Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Movie Release Dates - Europe V America

• 17-08-2003 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

It does not seem so long ago that people waited on this side of the Atlantic ocean for 6-8 months for movies to be released. It now seems as a consequence of piracy that movie release date lags have fallen quite dramatically.

T3, Xmen2 and many others had worldwide releases that seemed never to happen before.

Isn’t it great that piracy is stopping the silly wait for movies to be released in Europe? :)

Anyone any stats on how this lag is now seems to be disappearing? Do you think we will we soon be kissing goodbye to the US V European lag?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think the lag only exists between non-blockbusters now. Movies like Matrix, T3, Charlies Angels 2, Pirates, Hulk etc. are usually only a week or two later in Europe (they're safe bets to make alot of money).

Other movies (less well known and more of a risk to studios) will be released first in the States to see how they do. They may appear a few weeks or even a few months later here.

- Dave.

This is not always the case. finding Nemo has been on release in America for the past three or four weeks, yet we will not see it over here until October or November. I shall have it on R1 DVD before it is released in cinemas over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

the lag between europe and america is getting smaller..well mainland europe anyway. .they get some films over there a few weeks before us..its always been pretty small for big blockbusters. .its frequently only crap films that the studios have lost confidence in that dont get such a big release here. ..

also with so many crap films the studios are probably afraid of europeans hearing how crap films are and then not going..
    it makes sense not to wait such a long time..

but it goes both ways.. we get loads of films from europe and elsewhere that they dont see for ages.. such as battle royale(i dont think this has been released in america yet), i saw momento at least a month before there was a big fuss over it and nearly ..two months before it was released in america..

i dont think the lag is going to change much ..because they need to have the big premiers everywhere and teh stars cant be everywhere at once..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

It works both ways,

28 Days later, was released here in Feb (i think)

While the US is only getting it now.

Veronica Geurin has been here for over a month, while the US is only getting it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by bloggs
    It works both ways,

28 Days later, was released here in Feb (i think)

While the US is only getting it now.

Veronica Geurin has been here for over a month, while the US is only getting it now

28 days was released on DVD here in Feb and only recently in cinemas over there ,i thought that was weird.

There are other reasons why we wait ,marketing ,getting the actors over here for PR and one of the old biggies was they sent the films over from american cinemas so they didnt have to make anymore reels seemingly its expensive for those reels.

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement