Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

just got the hero phone and theres 2 apps i want (iEverton and mlb at bat) that both arent on the android market , anyone know how i get them please?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

They are paid apps, the best way to get them is to root the phone and get Market Enabler or put a UK sim into your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

thats great thanks , going to attempt to root the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Just downloaded the official Photobucket app. Excellent app,instant access to your photobucket albums and an instant upload feature that allows a pic taken on the phone to be automatically uploaded to your photobucket album.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭opus

After a bit of searching I found an Internet Radio app that looks to work ok - DroidLive Lite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Toonwarz Lite (You can't get the full version as the market still doesn't allow paid apps) is a great FPS. Multiplayer is fairly good aswell. The only issue is that the controls can go haywire on the HTC Desire/Legend/Hero and Nexus one among other phones because of their touchscreen hardware.

You can however just use the trackpad/trackball instead of the touchscreen for aiming, it works a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Can someone reccomend an app that I can use to listen to todayfm or BBC radio1? or can i stream them directly without using an app

(using a Hero stock fw 1.5)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,442 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

neacy69 wrote: »
    Can someone reccomend an app that I can use to listen to todayfm or BBC radio1?

Try tunewiki - free from android market place. Allows streaming over shoutcast (on which you can find Newstalk and TodayFM). Check out the shoutcast website and see if your favourite stations are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Hurrah for the new android forum!! Does anyone know of an 'point and click' type game for android?? I've not rooted (can't) my Desire, but would like a decent game on it anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Can this thread be moved to the Android sub-forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭opus

For anyone who's moved from a Nokia phone & is used to having profiles, Quick Profiles looks to work very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

My top apps so far are;

Astro.
    File manager.

Barcode Scanner.
    What it says. Find products on Ebay etc. by scanning the barcode.

Cabbage.
    Operator web texts on your phone (best used with Google contacts).

Calltrack.
    Logs all calls to your Google calendar.

Data counter widget.
    Logs all of your data traffic, can be set to clear on your billing date.

Google sky map.
    Great fun picking out star constellations.

Memory task cleaner.
    Clear any running apps and free up memory.

No signal alert.
    Logs any signal drop-outs.

Photobucket.
    Haven't really used it yet, but I will.

Robo Defense.
    Great, addictive, free game.

Rotary Dialer.
    Not sure why, just like it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mopedeyes

The humour may not be to everyone's taste but I've always loved the Cyanide & Happiness web comic at Explosm.net.
    The android app is called "Simply Cyanide"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Does anyone know if there is an app similar to the 'Pocket Universe' iphone pay-app that is available for android?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

Rasmus wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is an app similar to the 'Pocket Universe' iphone pay-app that is available for android?

Never heard of that before but Google Sky Map, which is free, is excellent. You just point your phone and it tells you what stars/constellations/planets you are looking for, or you can search for a planet or a star and it will direct you to where it is located in the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for. Downloaded and running!

Just found this -

http://android.nextapp.com/
    WebSharing enables you to wirelessly transfer files to and from your phone/device using only a web browser. You can play and manage music, view your photographs, and manage files on your device using your WI-FI network.

Excellent app, very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

I have the Lite version installed as you have th buy the full version and I dont have access to the paid market yet.

Anyhow, installed it and trying to access the URL it gives from the browser but it won't come up? Anyone any ideas?

Cheers,
    M

madmoe wrote: »
    I have the Lite version installed as you have th buy the full version and I dont have access to the paid market yet.

Anyhow, installed it and trying to access the URL it gives from the browser but it won't come up? Anyone any ideas?

Cheers,
    M

Have to ask - did you press start in the app?

I sure did and got an IP address like this http://192.168.15.52:2112/

I'm in work on WiFi here and my the IP address of my machine is 10.47.2.xxx so I am thinking this may be the issue. The WiFi is for public access in the office and looks to be on a different subnet\completely different network...It think??

Cheers,
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Thanks to everyone for the apps, some great suggestions there.

I didn't see Yelp mentioned. It's pretty good. It's location based search. just click on restaurants for example and all the ones near you come up, can search for pretty much anything and I was surprised at the number and accuracy of the results (for Ireland!)

SwipeIT is fricken great, soooo much faster for typing ;o)

3G Watchdog for monitoring 3G/data useage (hope it's accurate!).

Daft Machine is completely pointless but strangely good fun, you can play the daft punk song (Better/Faster/Stronger) by pushing buttons!

Tub Thumber for a drum machine app isn't bad either

I find the HTC browser better and more intuitive than Opera Mini.

I can't install Flixter or Babbler, they dont show up in market searches and any links I find don't work either? Do I need a UK sim for these???

Goggle Earth does't seem to work on the Desire yet ;o( (works on the Nexus1)

Numbuzz seems good, i've installed it but not used it much. A single app for Skype/Facebook chat/Gmail chat + others.

Keep the app recommendations coming!!!

Go team!

Ps: If anyone is reading this and thinking of getting the phone, GET IT!! I've had it 24 hours and it's already worth the money I payed for it!!

Can Nimbuzz be used for Facebook chat??

Also, how does one install the HTC browser on a Nexus One?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I have found eBuddy good for chat. Has msn, yahoo, aim, google talk, myspace, icq, facebook, hyves.

No Skype though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

madmoe wrote: »
    Can Nimbuzz be used for Facebook chat??

Also, how does one install the HTC browser on a Nexus One?

Hey, Nimbuzz can be used for Facebook chat (+gMail chat + Skype chat + others). It shows one list of all contacts joined together with an icon next to each contact to show if they're logged into Facebook/gMail etc.

The HTC browser comes on the phone out of the box, it's on the home screen under the clock on my Desire. Find it much more intuitive to use.

Go Team!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,347 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'm using Fring at the moment but I imagine there's better out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

Gizmodo has just published a new section to their site on Essential Android Apps (some for the US market only)
    http://gizmodo.com/tag/androidappsdirectory

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

http://sites.google.com/site/droidlife10/home/google_earth.apk

http://voicesearch.googlecode.com/files/VoiceSearch_2.1.apk

You can download and install from the links, google earth works great, not tried the other yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Keith186

I can't find SwipeIT anywhere on market place, is it available?
    I came accross slide it but not supposed to be as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Keith186 wrote: »
    I can't find SwipeIT anywhere on market place, is it available?
    I came accross slide it but not supposed to be as good.

I am using Shapewriter, give that a whirl, same idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭New.White.Socks

Google Goggles can be brilliant. Haven't tried it with landmarks etc but product searchers work incredibly well!
    MyTasks is a good free organiser/planner app.
    PaperToss is a decent game for passing some time.
    Flashlight comes in handy surprisingly often

Also, Google's Gesture search is good. I would imagine it's similar to SwipeIT or some other ones you've mentioned though (just guessing).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement