Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big versus Small

• 19-08-2003 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

Heres a question for you. What do you perfer

Big 12 screen cinema complexes with branded drinks and popcorn and lots of choice.

Or Small 1-4 screen cinemas which are better cared for in the way of muppets during the film and tend to be more comfortable.

I use to perfer my towns small cinema but their lack of improvement on their sound has turned me away. Still mighty comfortable...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I don't really care seen as they all show the same cr@p. I'd prefer any cinema that showed films based on merit as appose to whatever Hollywood is spewing out this week.

That said, the best cinema I was ever in was the Pathe cinema in Amsterdam - and that's about three stories high. Great seats, good atmosphere (went there a few times, don't ever remember being annoyed by kids / phones etc.) and HUGE buckets of popcorn (its Amsterdam, so this is definitely a good thing :) ).

The cinema in the town here has one screen and hissing stereo sound... wouldn't be terrible, but they insist on showing only the big blockbusters... not the best for the setup they've got.

So in my experience, the bigger ones better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I prefer small cinemas with better choice of films and fewer muppets! Like the Kino in Cork, where you can even buy a nice cup of tea to drink whilst watching a film. But, the odd time, I like to go to a big cinema to see better-quality blockbusters just for the atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Depends on the type of movie tbh. If it's a new blockbuster type with mad special effects etc, then I'll go to a big cinema (usually UCG on parnell st, I like the setup there) for the huge screen, surround sound and that.

If it's a movie I want to concentrate on rather than leave my brain at the door, I'll go somewhere smaller (IFC for preference) to avoid the muppetry of the general public and children.

I can't stand the little sh1t-hole type though (e.g. Stella in Rathmines, Forum in Glasthule if that's still around) - sticky floors, horrible threadbare chairs, crappy speakers up at the front of the cinema kind of thing. I went to see LOTR:TTT in the Stella recently (I hadn't gotten round to seeing it in a decent cinema and it was the only place still showing it at the time, wanted to catch it on a big screen before it stopped showing altogether) and it pretty much ruined the movie for me. On top of that, the only showing was at 3pm, which meant I had to put up with a pair of idiots who had brought their kid (looked about 6 years old) with them who kept asking questions, wanting to go to the toilet, wanting sweets etc and eventually kept complaining of being bored. I don't understand people who would bring a child as young as that to a movie as hard to follow (for a six-year-old) and as long as LOTR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

Its the UGC on Parnell St.

I agree about the IFC (kicks ass). The forum has not only shut down but been completely obliterated. it no longer resides anywhere.

the Savoy screen one on a tuesday afternoon. no knackers, no kids, no problems. (also less of a sticky-floor-deal than the muppet-plexes, eh, multiplexes)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭BKtje

I prefer the big cinema's for everything, but only the last showing of the night as it cuts down on the muppetry. IMC in Dun laoghaire :)
    Forum in Glasthule if that's still around
    That closed when the IMC in Dun Laoghaire openend. Was a family run business, friendly but a crap cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The best cinemas I was in where all the cinemas I visited in NY. The only problem is that Americans tend to 'whoop' at anything even remotely exciting.

Advertisement