Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheapest Petrol In and Around the City/Suburbs

Options
  • 22-07-2014 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭

I thought we could all share our experiences here and maybe all save some money too, who's got a station they use regularly based on price?
    Filling up my 1.6l car now takes about €70 :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

Check out pumps.ie or their app.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

My 1.6 took 75 to fill last week in whites cross at 153.9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Most of the time it's a waste of time looking for cheap petrol/diesel. You probably have a 50L tank, so even if you find a place that's 2c per liter cheaper, you'll only save a euro. So unless it's the closest station to you it's probably a false economy anyway. Then you couple that with the fact that most people never bother doing the math, so there's usually longer queues at the cheaper station, which are totally worht skipping for the sake of a few cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Nino Brown wrote: »
    Most of the time it's a waste of time looking for cheap petrol/diesel. You probably have a 50L tank, so even if you find a place that's 2c per liter cheaper, you'll only save a euro. So unless it's the closest station to you it's probably a false economy anyway. Then you couple that with the fact that most people never bother doing the math, so there's usually longer queues at the cheaper station, which are totally worht skipping for the sake of a few cents.

True and add the fact that if value and economy are the priority hauling a full tank of fuel around is almost like carrying a large child. However the object of the exercise should be to find a reasonably priced place maybe on your commute. The worst thing you could do is give your money to one of those rural stations which are 10c above the average with God knows what lurking in their ancient tanks.

There's a massive new Amber being built at the start of the Bandon road alongside Wm. O'Brien's and they are almost sure to be at the low end of the pricing scale. At the moment, the Amber in Glounthaune (another freshly built facility) are at about 1.53 for petrol but I don't know about diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

ofcork wrote: »
    My 1.6 took 75 to fill last week in whites cross at 153.9.

My 1.2 Stilo costs over €90 to fill :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Esso? South City Link Road, Cork, petrol is around 151.9, diesel somewhere around 1.43/l from what I remember when I passed it yesterday, ive seen prices 7-9c/l more expensive in the past week
    Thats 30-35c a gallon dearer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

Id be more interested in getting the cost of a gallon of Heineken under €35

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

bogman wrote: »
    Esso? South City Link Road, Cork, petrol is around 151.9, diesel somewhere around 1.43/l from what I remember when I passed it yesterday, ive seen prices 7-9c/l more expensive in the past week

That place is known to be one of the cheapest stations in the city - or at least I've always know it to be one anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Theres a great gas out in glounthane thats usually very cheap if you're out that direction, think its was around 151/2 for petrol at the weekend.

Its an automated station though so only takes cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

bogman wrote: »

i love that station, use it all the time, they always tend to be one of the cheapest

one morning i was in there and the price on the sign said 152.9 (something like that) when i got to the pump it said 151.9, so when i went in to pay i said this to them in case it had gone up and the pump hadn't changed,

he laughed thanked me and told me the guy was just gone out to lower the sign.

just thought it was nice that they do actually lower the prices where others would have waited until the end of the day (my husband worked in a petrol station that would leave it until the last possible minute to do decreases but they were shoo'd outside straight away for increases)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

There's a station on the model farm road as well that is meant to be fairly "cheap" in comparison to the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Just to add to this theres one out by Woodies and Musgrave Park, just passed Turners Cross, right before the Volkswagen Garage that does cheap petrol/diesel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

Amber up in Mayfield is usually pretty keenly priced.

I used to use Discount Fuels in Hollyhill but they're not so cheap these days.

I don't agree about not shopping around for the sake of a euro or so. For a start, it's fifty quid or more over the course of a year, and more importantly I think it's important to support companies that make an effort to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

What effort exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ktc99

Maxol on Boreenmanna Road in Balinlough are the cheapest in the city now I think. 150.9 for petrol and 143.9 for diesel. Get petrol there regularly. Sound lads there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

leahyl wrote: »
    There's a station on the model farm road as well that is meant to be fairly "cheap" in comparison to the rest

Lee Garage (Peugeot Dealer, towards Dennehy's cross.
    Cheap all right.
    Your man's a laugh in there though (not)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

ktc99 wrote: »
    Maxol on Boreenmanna Road in Balinlough are the cheapest in the city now I think. 150.9 for petrol and 143.9 for diesel. Get petrol there regularly. Sound lads there.

i paid 149.9 for petrol in esso on the link last week...

It was a cent more than the above yesterday though, at least according to Pumps.ie. Offline today though, can't check when it was last updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Cheap all right.

Ha Ha. Yeah, he's a character alright - would have had a spot in our (dearly departed) "Characters of Cork" thread.

Lee Garage is always good value, as is the 24 hour self-service place in the business park by the Kinsale Road roundabout - across the road from Harvey Norman.

Funnily enough, I was in Ballincollig at the weekend and found there was great value - yes, I look at the price of diesel in EVERY SINGLE petrol station I pass!! I filled up for 141.9 per litre in the place on the way out of Ballincollig (is it Topaz??) heading west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

The maxol on the west side of ballincollig has a 10c off per liter offer next thursday (a special opening offer)

see maxol.ie/fuelsaving
    (no affiliation - just got the flyer in the door)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ktc99

Where is the cheapest at the moment do people think/know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

ktc99 wrote: »
    Where is the cheapest at the moment do people think/know?

Iniscarra top garage I'd say. Just look up pumps.ie and you'll find it ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Applegreen in Ovens was 1.48 (petrol) last week anyway, and had been that price for quite some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

you should see price drops of about 5c-6c in the next week to 10 days. Similarly you should see home heat drop by about €50 per 1000 litres.

Since last week, oil prices have dropped a net 10% after currency changes (previous oil prices reductions were mostly consumed by a stronger dollar).
    Of the approx 1.53 you pay (or 1.43 in case of diesel), about 50c - 52c if the cost of the fuel, about 10c-12c is split between distributor and retailer and the rest is tax.
    Within that 50c is also refining costs and transport costs to/from refinery from oil fields. - I estimate about 5c-7c a litre.

That give a net raw material cost of each litre of about 45c

So as oil prices have dropped 10%, this means a 4.5c reduction + the vat on that 4.5c, meaning approx 5.5c reduction due at the pumps in a week - 10 days time.

If oil was $1 - we'd still be paying about €1.10 at the pumps. Likewise if oil doubled overnight to $170 and dollar stayed as it was, the increase at the pumps would be about 50c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Having a Diesel car helps if you do long distances.

But the only thing is diesel cars cost more to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Cheap all right.

He's the reason I stopped going there, serious attitude problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

to each their own !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Applegreen in Ovens was 1.48 (petrol) last week anyway, and had been that price for quite some time.

as of yesterday, its €1.468 for petrol and
    €1.388 for daysul

Advertisement