Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ECDL or MOS Certification?

Options
  • 12-06-2015 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Just looking for recommendations for a transition year student. Which would be better/ more recognised, the ECDL or MOS in PowerPoint, Word,Excel and Databases. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ECDL is worthless except for secretarial work. There is a major scam built up around the whole thing, convincing people its a worthwhile qualification when its not.

MOS is better - not hugely, but its better. MOS in Access for instance shows an ability to learn and understand more serious concepts; although even in Word & Excel it has some value.

Just take in to account that both qualifications expire or get replaced so if you're entering TY in September, they'll be damn near expired / outdated by the time you're finished the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 NicoleDel

Thanks for the reply. yeah that's what I was thinking. maybe just better to say on CV, competent in excel, word etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

NicoleDel wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. yeah that's what I was thinking. maybe just better to say on CV, competent in excel, word etc.

Better than the ECDL yes - as you'll still have your few hundred.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I like the MOS exams. Don't know if they really carry much relevance with employers or HR staff for most roles. The ECDL as stated is really just saying, " I'm 50 and comfortable moving a mouse and opening basic programs"

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

Start with the ECDL.

I'd disagree with the previous contributors, as given your age and previous comments, it seems this is to be put on your CV for getting a job in the next while as part of your work experience in TY (as opposed to getting into the IT world).

People working in offices never seem to use what they learned in the ECDL to improve their work practices, especially re. spreadsheets and databases. Sure that's their problem, not yours.

A lot of schools have the ECDL course available (often as part of TY year) - I wouldn't be paying to learn it and get the qualification that is for sure.
    maybe just better to say on CV, competent in excel, word etc
    Be ready to back that up.

Good on you for even bothering, that's what I say.

• Advertisement

You don't learn enough in the ECDL to "improve [your] work practices", though. Are you aware how empty and pointless it is?

There isn't a HR department (or person) in the world that considers it valuable. Its a confidence scam and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

It may be basic, but it is not empty and pointless.
    There isn't a HR department (or person) in the world that considers it valuable. Its a confidence scam and nothing else.
    I'd disagree with the HR bit, and the rest is a pretty cynical opinion.

druidhill wrote: »
    It may be basic, but it is not empty and pointless.

I'd disagree with the HR bit, and the rest is a pretty cynical opinion.

Cynicism is often true.

The ECDL is worthless, it always has been worthless and it always will be worthless. Someone has made themselves very rich off the backs of people who didn't know better.

It does not contain enough to improve someones work practices - if you think it does you've clearly never seen the course content.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 cork93

Having done ECDL a few years ago I agree that it is a complete waste of time and money.
    Content is awful and tends to focus on the most irrelevant aspects.

You'd be better off watching some free youtube videos.

The only place I can see it being worthwhile is perhaps as an intro for elderly people just starting to learn to use a computer who really need to be spoon fed everything. And even at that many of the modules would be pointless (eg MS Access)

Advertisement