Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Compulsion to convert

• 21-07-2014 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

This evangelical born-again Christian is awarded €70,000 for being fired after preaching to all and sundry at work, despite repeated disciplinary proceedings.

My religion require me to blaspheme at all opportunities, and I can't get arrested even though the 2009 law prohibits it.

My religion also tells me I should convert people to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, but I'm way too lazy. I never realised that my colleagues were ripe for conversion. I think I'll take this up as a money-spinner they are sinners.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Can I join?

How much does it cost?

Can I have a Tin Foil hat along with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Hail Caesar!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Thank you, followers. My religion costs only a third of your income to join. Please submit all Revenue documents for inspection by PM.

(I'm not splitting the 70K though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

Christ on a bike !!! 70,000 yo yo's for that!. The Country has gone mad, mad I tells ye :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I actually hear more about the oh so original "flying spaghetti monster" from atheists than I do about god/allah/whatever other gods exist from the people who believe in them.

Imo the people who constantly gossip/bitch about people/discuss their facebook activity at work are a lot more deserving of the sack than someone who feels its their duty to spread the word of their god.

Not that he deserved the money or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

First the irony of ironies JC giving out about religion when his was deified.

Second, the irony of ironies about the PC Brigade(TM pending) complaining about the equality authority. Whose aim is to protect and expand on the sacred tenants of diversity and inclusion based on the 9 areas which the core statutory act defines as discrimination. This includes religion. However given the shifting and morphing nature of what constitutes rights (beyond it being something that the Government must ensure you have to have regardless of how impacts anyone else) the PC-ists are being confronted with the spectre of what had been been a fairly harmonious workplace environment in this country now in thrall to the PC-ists of every type and fear of giving offence and failing to follow the whatever is the current trending right is grounds for calling in their enforcers in the equality authority.
    So, the OP is a prophet in one sense where thanks to the progressives the business profits will be a thing of the past, dealing with all such claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

This evangelical born-again Christian is awarded €70,000 for being fired after preaching to all and sundry at work, despite repeated disciplinary proceedings.

My religion require me to blaspheme at all opportunities, and I can't get arrested even though the 2009 law prohibits it.

My religion also tells me I should convert people to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, but I'm way too lazy. I never realised that my colleagues were ripe for conversion. I think I'll take this up as a money-spinner they are sinners.

Praise be His Noodly Appendage! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

What about the Death God cthulhu ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Thank you, followers. My religion costs only a third of your income to join. Please submit all Revenue documents for inspection by PM.

(I'm not splitting the 70K though)
    I think I shall also set up my own religion. The income from that should cover the costs of joining yours. We could get quite a prosperous pyramid scheme going here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

Manach wrote: »
    First the irony of ironies JC giving out about religion when his was deified.

Second, the irony of ironies about the PC Brigade(TM pending) complaining about the equality authority. Whose aim is to protect and expand on the sacred tenants of diversity and inclusion based on the 9 areas which the core statutory act defines as discrimination. This includes religion. However given the shifting and morphing nature of what constitutes rights (beyond it being something that the Government must ensure you have to have regardless of how impacts anyone else) the PC-ists are being confronted with the spectre of what had been been a fairly harmonious workplace environment in this country now in thrall to the PC-ists of every type and fear of giving offence and failing to follow the whatever is the current trending right is grounds for calling in their enforcers in the equality authority.
    So, the OP is a prophet in one sense where thanks to the progressives the business profits will be a thing of the past, dealing with all such claims.

I'd say your keyboard will need some cleaning after that post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

70k is a massive payout, but it's only a year and a half salary. In fairness, he won't have much luck getting a similarly paid job after this or any job really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I'd say that guy was a blast to work with alright...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

Does that mean if I was Muslim, and decided to stone my adulterous colleagues to death, I could be awarded a significant sum (under European law) if my employer decided to sack me for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Easy money for barristers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭tritium

70k is a massive payout, but it's only a year and a half salary. In fairness, he won't have much luck getting a similarly paid job after this or any job really.

Doesn't mean he should be compensated for throwing away the job he had though. Genuinely hope they appeal and win as frankly its a bonkers ruling

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Tasden wrote: »
    I actually hear more about the oh so original "flying spaghetti monster" from atheists than I do about god/allah/whatever other gods exist from the people who believe in them..

That's because the majority of society recognises the validity of the belief in one but not the other.

Why would people have to campaign for belief in God or Allah to be recognised as a cultural norm, it already is? We demand equality, because we don't have it. We demand that the one true deity - the flying spaghetti monster is recognised by society and the courts. Religious equality for all or religious equality for none!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

The indignant blasphemy of the nescient unfaithful could be considered a religion in itself, given the superficial succour it provides them; but it must be obvious even to those benighted slaves-to-echoes that it is the religion of despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

This absolutely infuriates me.

So basically you're allowed to do something as long as you tell people it's your belief.

You can agitate people and push superstitious stories down their throat all day long in a workplace and no one can ask you to stop. Because you personally believe that you shouldn't have to stop.

Absolutely crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭tritium

catallus wrote: »
    The indignant blasphemy of the nescient unfaithful could be considered a religion in itself, given the superficial succour it provides them; but it must be obvious even to those benighted slaves-to-echoes that it is the religion of despair.

Say what now?

You heard me! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Sacraficial offerings of small and large farm animals coming to a canteen near you! :D

(My gods demand it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Sacraficial offerings of small and large farm animals coming to a canteen near you! :D

(My gods demand it.)

I suspect someone in my workplace canteen is already at that judging by the state of the fare on offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I'm actually amazed by this. Someone actually managed to get fired from the public service.

I disagree. Why would any sort of acknowledgement that your entire existence may indeed be pointless give you comfort, it generally gives the opposite? I've certainly never been comforted by my atheism to any great degree.

I don't think you needed to preface your description of atheists with the word nescient either, since it applies to every human who has ever lived and likely every that will ever live, and probably exists to a greater degree among their "faithful" brethren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Spoonman75

Most people go to work and then go home with minimum fuss. No drama or emotional theatrics. But this guy continually talked about a subject that clearly made them uncomfortable. He was given a warning not to annoy people but didn't do it.

His argument was it's his faith. Believe what you want. Fine.

But a lot of people now don't believe in bronze age mythology and look to other things like Science for truth.

The thing that annoys me about all this is not that he got 70 K for losing his job but because the law deemed it unfair. If someone started evangelizing to me at work I'd be pretty short with him. "Sorry bud, I'm here to do a job and go home. If you want to talk about fairytales take it up with somebody else"

But if he continued to try and change my mind over a period of occasions and I repeatedly asked him to stop, and he didn't that's not OK. A textbook case of harassment at work.

There's not enough info in the IT article to give me an honest opinion but the court ruled that he wasn't making people uncomfortable or harassing them.

I disagree. I've certainly never been comforted by my atheism to any great degree.

I don't think you needed to preface your description of atheists with the word nescient either, since it applies to every human who has ever lived and likely every that will ever live, and probably exists to a greater degree among their "faithful" brethren.

The heart can't shield the mind when all the blood floweth back upon itself.

Wilful nescience is worse than natural.

Wilful nescience is worse than natural.

You imply that there's a choice - there's not. The only 2 types of ignorance existing here are acknowledged and unacknowledged.

You imply that there's a choice - there's not. The only 2 types of ignorance existing here are acknowledged and unacknowledged.

There is always a choice; either accept humility in the face of the mystery of existence, or let vanity prevail.

Which can one choose, and remain human?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

There is always a choice; either accept humility in the face of the mystery of existence, or let vanity prevail.

That's a bit daft

Should someone bow down in front of their new ipad because its workings are a mystery to them ?

Even if it was proven to be real why would you look up to " a sexist, racist, murderous c*** " who seem " undiverted by the starving masses "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I'm actually amazed by this. Someone actually managed to get fired from the public service.

That's the real news story here.

Advertisement