available from WRESTLING MANIA, Top floor of St Stephen's green shopping centre, Dublin open Monday - Sunday 10:30 - 17:30 Telephone: (01) 405 3525

Tickets are also on sale from The Tivoli box office Tivoli Theatre, 135-138 Francis Street, Dublin 8, Ireland. Box Office Opening Hours: 10 am – 6 pm, Monday – Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FFPW Office

NEXT SATURDAY - LIBERTY HALL THEATRE

10590652_10152299588732539_2926790539217988883_n.jpg?oh=5eaf26ff78b1bf3c779a875e736dd2ec&oe=54892A54&__gda__=1422496769_01014f40713d18c9544c9c764fe774b7

Pro Wrestling Supershow returns to Dublin!

Some of the best Independent wrestlers in the world will descend on the Liberty Hall Theatre on October 25th for another night of fantastic wrestling action on the edge of Dublin's River Liffey.

More names are set to be confirmed in the coming days with this show set to feature a TAG TEAM TABLES match. Plus the Irish Junior Heavyweight Championship will be defended on the night.

Doors open 6:30pm with Bell time 7pm, Full bar service available on the night. Tickets are only €11 (including Booking fee) with a maximum capacity on the night of 400 seats. Tickets are expected to sell-out well in advance so purchasing your tickets early is advised.

Tickets can be purchased from www.ctb.ie Or by calling the Liberty Hall Box office on 0818 205 205

Or from WRESTLING MANIA in St. Stephen's Green shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭therickreport

sorry for my delay in getting back to you all (don't ever move to Greystones) but I was at the FFPW show on Saturday. I had fun there.
    it wasn't as much fun as the previous one and I think the show was missing something without the Wards or else a really big name to
    main event the show, but it was still a reall all round good event

1) Triple Threat match - Manic Mac vs Rocky Star vs Mortis the clown
    Manic Mac was missed at the last show but he's in action again. he is just the perfect little dickhead who can get heat easily from any crowd. Rocky Star was in a
    6-man tag at the last show, so we didn't see too much of him then. But he's got a good gimmick and nice energy and did pretty well here. Mortis the clown was a great
    idea to bring out, with Halloween just down the road. He even comes out to the song This Is Halloween. It was a pretty basic paint by numbers triple threat with the
    heels teaming up at first but eventually fighting each other. Mortis the clown picked up the win. decent opener

2) 6-person mixed tag match
    This appeared to be Team FFPW vs Team PWU (at least judging by the accents on the heel team). Katey Harvey was the only one I recognised in the match. The face team
    had a guy in a mask and a Tyler Breeze wannabe. Both were obviously very green but showed lots of potential, especially the Tyler Breeze guy. The girl on the PWU team
    also looked very good (in the ring I mean :P) and brought some nice heel personality. She could be one to watch out for. The other two PWU guys looked a lot more
    polished and worked over their opponents. Katey Harvey of course was the obvious star. She plays a perky fiery babyface so well. She's almost like a female Daniel Bryan
    where it's impossible to dislike her at all. Faces win when Katey pins the girl with a gory special.

3) Phil Boyd vs LJ Cleary
    I remember Phil's opponent as the afro guy wrestling Tron on the last show. he clearly had a lot of friends and family in the crowd as he was very over. It was well
    deserved because this was one of the better matches of the evening. You can tell LJ is new to wrestling but he looked like one to watch for sure. Working with a top
    talent like Phil Boyd is bound to help as well. What followed was a great david/goliath type fight where LJ did his best to wipe the smirk off his opponent's face.
    He also got the win, which I wasn't expecting but it just made the story even better

4) Wood Brothers vs Soldiers of Fortune (tables match)
    Soldiers of Fortune don't have their titles any more so they're looking for another set. Both teams have a valet with them, Wood Brothers bringing Siren. In a little
    reference to what's going on with Rusev, the heels have the Dutch national anthem played before the match. This one was a lot more spotfesty than their previous one,
    the Woods using a lot of flashy double teams. The brunette brother spent a lot of time lying on the floor, while the blonde was beaten up. You'd expect that with two
    women at ringside, there would be a catfight but there isn't. That's actually important as Siren climbs up on the apron to help the Woods...and low blows one of the
    brothers. She absolutely turns heel and shares a passionate kiss (seriously guys, there are children in the audience ;) with one of SOF. The brother goes through a
    table and we have new champions. as cliched as it sounds to say this, it was a shocking swerve but it made for a nice little moment. Siren got great amounts of heat.
    I could see her doing well as a bitchy Maryse like heel

5) Lee Flynn vs JDP (#1 contenders match)
    FFPW veteran Lee Flynn makes his return, taking on PWU's JDP. This was Match of the Night easily. Lee Flynn played face to perfection, getting plenty fiery and aggressive.
    The match was actually main event worthy. Lee even went for a nice little routine as he came out to We Will Rock You and got the crowd to chant "Lee will rock you".
    The only problem is that the match went to a no contest when JDP's manager interfered. This for some reason brought out the entire roster and turned the match into a
    battle royal. I didn't think that was needed and the battle royal itself was just a cluster****. Lee Flynn won anyway so I didn't really see what the point was

6) Tucker vs B Cool vs Sammy D vs Luther Valentine (Irish Junior Heavyweight Championship)
    It was also an extreme rules match, which added for plenty of ringside brawling and use of weapons. B Cool was absolutely hilarious and donned a bubblewrap suit to
    protect himself from the weapons (spoiler: it didn't work). They thankfully kept this one from being too similar to the F4W from the last show (with Valentine in
    Sean Maxer's place) and it was exactly what a main event match should be. It's great that FFPW took notice of Valentine's good work at the last show as he is definitely
    a future champion. Tucker retained but #1 contender Lee Flynn came out to the ring. He hit Tucker with an RKO - FFPW should release an official vine of it ;)

Overall a good show and well MC'd by the boyant, bubbly and efervescent Kev Roxx. Hopefully there's a third show as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭CCWrestling

2 huge CCW events this November. Tickets available NOW at entertainment.ie

image.jpgimage.jpg

Facebook Event Pages:

CCW Clash 4 Gold: https://www.facebook.com/events/291962684338377/?fref=ts
    Tickets: https://entertainment.ticketsolve.com/shows/873523007/events

CCW Riot 2014 in Waterford City: https://www.facebook.com/events/493318977477848
    Tickets: https://entertainment.ticketsolve.com/shows/873523647/events

Also check out CCW Riot 2013 now available on Youtube.

Young Dave Finlay makes his Belfast, Northern Ireland debut tomorrow. Pretty cool news story about it. Proud moment for his Grandfather:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/meet-the-next-generation-of-fighting-fit-finlays-name-synonymous-with-the-golden-age-of-wrestling-30724872.html

Dave has such a weird American-German-Ulster accent.

Saw his initial matches. Haven't seen anything before the Summer. He was very green then but he carries himself a lot like his Dad in the ring.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭CCWrestling

CCW's annual over 18's event Riot 2014 will be held at Crystal Club & Venue, Waterford City on Friday the 28th of November
    Doors Open 7:30 Show Starts at 8pm (strictly over 18's)

Tickets are on sale NOW at entertainment.ie
    Ticket Link: http://entertainment.ticketsolve.com/shows/873523647/events

This event will feature the 1st Ever Deise Deathmatch, a match that will bring new meaning to the word hardcore!!!

For more info LIKE Celtic Championship Wrestling on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/celticchampwrestling

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Over The Top Wrestling

Over The Top Wrestling returns on Saturday November 15th with ''OUTER SPACE ODYSSEY'' The follow up to their massive debut event ''F*CK PG!"

Ireland's only dedictated over 18's wrestling promotion features over the top characters and the very best performers wrestling has to offer! There will also be two fully stocked bars with special drinks promotions at the event, and we can guarantee you a heart stopping, action packed night of entertainment!

The event will take place live at the Tivoli Theatre, 135-138 Francis Street, Dublin.
    Doors Open 7 pm / Show Starts 8:oo pm
    Tickets are €10

Some Matches confirmed for the night are:

''The Lord of the manor" Paul Tracey vs The Ballymun Bruiser

Shawn Maxer vs Tucker

Triple Threat cruiserweight match
    Pete Dunne vs Jordan Devlin vs fabulous Nicky

Bonesaw vs Paddy ward

Extreme street Fight main event
    Damien Corvin vs Luther ward

Strictly over 18s
    Come get drunk with us! Drink promotions include:
    3 cans of beer/ cider for €10
    Pint of Heineken €4
    Double JD & Coke €8
    Double vodka & mixer €8
    2 Jäger Bombs €10

Tickets are available from WRESTLING MANIA, Top floor of St Stephen's green shopping centre, Dublin open Monday - Sunday 10:30 - 17:30 Telephone: (01) 405 3525

Tickets are also on sale from The Tivoli box office Tivoli Theatre, 135-138 Francis Street, Dublin 8, Ireland. Box Office Opening Hours: 10 am – 6 pm, Monday – Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Anyone going tonight to OTT and you see a man wearing a green cardigan and CM Punk t shirt don't be afraid to come over and say hello!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Will give a full review tomorrow, but that was an absolute cracker of a show! Well done to everyone involved and roll on January!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I'm interested in going to the CCW show in Waterford but am unsure how to get tickets. I know that they are on sale on Entertainment.ie but I haven't purchased tickets on that site before and my fear is that they will need to be printed out and my lack of home printer makes that a challenge. Has anyone gotten tickets on the site before that can shed a bit of light on how it works? Or if anybody knows if it is possible to purchase tickets elsewhere that'd be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Entertainment.ie will post them.

Entertainment.ie will post them.

Do you know how long they generally take to arrive?

Will give a full review tomorrow, but that was an absolute cracker of a show! Well done to everyone involved and roll on January!

They've struck gold at OTT. Another great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Do you know how long they generally take to arrive?
    It can vary. But you'd have them before the next fortnight. If they don't turn up anyway, they will arrange for you to get in on the door.

• Advertisement

It can vary. But you'd have them before the next fortnight. If they don't turn up anyway, they will arrange for you to get in on the door.

Very good, thanks for the information.

Advertisement