Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spreading lime on land

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭adne

kay 9 wrote: »
    HAve been using the gran lime and it's much better we find. Faster acting, more grass, less waste and much cheaper. The best thing is ya can put it out yourself.

I thought it was much much more expensive. How much is a50KG bag of gran lime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

adne wrote: »
    I thought it was much much more expensive. How much is a50KG bag of gran lime?

I can't remember what i paid for a few bags for reseeding a few months back - but I know that it was no more than €7 per 50kg bag.

reilig wrote: »
    I can't remember what i paid for a few bags for reseeding a few months back - but I know that it was no more than €7 per 50kg bag.

thats way more expensive. €7 x 20 = 140 a tonne x 20 = €2800 as opposed to roughly 450 for a 20 tonne load delivered and spread

thats way more expensive. €7 x 20 = 140 a tonne x 20 = €2800 as opposed to roughly 450 for a 20 tonne load delivered and spread

Granulated Lime is ISOXYDE of Lime (ie. Concentrated). It is recommended to spread 150kg of granulated lime per acre when you are reseeding or 1 ton of ordinary lime per acre. 1 ton of ordinary lime costs approx €20. 150kg of granulated lime costs €21. (I got these figures from the seeds section of www.kerryagribusiness.ie )

price comparison, there's very little in the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭cattle man

hi i spread lime last spring.
    cost 13.5 euro delivered and 5 euro a tone to spread.

we sprad 2.5 ton to the acre after a soil test.

• Advertisement

Granulated Lime is ISOXYDE of Lime (ie. Concentrated). It is recommended to spread 150kg of granulated lime per acre when you are reseeding or 1 ton of ordinary lime per acre. 1 ton of ordinary lime costs approx €20. 150kg of granulated lime costs €21. (I got these figures from the seeds section of www.kerryagribusiness.ie )

price comparison, there's very little in the difference.

Apologies for my ignorance. So would Granulated Lime only be spread on ground you are reseeding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

gran lime is classified by the dept, as being 3 times more efficient as ground limestone , so €140 per tone it is working out @ over 2 times the price of ground limestone costing €20 per ton delivered and spread

140/3 = 46.66

some of the manufacturers however claim it is 6 times as efficient which would bring it on par with ground limestone however for reps you must treat it as being 3 times hence costly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

kay 9 wrote: »
    Mcgraths have good lime, not sure of the prices though as we havent put it out in a while. HAve been using the gran lime and it's much better we find. Faster acting, more grass, less waste and much cheaper. The best thing is ya can put it out yourself.

Are ye having to put out granulated lime each year?

From what I understand the ground(?) lime takes a year to work but lasts much much longer in the ground?

Correct me if am wrong.

Thanks Snowman, I was just quoting what was on the website - where did you find thise figures? I have been searching for figures on the granulated lime, but there aren't a lot published.

I haven't used a lot of granulated lime - only for reseeding and it appears to work very well. I think that granulated lime is probably more suitable for crops other than grass. It is supposed to work within a few weeks of it being spread - ie lower ph whereas it can take lime up to 12 months to work - not much good if you spread it on a crop of potatoes that need a ph of 6 and that you want to harvest this year.
    snowman707 wrote: »
    gran lime is classified by the dept, as being 3 times more efficient as ground limestone , so €140 per tone it is working out @ over 2 times the price of ground limestone costing €20 per ton delivered and spread

140/3 = 46.66

some of the manufacturers however claim it is 6 times as efficient which would bring it on par with ground limestone however for reps you must treat it as being 3 times hence costly

Thanks Snowman, I was just quoting what was on the website - where did you find thise figures? I have been searching for figures on the granulated lime, but there aren't a lot published.

I haven't used a lot of granulated lime - only for reseeding and it appears to work very well. I think that granulated lime is probably more suitable for crops other than grass. It is supposed to work within a few weeks of it being spread - ie lower ph whereas it can take lime up to 12 months to work - not much good if you spread it on a crop of potatoes that need a ph of 6 and that you want to harvest this year.

the figures are from my reps planner,

gran lime needs to be spread every year, preferably at the start of the growing season, ie february onwards ,

BTW it is priced at 170 to 200 per ton locally here

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.

I must talk to my reps planner about it.

I checked the receipt for the granulated lime that I bought in August - EUR 140 per ton for Acheson and Glover Granulated lime.

Looking at their website, they claim that its 5 times as efficient as ordinary lime and it should be spread at approximately 50kg per acre on an annual basis (as you stated in your post above), but they say that this has been verified by DEFRA. They also claim that by using Granulated lime, you are putting magnesium back into the grass which reduces the chances of farmers losing animals due to illnesses related to low levels of magnesium.

I don't know anything about it really and I'm definitely not qualified to make any judgements on it. I suppose its something that we will here a lot more about in the future - if it does what they say.
    snowman707 wrote: »
    the figures are from my reps planner,

gran lime needs to be spread every year, preferably at the start of the growing season, ie february onwards ,

BTW it is priced at 170 to 200 per ton locally here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

I paid €9 a bag (40 KG) for a bit of reseeding I was doing this year. It was only a couple of acres so it was cheaper than the loose lime. Its ok for a small area but I wouldn't like to be doing it for a big area.

"The maximum amount of lime that can be spread over the duration of a 5-year period is 12 tonnes per hectare. In any case, a single lime dressing should not exceed 6 tonnes per hectare. Any ground limestone material must meet all the requirements (i.e. T.N.V., fineness, moisture content) for ground limestone as laid down in S.I. 248 of 1978. The only other liming materials that may be used are burnt/hydrated lime, sugar factory lime and calcified seaweed. Ground limestone with a declared fineness of 100% less than 0.1mm in granulated form may be considered three times more effective than standard ground limestone. Such granulated lime products must be spread annually, at the rate appropriate to the lime requirement indicated in the soil analysis results."

found above on the gouldings website

http://www.gouldings.ie/products_gran_lime_reps.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 black diamond

red bull wrote: »
    Anyone with experience of Mc Graths of Cong or Mortimers of Belclare 150 tons to spread I dont want to make any mistakes :confused:
    I ve used both over the years. Gave mortimers a go four years ago and have stuck with them for no other reason but the fact that they are a small family run quarry compared to the other producers. Both mcgraths and Mortimer produce excellent "ground" limestone. Some of the other producers don't grind there stone down to size but screen it out of another process I believe. As has been mention the quality is poor.

All quarries are priced the same from my knowledge but if you want good quality dry lime the two mentioned above are the best option for Galway mayo area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I ve used both over the years. Gave mortimers a go four years ago and have stuck with them for no other reason but the fact that they are a small family run quarry compared to the other producers. Both mcgraths and Mortimer produce excellent "ground" limestone. Some of the other producers don't grind there stone down to size but screen it out of another process I believe. As has been mention the quality is poor.

All quarries are priced the same from my knowledge but if you want good quality dry lime the two mentioned above are the best option for Galway mayo area.

Have you a number of them? Must organise to get some spread. Cheers

Collected granulated lime yesterday at EUR6 per 50kg bag.

Its getting cheap!!

Quoted €9 Greenes, Ahascragh and €9.85/bag Connacht Gold Athleague for Gouldings GRAN LIME today so it's getting dearer around these parts(around the €7 last year). Old stock and other brands may be cheaper. Spreading this on ground that floods each winter.

Have ordered Ground lime from Roadstone @€;23/tonne delivered and spread. Couldn't do any better than that from any other supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Suckler

Muckit wrote: »
    Quoted €9 Greenes, Ahascragh and €9.85/bag Connacht Gold Athleague for Gouldings GRAN LIME today so it's getting dearer around these parts(around the €7 last year). Old stock and other brands may be cheaper. Spreading this on ground that floods each winter.

Have ordered Ground lime from Roadstone @€;23/tonne delivered and spread. Couldn't do any better than that from any other supplier.

We got a load in from Murrays quarry if its near you.

Suckler wrote: »
    We got a load in from Murrays quarry if its near you.

Where are they suckler? Can't say that I've heard of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Suckler

Muckit wrote: »
    Where are they suckler? Can't say that I've heard of them

Sorry Muckit just checked with the father, we got it from Roadstone. Murrays dont do it at all. They are good for stone deliveries etc. if you're looking for that kida thing. They are just outside Athleague toward Scrine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

johngalway wrote: »
    Are ye having to put out granulated lime each year?

From what I understand the ground(?) lime takes a year to work but lasts much much longer in the ground?

Correct me if am wrong.
    We put it out the back end of last year. Again about 2 weeks ago. So thats it again for 2 years. Yes John the ground lime will last longer but one also must wait longer for it to work. Our land is quite shallow anyway so the gran lime is a better job. It's not the golden vale where the lime has a better chance of lasting;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Its getting cheap!!
    Where and what brand? Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Its getting cheap!!

Wow that is good i ordered it today too and thought i was doing well @EU8.50 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

lisaj wrote: »
    Anyone know of any quarries in Meath that'll do about 20 tonnes delivered, but not spread at a good price?

There is a quarry in Meathill near Kingscourt but I'm not sure who it's ran by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

johnny fox spreads in that area, he gets it for you and spreads it 0872630112

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Black Smoke

Whilst we are on the subject of spreading stuff this time of year. Is now the best time to spread P and K on silage ground in particular? Seem to remember we used to do it like that when I was a nipper. Then just nitrogen in the spring.
    Just waiting for soil sample results and no doubt I will need to top up with P and K. P in particular I expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

bbam wrote: »
    There is a quarry in Meathill near Kingscourt but I'm not sure who it's ran by.[/Quote
    limestone industries ltd mokerrin
    salesmans no. 0879176430

• Registered Users Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭stanflt

limestone industries co monaghan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

We need to put out 2t of lime to the acre, what's the story with grazing afterwards? Is it ok once the first shower of rain falls or does it need to left wash in for a while, or should it be left all winter?

I suppose I'm asking do I have to wait until the ground is closed for the winter or could I spread away if ground conditions came right.

Any thoughts??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Black Smoke

Does anybody remember the good old days, spreading slag, instead of lime:D
    You would be like a negro after it!

Didn't know you could still get it ..... http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/fertilisers/3984211

Old guys, had great belief in it to "sweeten", the grass:P

Advertisement