Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a solar inverter...

• 25-11-2015 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hello,

On my last "mouse click" in buying a 3Kw solar inverter.
    Decided to go for this one here (technical details) and to purchase it from here.

I'm planning to get some batteries, at some point and hopefully the feed-in decision will be positive.
    I have to buy and install a set of 6-12 solar PVs.

Any one using it, any feedback, please !?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

You will need an EN50438 certificate to connect this, and Ireland has unique variants to this standard, which must also have been tested.

While Ireland having a unique standard is economically absurd, the anti-islanding requirements aren't.

Oops - just editing. Hadn't realised this was also doubling as an offgrid inverter. I would still prefer to have two separate units.

There are solar inverters in the 3.6kw range coming appropriate Irish version of EN50438 that you will need for about €650 - This version on Ali Express is from an unknown supplier and costs €400 more, but with battery inverter options.

You can use a normal grid tied inverter and later AC couple this to an off-grid inverter/charger. This will also give you grid power back from your batteries when you need it as well, but with more reputable kit. And modular, so if one component fails, you haven't lost all components.

I have found Chinese battery inverters to be unreliable in the past. I also think this unit is based on a 120V battery bank. That is quite non-standard. Usually battery banks are 48v. 120V will limit your options later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Thanks for reply.

So basically, i have to start with the EN50438 certificate and then drill it down to other specs.
    Any idea that ABB 3kw unit comes near or match the Irish grid, please !?

Then, i may need a MPPT for 2-4 batteries, as a draft backup.

Thanks again...

@quentingargan

One last Q favour, please !
    Was looking at a ABB 3-5Kwbut stil not happy..
    I'm designing my system with an Outback grid-tie invertor like this H E R E .
    What are your opinion about it, will it work with Irish grid ?
    Found it on various European websites, with a good price tag.

Thanks in advance.

Vented GVFX3024E (50Hz)

The OutBack International Series true sine wave grid-interactive inverter/charger is a complete power solution. The International Series is designed for use in 50 Hz countries that have utility grids with nominal AC voltages of 230 VAC / 50Hz. For areas that frequently experience high or low power conditions such as surges, spikes or brownouts, or have trouble syncing to the utility grid, the International Series grid reconnect timers have been shortened to reduce overall system downtime and improve system functionality.

Incorporating a DC to AC sine wave inverter, battery charger and AC transfer switch housed within a die-cast aluminum chassis, the International Series GTFX and GVFX Inverter/Charger gives you the ability to sell solar, wind or hydro power back to the utility grid while providing instantaneous backup power in the event of a utility outage.

Our built-in transfer switch automatically disconnects your loads from the utility grid and powers them from the inverter in the event of an outage, allowing you to continue using your solar and battery backup power (unlike traditional grid-tie systems). Intelligent multi-stage battery charging prolongs the life of your batteries and built-in networked communications allow for simultaneous communications of up to 10 OutBack Power components within the system. The exclusive modular system architecture means that increased power output is just an additional inverter/charger away. Our International Series GTFX uses a sealed chassis that can operate in the harshest environmental conditions such as high humidity and corrosive salt air while the International Series GVFX uses a vented chassis with “bug proof” screened openings that allow high output AC power for various operating conditions.

OutBack Power inverter/chargers are the only choice when you need a true sine wave, powerful, modular and reliable power solution for your home, business or extreme application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

rolion wrote: »
    @quentingargan

One last Q favour, please !
    Was looking at a ABB 3-5Kwbut stil not happy..
    I'm designing my system with an Outback grid-tie invertor like this H E R E .
    What are your opinion about it, will it work with Irish grid ?
    Found it on various European websites, with a good price tag.

Thanks in advance.

Vented GVFX3024E (50Hz)

The OutBack International Series true sine wave grid-interactive inverter/charger is a complete power solution. The International Series is designed for use in 50 Hz countries that have utility grids with nominal AC voltages of 230 VAC / 50Hz. For areas that frequently experience high or low power conditions such as surges, spikes or brownouts, or have trouble syncing to the utility grid, the International Series grid reconnect timers have been shortened to reduce overall system downtime and improve system functionality.

Incorporating a DC to AC sine wave inverter, battery charger and AC transfer switch housed within a die-cast aluminum chassis, the International Series GTFX and GVFX Inverter/Charger gives you the ability to sell solar, wind or hydro power back to the utility grid while providing instantaneous backup power in the event of a utility outage.

Our built-in transfer switch automatically disconnects your loads from the utility grid and powers them from the inverter in the event of an outage, allowing you to continue using your solar and battery backup power (unlike traditional grid-tie systems). Intelligent multi-stage battery charging prolongs the life of your batteries and built-in networked communications allow for simultaneous communications of up to 10 OutBack Power components within the system. The exclusive modular system architecture means that increased power output is just an additional inverter/charger away. Our International Series GTFX uses a sealed chassis that can operate in the harshest environmental conditions such as high humidity and corrosive salt air while the International Series GVFX uses a vented chassis with “bug proof” screened openings that allow high output AC power for various operating conditions.

OutBack Power inverter/chargers are the only choice when you need a true sine wave, powerful, modular and reliable power solution for your home, business or extreme application.

Neither the ABB 3.5 nor the Outback are currently certified to the grid code of EN50438 with unique Irish variants. Victron also makes a similar battery inverter and has relays for it that comply with G83 G59 etc., in the UK, but few companies are prepared to certifiy their products for the tiny Irish market.

I've used both Outback and Victron myself in off-grid systems and they are good robust units

Thanks for reply.

I have the budget saved, picked my LG panels, my Trojan batteries, my Outback MPPT charger ... now I'm waiting for a grid-tie device.

If you around Dublin these days AND feel the need to chat...I'm willing to "offer" a black coffee for a short quick professional consultation...

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

120V will limit your options later.

:pac: Not at all. It'll run site tools with universal motors straight from the battery terminals. Cheap cable. 115V lighting, cwaor what fun... ;)
    Might be a tad expensive for rated switchgear though. whistling.gif

Studer make a fine inverter.

ABB Power One 5Kw PVI 5000 has the EN 50438 Irish accreditation !

http://new.abb.com/power-converters-inverters/solar/string/single-phase/pvi-5000kw-6000kw

https://library.e.abb.com/public/26c435afbb5674e5c1257d0900540b66/PVI-6000(5000)-TL-OUTD%20(Power-One%20Ireland%20EN%2050438%20Certificate)%20Rev.%202013-09-16.pdf

Now, im struggling trying to find how to integrate the PVs - MPPT charger / controller - batteries - Inverter - off-grid / on-grid....

rolion wrote: »

Now, im struggling trying to find how to integrate the PVs - MPPT charger / controller - batteries - Inverter - off-grid / on-grid....

Stick an off grid inverter/charger input on yer mains and install a generator changeover on the off grid inverter output with isolated/change-over circuits downstream. Lots of battery inverters have automatic changeover relays internally. I think the Victron Multipus and Studer Xtender are worth a lookat.
    Let the charge controller watch it's own corner.

What are the batteries? Trojan make a fine 6v but I'd want 2V for a house.

Advertisement