Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insurance for hearing aids

Options
  • 10-12-2010 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I've just bought my first pair of hearing aids. I rang Quinn Direct to ask if I could include them in my household insurance and was told "no". I then rang Aviva and asked if they insure hearing aids on household policies and was told "no".

So, can anyone advise me if it's possible to insure hearing aids in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

I've just bought my first pair of hearing aids. I rang Quinn Direct to ask if I could include them in my household insurance and was told "no". I then rang Aviva and asked if they insure hearing aids on household policies and was told "no".

So, can anyone advise me if it's possible to insure hearing aids in Ireland?

I am profoundly deaf and wear a Phonak Nada Super hearing aid, I did try get insurance on it at the time when I was renting out, and could not get insurance *anywhere* so ... I have not bothered to insure it.... the only peace of mind I have is a 5 year warranty on it regardless... to me that is insurance....

To be quite honest obtaining insurance seems a minefield and AFAIK no one would insure it... depends on your personal situation - if you own a house then maybe you could get that on to the house insurance policy.... not 100% sure there... :confused: :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Seems strange that they wouldn't sure a hearing aid, but they would insure a phone or jewellery or a camera. Might be worth having a chat with the Equality Authority to see if this constitutes discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

t0mm13b wrote: »
    the only peace of mind I have is a 5 year warranty on it regardless... to me that is insurance....

Does "regardless" include losing your hearing aid?

I looked at my warranty from Specsavers and it specifically excludes losing them.

Does "regardless" include losing your hearing aid?

I looked at my warranty from Specsavers and it specifically excludes losing them.

Uhhhh, I would be extremely cautious in buying one from a such a franchise shop such as Specsavers...and IMHO, their service is absolutely sh!t... I got mine from Peter Ferguson, he's been around for donkeys years and is extremely solid and reputable.

TBH, losing the hearing aid is not going to happen - I wear it 24x7 ALL the time so how can you lose it.... ????

mind me asking... whereabouts are you based in?

TBH, losing the hearing aid is not going to happen - I wear it 24x7 ALL the time so how can you lose it.... ????

mind me asking... whereabouts are you based in?

I don't wear them 24/7. I take them off before getting in to bed. I take them off when I wear an helmet. I take them off when having a shower. I take them off when swimming. I take them off...........

There's lots of opportunity to lose them.

I'm in West Wicklow.

Does your warranty cover losing them?

• Advertisement

I don't wear them 24/7. I take them off before getting in to bed. I take them off when I wear an helmet. I take them off when having a shower. I take them off when swimming. I take them off...........

There's lots of opportunity to lose them.

I'm in West Wicklow.

Does your warranty cover losing them?

Warranty does not cover losing them period - warranty is there if it breaks down or requires servicing every 6 months...well... tbqh, I'd keep an eye on it if you take them off, where-ever you place the hearing aid - for goodness sake, do not lose sight of it and forget it.... its ok to take them off if having a shower but how can you forget it or lose them...? :confused:

It's madness that there is no insurance cover for them!!!! Take the other dude's point and check if that's discrimination on the grounds for liability with insurance companies - have no need to nor do I want to...if I take it off, it goes firmly in my pocket in its casing - cannot miss it :) Hope it works out for you dude :) Take care :)

Warranty does not cover losing them period - warranty is there if it breaks down or requires servicing every 6 months

Thats exactly what I thought but when you said.....
    I have not bothered to insure it.... the only peace of mind I have is a 5 year warranty on it regardless... to me that is insurance....

I thought you might have got some kind of super super warranty.

Thanks for your advice.

Thats exactly what I thought but when you said.....

I thought you might have got some kind of super super warranty.

Thanks for your advice.

Yeah it is a kind of "super super warranty" tis true - I got Peter Ferguson to put that additional warranty cover for 5 years and can renew again for a small fee after the 5 years is up :) w00t!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jcbrowne1

Hi All,

I work as an independent hearing aid audiologist in Galway and I haven't heard from any of my clients that they have had difficulty insuring their Hearing Aids on their house insurance. I just need to have them named and really that's it. I think it should cost an extra €30 or so to have them named.

Someone posted about the 5 year warranty, the warranty will only cover against mechanical failure i.e anything inside the hearing aid. EVERY year I have on average 10 - 12 clients come back to me for new hearing aids as they have either lost, stood on or wore their hearing aids in the shower, pets (esp dogs) have got at them and a warranty certainly wont cover them under those circumtances..... I would HIGHLY recommend having them insured.
    Joseph
    www.galwayhearingcare.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Katzi

I would really like to know of ANY insurance company that will insure hearing aids. I am a home owner and have been told by any insurance company I have approached that insuring hearing aids is not possible. If previous poster could supply the names of insurance companies who offer insurance it would be much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭susiewoosie

I know Bank of Ireland home insurance do it....

• Registered Users Posts: 4 oskar1

AA INSURANCE will cover them under your home insurance for e120.00 per annum,I did mine that way at a replacement value of e3000.00.hope this is of some help to you.
    Regards,
    Oskar1

• Registered Users Posts: 4 oskar1

I purchased mine from specsavers 2 years ago at half the price and a third of the price for the same pair i was quoted from 2 other independent dispensers and have had no problems with them other than the normal fine tuning issues,its really down to the competence of your audiologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Nikam

Axa are quite happy to insure hearing aid's on you existing house policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 schoolmouse

FBD are happy to cover hearing aids on their house policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 keem21

F B D cover them on house policy for about 14 euro extra

Advertisement