Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Time to boycott Isaraeli products

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

dilallio wrote: »
    Wile E. Coyote - Feel free to let us know of products manufactured in / by other purveyors of human rights abuses, and we will gladly boycott these.

Well to make it easy on you, you could try boycotting anything made in China or India. That should give you a fairly big pool of products to avoid. Or seeing as the USA are the main benefactors of Israel why not start with them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

muddypaws wrote: »
    I tried that a few years ago, impossible to do, things that you would never imagine to be made in China are. Most ironic is dog shampoo!

Indeed, and even if the finished product isn't made in China there's a good chance one or more of the components that make it up are.

They've moved on a lot from being the leading purveyor of rubber dog **** in the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I don't buy any of these things anyway

I'd have to buy some and then boycott them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

If you've ever had a service engineer from a television, gas or other utility call to your house then he was more than likely dispatched using Israeli software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I think it would be impossible to avoid all products that are in anyway linked back to countries who have committed human rights abuses. Not unless you grow all your own food, live a very simple life with no electricity and have no interest in modern medicine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,795 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ah the middle east, one of life's great imponderables.

To use an Irish-ism, to get to where they want to go, I wouldn't start from here. Try a reset to 1946 and take a close look at all the complicity in the middle east question and you might change your mind on whats really going on.

Besides, I couldnt live without a soda stream in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Larbre34 wrote: »
    .....Besides, I couldnt live without a soda stream in my life.

they have the coolest electronicy yokies

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Let's hit 'em where it hurts. Let's stop using ICQ!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Boycotting without a global view would be meaningless - Years ago the same thing backfired on themselves when chinese boycott japanese products.

Except when people boycotted apartheid South African goods and it played a major part in pressurising the government there at the time. Similarly, while people agitated for that boycott in the 1980s we had the usual legion of idiots making the same silly points back then as we do now.

"Why aren't they boycotting Nigeria or the Congo?"
    "Why aren't they ranting about Gadaffi?"
    "The blacks in SA have a higher living standard than the rest of Africa" etc etc etc

Nobody is saying that what's going on in Palestine is the only bad thing in the world; but it is one of the clearest cases at the moment of dispossession and colonisation against an utterly defenceless and defeated people. Unlike other places, Israel also holds itself up to be a western democracy and it's a state under the direct sponsorship and backing of other supposed champions of freedom in the western world. Much of what Israel does relies on it perpetuating its image as a democracy as well as building a solid export economy. A boycott of the regime is something which is paying dividends and achieving results. It is putting increasing pressure on the state there to change its policy.

People can pick holes in that all they want but thankfully most people in Ireland know colonisation and oppression when they see it and don't mind taking small steps to help the victims of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

Does this mean we should buy Palestinian products?

What do they make?

Looks like they make rockets.

• Advertisement

How does Israel afford all those weapons with products like that. I dont think i have ever bought one thing on that list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

catallus wrote: »
    I dunno why their fruit and veg is so tasty!

Is it because it's grown in the glorious Holy-Land?

It might be the bloodshed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

While we're at this, boycotting Israeli products, let's boycott stuff from other countries that abuse human rights.

Let's start off:

-USA; the big daddy of them all. Troops and military installations everywhere. Involvement in nearly every major conflict since 1945. Extraordinary renditions. Supports right-wing dictatorships. Et cetera.

Let's boycott all their stuff. So turn off your TV for a start. Most programming available today is from the USA. Switch off your music. A lot of bands/artists you love are American. No more Coca Cola, McDonalds, KFC, Burger King... all American. Let's not forget that pizza is an American invention, so by-proxy you should boycott that too. List goes on...

-UK; our nearest and dearest neighbours. But let's not forget involvement in Afghanistan and Iraq. Let's not forget Norn Ayern. Et cetera.

No more trade with the UK. Let's watch our economy go into the toilet completely. No more Corrie, Eastenders, Emmerdale... maybe that is a positive. No more speaking English either! That's from the UK, so we should boycott it, right?

-Russia; land-grabbing and gay-hating.

No more Russian gas. Let's all shiver in the cold without the Russian natural gas that heats Europe, but we can bask in the warm glow of knowing we're right. For sure, when granny freezes to death, at least we killed her she died for a noble cause.

-Saudi Arabia; misogynistic, homophobic, Sharia Law... need I say more. Oh, and more executions than Texas.

Boycott their oil! Yeah! That'll hurt 'em. Yeah, fair enough, it would bring about the end of civilisation without oil. But that would sure show those pesky Saudis who's boss! Let them laugh at us from their mountains of petro-dollars and all. We're right and we boycott their oil to make them change their ways!

-Brazil; human rights, haves-have-nots, etc.

No more coffee for you, sunshine. We have to make a stand here about the human rights. So, no more coffee! Ever... And forget about reading anything on paper, because most of the wood for paper comes from Brazil. Maybe not specifically THAT piece of paper... but aren't all trees related and deserving of our love? And so on...

-China; all of the above listed atrocities.

The world... would... STOP. Let's boycott Chinese products and services. Yeah... eh... pretty much every single fúcking thing IN YOUR HOUSE is "Made In China". Everything we have that makes us all warm and fuzzy is almost sure to come from China. Hell, even my favourite restaurant is from China (well, the food and recipes are). But, we have to boycott them! They're nasty to people!

and so on...

Boycotting products because a country is seen to be evil is bull. Especially when one "evil" country is cherry-picked over other "evil-doers" as being the daddy of all evil. And let's not forget why people want to boycott Israeli products more than say, Chinese products: because it will have little to no impact on their lives. Boycotting Israeli products is relatively easy and will have little to no negative impact upon your life. Boycott Chinese products? Haha, good luck being able to even walk out your front door (door: Made In China). Because your shoes and clothes were probably, you guessed it, Made In China.

This boycotting stuff is a fashionable thing to do. Next week, there will be something else to get all hormonal over.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

If you've ever had a service engineer from a television, gas or other utility call to your house then he was more than likely dispatched using Israeli software.
    Does that explain the Mossad like tactics they use; turning up when you least expect it, managing to "call" yet leave no trace, proficiency in krav maga etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

All my consumer goods come from the Caterpillar Large-Engine Facility in Lafayette, Indiana. Hand-assembled with pride by cuddly, dungaree-wearing fifty-something Moms with one tooth. It makes the house, particularly the kitchen, a little cramped and noisy, but at least they don't make it in the God-dam Yabba-Dabba. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

There seems to be an assumption that Israeli made products are only based in Israel or only employ Israeli's.

If you've ever got a prescription for a medicine with a generic version, there's a good chance the pharmacist gave you a medicine manufactured by Teva.

You could look at the company as a giant symbol of Israeli bullying (they employ over 40,000) or you could look at the fact that for years they have employed several hundred people in Waterford & Dundalk in generally speaking, well payed, skilled jobs that have no doubt contributed significantly to the local economies.

I know which one I would choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

catallus wrote: »
    God love them, I know they have their problems and all that, but their spuds are pretty good.

Irish spuds are better. What a bag, pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Jaffa oranges, and peppers ? Screw that - I love em too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Sugar Free wrote: »
    There seems to be an assumption that Israeli made products are only based in Israel or only employ Israeli's.

If you've ever got a prescription for a medicine with a generic version, there's a good chance the pharmacist gave you a medicine manufactured by Teva.

You could look at the company as a giant symbol of Israeli bullying (they employ over 40,000) or you could look at the fact that for years they have employed several hundred people in Waterford & Dundalk in generally speaking, well payed, skilled jobs that have no doubt contributed significantly to the local economies.

I know which one I would choose.

So would you choose money over lives? I know which one i would choose and it aint the money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Warper wrote: »
    So would you choose money over lives? I know which one i would choose and it aint the money

You are making that choice every time you purchase a product made in China.

I assume you are boycotting China?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

800 civilians killed by being blown to smithereens.

Someone suggests this is not right and maybe one of the oldest and most effective forms of protest is in order.

Gets shot down as a crusty crank by cheap thanks whoring morons.

Protesting indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭mcko

The Irish army buy their bullits from Israel even though ghey have killed Irish troops on the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Warper wrote: »

I don't work for them but if the choice was as simplistic as you're making it sound then yes, I'd choose the financial well being of citizens/residents in Ireland over that which does not affect me.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dobz95

On the topic of boycotts, is anybody here going to the 'Boycott Awareness Demo. Cork City' this Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

mcko wrote: »
    The Irish army buy their bullits from Israel even though ghey have killed Irish troops on the past.

They get most of the 5.56mm ammunition from Belgium since that episode with the Mossad and the fake Irish passports, I believe.

800 civilians killed by being blown to smithereens.

Someone suggests this is not right and maybe one of the oldest and most effective forms of protest is in order.

Gets shot down as a crusty crank by cheap thanks whoring morons.

Protesting indeed.

Pointing out the double standard of selecting Israel alone for boycott isn't "shooting down" anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

FTA69 wrote: »
    Except when people boycotted apartheid South African goods and it played a major part in pressurising the government there at the time. Similarly, while people agitated for that boycott in the 1980s we had the usual legion of idiots making the same silly points back then as we do now.

"Why aren't they boycotting Nigeria or the Congo?"
    "Why aren't they ranting about Gadaffi?"
    "The blacks in SA have a higher living standard than the rest of Africa" etc etc etc

Nobody is saying that what's going on in Palestine is the only bad thing in the world; but it is one of the clearest cases at the moment of dispossession and colonisation against an utterly defenceless and defeated people. Unlike other places, Israel also holds itself up to be a western democracy and it's a state under the direct sponsorship and backing of other supposed champions of freedom in the western world. Much of what Israel does relies on it perpetuating its image as a democracy as well as building a solid export economy. A boycott of the regime is something which is paying dividends and achieving results. It is putting increasing pressure on the state there to change its policy.

People can pick holes in that all they want but thankfully most people in Ireland know colonisation and oppression when they see it and don't mind taking small steps to help the victims of that.

You think the huuuuman rights lawyers have their hands full now with Israel.
    Can you imagine what would happen if hamas would win the war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Who protests the protesters?

Who protests the protesters?

I dunno......

Coastguard?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Pointing out the double standard of selecting Israel alone for boycott isn't "shooting down" anyone.

It is. Some of the responses have been fairly turgid hear. To say Israel is committing human rights abuse like any other number of countries is a fallacy.

Israel are in genocide territory here.

Maybe that's a bit strong? Even if it is, they have laid siege to a civilian population for over 8 years now, and they are running an apartheid state.

That is a fact. But yeah, can't say I'm surprised at people coming out having a cheap dig at anyone who protests Israels actions here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement