Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD - redundant?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭IRWolfie-

maupat wrote: »
    Just wondering why you think a PhD in humanities would be an economic waste of time? There are PhDs which, while humanities-based, have a digital or technical element too - would such programmes be a waste of time also?

Interested to hear your reasons on both ;)

I know I'm probably performing necromancy by resurrecting this thread but: The question for me would be whether the technical elements of a humanities PhD actually make you any more desirable to an employeer above everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I must be the exception then ... I started my PhD in cancer studies at the Uni of Leicester in January 2010 and I will possibly be submitting my thesis in 1 week. I have three publications from my work (highest journal impact factor of just under 14) and I have already started as a Research Associate in my group.

I thrive on the research and - yes - I do the 10 hour days, every day, and don't moan. Having so much success is not solely due to 'luck'. I work very hard at what I do and love it.

While saying this, I am a bit upset at how many PhDs are given out and how apparently 'easy' it is to get one. Universities here in the UK receive a lot of money from non-EU students coming to do their doctorates (upward of 20,000GBP per year). Supervisors then feel pressured, I believe, to award the doctorate even if the work isn't that great.

For me, getting a PhD is the end of the line as a student... it's like completing the race that began when I first went to school when I was 4.

Take care
    Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Kevster wrote: »
    While saying this, I am a bit upset at how many PhDs are given out and how apparently 'easy' it is to get one.
    In terms of employment prospects for PhD graduates, it doesn't really matter, because prospective employers are not really going to be all that interested in the "Dr." before your name - they'll want to know what you've actually done. Not all PhDs are equal.
    Kevster wrote: »
    For me, getting a PhD is the end of the line as a student...
    Oh, I really don't know about that. If you're going to continue in research, then the learning never stops!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Woodward

I'm due to start a PhD soon and I would advise anyone thinking about doing one to get some industrial experience first. I was lucky to have a placement during my degree and the 6 months in industry cemented my opinion that research is the only thing that suits me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Montrealer

Depends on what field it is, I guess. I'm doing mine in Political Science, and I've discovered that it's about the most useless thing I've done in my life. It's also been a very traumatizing and discouraging experience...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Woodward wrote: »
    I'm due to start a PhD soon and I would advise anyone thinking about doing one to get some industrial experience first. I was lucky to have a placement during my degree and the 6 months in industry cemented my opinion that research is the only thing that suits me.

I'm still looking for one myself. I have a small amount of industry experience but I'm finding a lot of funding bodies are insisting that one be resident in the UK for 3 years to qualify for funding.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement