Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can water, electricity, and gas supplies run in same conduit ?

Options
  • 21-11-2015 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

hi all,

i'm looking at a new build with tight/narrow access. we need to run the services from the public road underneath this access lane. I wondered if anyone new the rules about running water, gas, and electricity in the same conduit ? Is it possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

Sea point wrote:
    i'm looking at a new build with tight/narrow access. we need to run the services from the public road underneath this access lane. I wondered if anyone new the rules about running water, gas, and electricity in the same conduit ? Is it possible?

If your digging a trench in the access lane to bring the services in sure it's just as easy to lay 3 x 4" ducts giving you one duct for each service.

Then if you ever have to bring new supply in later on in life down the line, you don't have to 're dig the access lane.

One duct probably can be done, might not be ideal in the real world though. As there usually is specifications for laying services. They usually require spacing between other utilities.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sea point wrote: »
    hi all,

I can't see Gas Networks Ireland allowing their supply to mingle with others, same for ESB.

I would personally want them in separate ducts.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sea point

Hi delfagio. Thanks for your message.

The lane way for the services is only 3 to 3.5 feet wide. Will that be wide enough to lay three separate ducts for water , electricity, and gas with the required spacing that Esb, Bord Gais and Irish water will ask for ?

hi kceire. Thanks for your thoughts.

I suspect that you are right that there is little chance one duct would be possible for all three services.

Do you know what the minimum spacing required will be between the three separate ducts. I assume you couldn't lay them on top of each other and that they will need to be spaced out to the left and right of each other ?

Sea point wrote:
    The lane way for the services is only 3 to 3.5 feet wide. Will that be wide enough to lay three separate ducts for water , electricity, and gas with the required spacing that Esb, Bord Gais and Irish water will ask for ?

I assume you mean 3 - 3.5m instead of feet. No?? But yes you would have enough space in this to Kay the 3 ducts.
    Sea point wrote:
    Do you know what the minimum spacing required will be between the three separate ducts. I assume you couldn't lay them on top of each other and that they will need to be spaced out to the left and right of each other ?

Yes you can lay services on top of each other. Usually spacing between services both horizontally and vertically is 300mm.

If you look up specifications for laying if electrical ducts for ESB, type something like this into Google, you should find a PDF document from ESB for laying esb duct and cables. Or you should find it on the ESB website under new home connection section. This shows the spacing required from ESB cable in proximity to other services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Separate ducts for gas, water and ESB.

Can you imagine if you had a water leak with the electricity in the same conduit? Very bad practice in my opinion.

If you are digging a trench its very little extra cost to split.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sea point wrote: »
    hi kceire. Thanks for your thoughts.

I suspect that you are right that there is little chance one duct would be possible for all three services.

ESB and GNI both have their own sets of site standards that can be got online from their site I think. I'd be only guessing if I gave you an answer. Although the networks departments of each group are quite good so if you called them they may tell you over the phone or arrange an inspection as they will want to see them in place before they start pulling cables etc

cpoh1 wrote:
    Can you imagine if you had a water leak with the electricity in the same conduit? Very bad practice in my opinion.

Wouldn't make any difference

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

delfagio wrote: »

The standard Clearance between services should be 300 mm.
    600mm should be allowed from high pressure pipe.
    If you have about 1.2m that you can dig, I would lay 3 ducts all on the one level spacing them as good as possible to give 600 and 300 mm spacing.
    ducts should be 600mm + below surface.

Thanks for all the info everyone. Yes I only have 1.2 metres of space that I can dig for services. So it sounds like the solution is to lay three separate ducts on the same level (roughly 600mm beneath the surface) and to space the three ducts as much as possible (so roughly 500mm apart allowing for the diameters of the three ducts).

I will go and look for the materials people suggested online. Thanks again for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

delfagio wrote: »

Rubbish!

cpoh1 wrote:
    Rubbish!

I was saying "it wouldn't make a difference" about what you said in your previous post, about having a water leak in with an electric cable. Not that it's ok to have the two in the same duct....Sure I already told the OP to put in three ducts one for each utility

Advertisement