Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Athletics on TV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Donelson wrote: »
    London grand prix on bbc 2 now. Mo running in the 5000m

Just seen the last lap. Farah clocked 13:06

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Faster, Higher, Stronger - RTE One Tuesday 9.35pm
    Sports journalist Ian O'Riordan examines the science and technology behind a range of performance-enhancement techniques, both legal and illegal, used by athletes. He learns about race walker Colin Griffin's house in Limerick that is fitted out to mimic the high altitude of Kilimanjaro, and meets Martin Fagan and Geraldine Hendricken, who both received bans for failed drug tests. He also explores the worlds of sports supplements and genetic doping

Can Anyone Beat Bolt - BBC Three, Tuesday 9pm.
    A profile of Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt, the 100m runner fast becoming a legend of the sport, and five of his closest competitors who are aiming to beat him at London 2012. While the 2008 Olympic gold medalist will go into the Games as favourite to triumph, he is expected to face a stern challenge from Asafa Powell, Christophe Lemaitre, Tyson Gay, Justin Gatlin and most notably Yohan Blake, who recently finished ahead of Bolt in the Jamaican Olympic trials while also recording the fastest time this year. Narrated by Reggie Yates, with analysis from Michael Johnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,579 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This day next week, July 20th is the Diamond League from Monaco. 1900-2100 live on BBC3.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

G-Money wrote: »
    Can Anyone Beat Bolt - BBC Three, Tuesday 9pm.

Also repeated later that night.

James is getting back to form 44:85

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Lemaitre ran 19.91 to win the 200m.

And hasn't Jeremy Wariner just become an also-ran.

Rabbit took them through halfways in 1:52 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Usain Bolt - The Fastest Man Alive - Tonight, BBC One 10.35pm.
    Profile of the Jamaican athlete, who will be hoping his performance at London 2012 will see him become the first man ever to retain the 100m, 200m and 4x100m relay Olympic titles. The documentary follows Bolt over the past 12 months as he prepares for the most important races of his life, and features some of the people who have helped him sprint to the top of his profession, including friends, relatives and Jamaican national coach Maurice Wilson.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Less athletics and more 'sport-related', but Panorama (BBC1 Thursday 8pm) is investigating sports products that promise to boost your performance.
    As many of us try to get fitter in this Olympic summer, Panorama investigates the sports products that promise to boost your performance. Are those pricey trainers worth the money? Can sports drinks really help you work out for longer? Are protein shakes any more effective at honing the physique than ordinary food?

With exclusive access to the findings from a unique study by the British Medical Journal and Oxford University, reporter Shelley Jofre tests the science behind the bold advertising claims made by some of sport's biggest brands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Spoiled for choice tonight:

6.30pm Live action from Lucerne, Switzerland on Eurosport

9.35 pm Faster Higher Stronger on RTE ONE (Completely different to BBC one last week)
    In a brand new sports science documentary, journalist Ian O'Riordan examines how athletes are using science and technology to enhance their performance, asking whether or not we can ever again truly believe in the purity of sport.

The Olympic Games are meant to represent all that's good and pure about sport- heroic acts of courage, fair play, being all that you can be. But ever since Ben Johnson failed a drug test in 1988, the biggest sporting show on earth has been dogged by scandal and suspicion. And now, with the curtain about to rise on London 2012, Ian O'Riordan of The Irish Times looks at the growing impact science and technology has on sport - legal and illegal - and wonders if sport can ever regain our trust.

A lifelong sports fanatic, Ian O'Riordan's world changed when Ben Johnson was caught. Ever since, as a competitive distance runner, through his career as a sports journalist, he's been trying to answer the question that was raised that September morning in 1988 - is any of this real?

In Faster, Higher, Stronger, Ian looks at a range of performance enhancement techniques, both legal and illegal, to discover if science has become more important than good old-fashioned hard graft and talent. He spends time with members of the Irish Olympic Team for 2012, to get inside the mind of the people that go to extraordinary lengths to gain a competitive edge.

Ian meets race-walker Colin Griffin, who's living in a bespoke altitude house in Limerick, fitted out to mimic the air density of Kilimanjaro. While Rob Heffernan, another walker, has to make do with a tent over his bed to get the same effect. Ian asks if this method of manipulating the body's make-up is really fair, using the example of a banned swimsuit as an instance technology was outlawed.

He reconnects with Martin Fagan and Geraldine Hendricken, two Irish athletes who received bans for failed drugs tests. He looks at the world of sports supplements, asking if these are really just legal performance enhancers.

The next big threat to fair play in sport is genetic doping. Travelling to the world centre for genetic doping, via a herd of Supercows in Laois, Ian explores whether messing with the DNA is a real problem or just science fiction. He meets the main players in the war on doping for London 2012 to discover how sport is putting up a fight against the cheats.

And in attempt to get inside the mind of a cheat, Ian undertakes to go on a course of performance enhancing drugs. In doing so, he discovers that the results might be more dramatic than he could ever have imagined.

Faster, Higher, Stronger is a comprehensive exploration of performance enhancement that combines an in-depth look at the science of sport with a personal search for the truth about fair play.

And last but not least

10.35pm RTE One London Calling
    This week London Calling follows Brian Gregan the 21-year-old 400m sprinter from Tallaght trying to make the breakthrough, we meet Camilla Speirs the bright young star of Irish Three Day Eventing who trains her own horses as well as Michael McKillop a middle distance runner with Cerebral Palsy who is not only Paralympic 800m Champion but also regularly competes with able bodied athletes.

Brian Gregan is a full time athlete and student. Balancing studies and training, Brian must forgo many of the 'perks' of being a student. Drinking and frozen pizzas are definitely not on the menu, as he sticks to a meticulously planned diet. Having been crowned National Champion at the 2011 National Indoor Championships, Brian heads to Paris for the European Indoors to make his mark on the international stage. But nothing goes to plan, and after finishing his only race a medical drama ensues. Will he be able to race again?

Camilla Speirs is one half of a mother and daughter team that are competing with the very best in the equestrian world of Three Day Eventing. While other riders have the support of big teams and money, this duo from Co Kildare have risen to the top with cheaply bought horses that they break in themselves. Camilla's current steed, Portersize Just A Jiff, is known around the circuit for being the smallest horse to compete at the top level of the sport.
    The episode gives an insight into the many long and hard hours the Speirs' put into their training, whatever the weather.
    In April 2011 Camilla returns to Badminton, the world's most prestigious event, where she had first announced herself on the global stage in 2010. But Badminton 2011 was to be memorable for all the wrong reasons. This rider and 'little horse that could', come a cropper over the feared cross country course and Camilla finds herself being airlifted to hospital.

Michael McKillop has cerebral palsy. Because of this condition he has greatly reduced strength and coordination down his entire right side, and as he says himself he can't run in a straight line. But despite this he has become a World Record Holder, World Champion and won gold in T37 800m at the Paralympic Games in Beijing. Trained by his father Michael, they both work hard to overcome his disability, and he regularly competes at the highest level of able bodied athletics. Like any other 22 year old Michael likes to spend time with his friends and going out, but he has to be careful not to burn the candles at both ends, not just because of his training but also because of his epilepsy. Michael has blossomed into an accomplished athlete and he underlined by this fact by becoming the first man to set a world record in the London 2012 Olympic stadium. Preparations on course he seems set to win double gold at the Paralympics in September.

Rob and Marian Heffernan from Douglas, Co Cork, are the full time parents, husband and wife team looking to qualify for the London Games. Rob qualified for London in Episode 1, but now Marian's campaign to join him starts in earnest. However tragedy strikes as the death of Rob's mother just before the 2011 World Championships means that they both have to return from Daegu, South Korea. However Rob convinces Marian to return and she lines up with the Irish Women's 4 X 400m as they break the national record. But the drama does not end there. As Marian continues her preparations she is injured in the National Indoors in Belfast- will all these setbacks derail her Olympic dream?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Ian o riordan took drugs for that show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Ian o riordan took drugs for that show?

Think it says he looks ;) not took. But do remember some US guy taking PED's before making a program must try to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Ian undertakes to go on a course of performance enhancing drugs. In doing so, he discovers that the results might be more dramatic than he could ever have imagined

I am i reading this wrong?

I really enjoyed the Bolt story from last night. Great insight into just how much work he has to put in to be the best. I think most people may think that he is just naturally so much better and that maybe he doesn't need to work all that hard. This programme shows how hard he works to get to the level he is at. And, now, we have a couple of men who really can beat him.

It was interesting to see an Irishman, Ricky Simms, on the programme; Bolt's agent. Good friend's too.

BBC3 at 2100 hrs tonight: Can anyone beat Usain Bolt?

I would have thought the answer to this is fairly obvious:).

walshb wrote: »

Yeah, if he gets a bad start, Gay, Blake, Powell and Gatlin. If he jumps the gun, everyone.

I really enjoyed the Bolt story from last night.

Agree. Watched it last night with the whole family: 2 teenage girls who can't be dragged away from Friends, and 2 teenage boys who can't be dragged away from Call of Duty. :) Afterwards, one daughter said she wished she were male, because men get all the sporting attention. I told her if she beat Flo-Jo's world record she would be the most famous woman on the planet (for more than one reason ;)).

Blake wins in 9.85 seconds in Lucerne!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭the_real_lamp

On BBC 4 at 2200 hrs, The Race That Shocked the World. Doc about Ben Johnson in Seoul '88.

On BBC 4 at 2200 hrs, The Race That Shocked the World. Doc about Ben Johnson in Seoul '88.

Ah here! Like I have said many times we are spoilt for choice with tv. There is just too much on. Glad I have sky record.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

jamaica has a population of less than 3million-didnt know that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

Did I see carl lewis wearing braces?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Donelson wrote: »
    Did I see carl lewis wearing braces?

A few theories flying around on letsrun about sprinters in their late 20s wearing braces. I'll say no more on that though.

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    A few theories flying around on letsrun about sprinters in their late 20s wearing braces. I'll say no more on that though.

It was mentioned on the program.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,123 ✭✭✭plodder

It's sad when the speculation gets to that level. Another explanation could be people who maybe couldn't afford braces when they were teenagers, it wouldn't be unusual at all to get them in their twenties, when they can afford the work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

plodder wrote: »
    It's sad when the speculation gets to that level. Another explanation could be people who maybe couldn't afford braces when they were teenagers, it wouldn't be unusual at all to get them in their twenties, when they can afford the work.

I agree. I'm not saying I entirely agree with the theories (though they do have some basis). I'm sure there's plenty of genuine athletes who got braces for legitimate reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I agree. I'm not saying I entirely agree with the theories (though they do have some basis). I'm sure there's plenty of genuine athletes who got braces for legitimate reasons.
    So, what are the theories about braces?

Great documentary that was. I truly believe that Carl Lewis was a clean athlete. I do not believe that he intentionally ever tried to cheat. He was a naturally brilliant sprinter.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭the_real_lamp

Olympic's Most Amazing Moments on BBC3 at 10pm tonight. Countdown from 25 to 1.

• Advertisement

Olympic's Most Amazing Moments on BBC3 at 10pm tonight. Countdown from 25 to 1.

Another classic. Time to set the record!

Bets on number 1?

If it includes all moments and not just sport moments then Ali lighting the flame in 1996 could grab number 1.

If it's a sports list, and the beeb, then expect Redgrave's 5 medal haul to be right up there.

Advertisement