Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Business

• 06-03-2012 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any tips on how to go about studying business? As far as I can see, it's not like Biology or Chemistry where you can predict it to a certain extent, it seems to just be a never-ending course of boring waffle that you have to be able to produce on the day.

What are the most important topics to know inside out?

Also a few predictions wouldn't go astray ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭I_ENJOY_BATHS

The thing about business is that it is just boring waffle chapter after chapter, however, if you do get stuck in the exam you can bull**** as a lot of it is common sense.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Well, after my mock today I can safely say all I remembered was stuff from exam q's I'd done, not so much from highlighting in the book! I'd practice all the exam questions and look for solutions, they seem to be ridiculously strict on adding in a bit of waffle to actually get your marks :confused:

For the ABQ I think the bits with lots in them are important that are relevant to real, everyday business - e.g privatisation/preparing staff for change :) I'd also study unit 7 a lot since you need it for Section 3 Part 1 and theres not as much choice in that part!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

The thing about business is that it is just boring waffle chapter after chapter, however, if you do get stuck in the exam you can bull**** as a lot of it is common sense.

I agree. For example if they ask about benefits of teamwork, just imagine being on a team and how you'd feel(well.. on a business team:rolleyes:). Motivated, valued, more ideas are thought of between team members. etc. On predictions I don't know any, although the EU comes up every year ;) Even if it is a boring piece of sh**. I think the most important things to know are Breakn even chart, taxation, all the ratios, ownership structures, motivational theories(I like this because if you know the X and Y managers then you know Autocratic and Democratic). Uhm, elements of a contract, marketing(4 P's)..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

SeanMadd wrote: »
    I agree. For example if they ask about benefits of teamwork, just imagine being on a team and how you'd feel(well.. on a business team:rolleyes:). Motivated, valued, more ideas are thought of between team members. etc. On predictions I don't know any, although the EU comes up every year ;) Even if it is a boring piece of sh**. I think the most important things to know are Breakn even chart, taxation, all the ratios, ownership structures, motivational theories(I like this because if you know the X and Y managers then you know Autocratic and Democratic). Uhm, elements of a contract, marketing(4 P's)..

Dont forget all the legislations, very handy when learned off for Q1

Do yous really think breakeven would come up? Didnt it come up last year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

Yeah but shur that was only a short question? Could come up again, and I'm sure you'd be kicking yourself if it was a long Q and you couldn't remember how to do it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Patchy~ wrote: »
    We haven't really done it in class much, but I got an A1 in the Mock and have to get an A1 again in the leaving so i'm going to teach myself it just incase it did come up! I'd die if it did and I hadn't it learnt seeing as Q.7 is my Question (full marks in the mock ftw! :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭lainey108

my teachers terrible got a d in the mocks but i want a b..any tips.. i just dont know what to do :/

lol pictureframe teach meeee, i honestly feel like i got a D in the mock, i dont get it! i know its mostly common sense but the terms just throw me off sometimes, and my teacher never gives me full marks even with perfect answers - 18/20 maximum :confused: such a confidence killer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Practise and answering the questions and in the right format to the verb that they use like define , analyse , compare etc.. And have examples.

• Advertisement

I was thinking of leaving the breakeven chart out, it's not my strongest question and even if it came up I could do a different question. I prefer the other writing questions or ratios. I think it's a handy question if your good at the breakeven chart. It might come up it doesn't look as if it comes up often though.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lord Ned Stark

i got an A1 in the mocks with very little study tbh i just always did my homework we do exam revision questions in class and homework and i just seem to remember them easily after that ! its all about answering the question asked accurately by that i mean being precisely on point. i generally just add little bits of information(waffle) for example in a definition add the effects of it or benefits etc

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Reprazent

Exam Papers

I cant stress them enough. Just answer questions constantly with your notes and if your able read them aloud to yourself while you write.

They can't really ask you anything that has not been on exam papers already so your covered. I have a unreal set of notes a buddy sent to me for business that covers the whole course. His teacher made him who's the bloke who wrote one of the business revision guides. However, many argue that your notes that you make are the best but if you wish so anyway, I can email them all on to you. PM if your interested!

I'd like to believe business is my best subject and I've been doing very well in class tests and got an A2 in the mocks and doing exam questions is the only way I have studied business essentially. Then again, it may be different for yourself everyone has different was of studying this is just my two cents.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 stapler10

if you just learn the 3 units of the ABQ that will cover you for the paper because unit 4 is question 5 each year, unit 5 is question 6 and 7 each year and unit 6 is question 2 each year, so by just learning those 3 units you have the compulsory abq covered, you will have section 3 covered (long questions) the only thing then is the short questions, with the units you have covered you should be able 2 manage most of them anyways, sure just go over the short q's from the previous years cause there repitive anyways...Boom A1 in business with revising less than half of the book....anybody thing this is a good idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 BritBrit

Do you think I'd be ok leaving out unit 7? I still have to do 3 chapters in unit 6 (which are necessary for ABQ) and I know unit 1 inside out. I also know units 2,3,4 and 5 well. It's just that I'm so stressed out with study and need to cut as much as I can LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mockshelp

YES. Leave out unit 7. It's the hardest marked question. I did it in my Leaving last year and when rechecking my paper I got like 50/60 in every question and only 30/50 in Question 7. They mark it hard. I didn't know that cause my teacher wasn't good. Biggest mistake in my whole leaving cert. But at least you know now. So study every unit except unit 7 and you'll be grand. Do read through it anyway because you need to know it generally for the short questions. If you know units 1-6 you'll have a great choice in long questions.

mockshelp wrote: »
    YES. Leave out unit 7. It's the hardest marked question. I did it in my Leaving last year and when rechecking my paper I got like 50/60 in every question and only 30/50 in Question 7. They mark it hard. I didn't know that cause my teacher wasn't good. Biggest mistake in my whole leaving cert. But at least you know now. So study every unit except unit 7 and you'll be grand. Do read through it anyway because you need to know it generally for the short questions. If you know units 1-6 you'll have a great choice in long questions.
    Really? :eek: My geography elective is based partly on that unit so I know it pretty well...I was looking forward to doing it :( Are you sure it wasnt just answered by a lot of people and they raised the standard or something? Thanks for the heads up either way :)

I was thinking of learning the unit 7 didn't know it was marked hard and as I need to know most of whats in that chapter for economics anyway .I might leave it out then in the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

They'd mark it hard if you didn't know the information they asked you. It's handy, we didn't even have it done before the Mock, I bluffed it from what I had learnt in Economics and got 60/60 in it. I personally think it's one of the easiest questions, they only ask 4/5 questions with a slight difference in how the question is asked. IMO Q.2 is marked harder. I did a perfect answer in the Mock for it and I got 55/60 even though the answer was straight off a previous years exam paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

I might sound totally out of the loop, but could anyone give me breakdown of what the questions are please?
    My teacher won't do it, so I have to do it myself.

As in Q1 is unit one, Q2 is... and so forth :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭angela1711

Q1 is unit 1
    Q2 is unit 2
    Q3 is unit 7
    Q4 is unit 2 and 3
    Q5 is unit 4
    Q6 is unit 5
    Q7 is unit 5

angela1711 wrote: »
    Q1 is unit 1
    Q2 is unit 2
    Q3 is unit 7
    Q4 is unit 2 and 3
    Q5 is unit 4
    Q6 is unit 5
    Q7 is unit 5
    what about unit 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 stapler10

unit 6 is question 2

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭angela1711

yeah sorry q2 is unit 6 i made a mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Could I realistically get around a B2 if I just study units 4, 5 and 6?

You could get an A - my teacher explained it, the whole exam this year pretty much revolves around them :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

You could get an A - my teacher explained it, the whole exam this year pretty much revolves around them :P

... Seriously? :O

Am I the only one who thinks it's hard to condense the info into notes?

... Seriously? :O
    Yep, its not definite but it could happen that 360+ of the marks are units 4-6!

Also Manic - yes! Its all basically in note form in my book, 400 pages of notes :pac:

• Advertisement

Yep, its not definite but it could happen that 360+ of the marks are units 4-6!

Also Manic - yes! Its all basically in note form in my book, 400 pages of notes :pac:

Wow do you have the whole course covered and notes written on it all? I've only notes done on unit 4 atm. :/

Also, anyone got any tips on the short questions atall?

Advertisement