Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Poet, Activist, Parkinson's sufferer and Granny (80), likes her porridge.

• 09-07-2014 5:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

She's back inside.

From Galway Bay FM

Galway Peace activist Margaretta D’Arcy has been returned to Limerick prison for failing to sign a bond to stay away from restricted parts of Shannon airport.

The 80 year old presented herself for arrest to Gardai at Mill Street Garda Station in the city earlier – on foot of a court warrant.

She was wearing an orange jumpsuit – and accompanied by supporters.

Margaretta D’Arcy has already served 9 weeks of a 3 month prison term for an illegal incursion of the runway at Shannon.

Hopefully they'll just release her quietly this evening and give her a lift home.

It's the last thing she would want.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Fair fcuks to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Age should be no inhibitor to justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Think its time for an extraordinary rendition for this troublemaker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Ah fcuk, I knew it wouldn't be long before those that support the mad old bint came on here AGAIN with the hand wringing and sickening support for her. She's a pain in the arse, leave her to it in prison, still I suppose she is on borrowed time and she hasn't got many more opportunities left for attention whoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Poet my arse! Attention-seeking shrew that writes dogrel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Bad timing, in PR terms.

A hunger-striking orange-jumpsuit wearing Granny-poet cannot compete with gay cake, Garth Brooks and tonight's Argentina vs Netherlands.

And she's three years younger than Rolf Harris....zzzzzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Prisoners should not be allowed TVs and DVD player just so they can watch old BBC sitcoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

A stint in Prisoner Cell Block H will change her mind about enjoying prison.

Or Oz....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

What are they still protesting ? I thought the problem flight if any stopped in early 2000s ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Send her to Guantanamo. That'd learn her. Send the Hobbit and his wife too, if either objects.

• Silly moo.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

I hate this one! Such a pain in the arse! I'd hate to be stuck in a cell with her! More than likely crying about Gaza now! All them Palestinians are just sour because Israel have the better rockets that actually do damage!

We should probably take bets on how long it will be before our 'first lady' Mrs D is down to visit and support her at tax payer expense, but not officially of course, oh no, I'm sure that will be another 'personal visit to an old friend'. I read about her comments to the judge at her last appearance at Ennis courts a few weeks ago. The judge told her she'd be back in prison if she didn't abide by his judgement and she said 'it'll have to wait until after my chemo'. Sanctimonius bitch had it coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Age should be no inhibitor to justice.

A troublesome two-year-old?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The last organised rally for her here in Galway attracted just enough people to spell her name out with a placard for each letter of her name. There were larger queues at the taxi rank.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

• Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Leave the ould fool in there this time.

Another sad and pathetic publicity stunt by a woman who seems to thrive on attention. The best thing they could do is release her and then ignore all her attention grabbing crap. That or just throw her into a cell and leave her there to rot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I wonder if she draws down the cnuas from Aosdana?

And if so why doesn't she hand it all back in protest at the same government who pays it out allowing Shannon to be used.......:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

Wow. What a bunch of wallys you are! At least one person,a sick and aged woman, will stand up against the use of Irish air fields for the purposes of extraordinary rendition, which in case you wallys don't know means that often quite ordinary people are lifted off their home streets, bundled onto planes and taken to places where the use of torture is legitimate, and all you can wrap your heads around is some denigration of that protester. What did any of you ever do in your lives that was purposeful, meaningful? I mean one fecking good thing? One thing that might make you something more than the rattling barrel you are? Wise up. Who will speak for you when they come for you, eh? When you finally decide that one thing that is your line in the sand, how many internet gob****es do you think will be on standby to throw stones at you?

I wonder how long before her supporters are in here telling us that "the people of Galway are behind her" even though the last few protests at her imprisonment had no more than a handful of people at each.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Wow. What a bunch of wallys you are! At least one person,a sick and aged woman, will stand up against the use of Irish air fields for the purposes of extraordinary rendition, which in case you wallys don't know means that often quite ordinary people are lifted off their home streets, bundled onto planes and taken to places where the use of torture is legitimate, and all you can wrap your heads around is some denigration of that protester. What did any of you ever do in your lives that was purposeful, meaningful? I mean one fecking good thing? One thing that might make you something more than the rattling barrel you are? Wise up. Who will speak for you when they come for you, eh? When you finally decide that one thing that is your line in the sand, how many internet gob****es do you think will be on standby to throw stones at you?

They wont come for me because I'm not trying to destroy our way of life in our hard earned western civilisation why is my hard earned tax money going to support this freeloading ignoramus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Again did the rendition flight either never happen or stopped like in 2002 ? Whats the current protest about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Glorified protester wasting peoples time. I really despise those professional protester types! Free the POWs one week then the next week its all about the water meters. ****ing idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

She has made her protest as is her right - and a right I would happily and energetically defend. she has brought attention to the issue.

But

She is in prison and remains there despite it being wholly within her power to have herself released. Being asked to sign the bond is not an unreasonable request - she has chosen her path and now expects the law of the land (which actually protects us from arbitrary arrest and detention) to be set aside. Why should it?

She can avail of the full facility of the legal and judicial process.

If she feels she has such a compelling case, and she enjoys popular support, then she can put herself forward for election, as previous individuals have done to highlight the merits of their protest.

I wonder why she doesn't?

Go sell crazy somewhere else we don't need any here.

• Wow. What a bunch of wallys you are! At least one person,a sick and aged woman, will stand up against the use of Irish air fields for the purposes of extraordinary rendition, which in case you wallys don't know means that often quite ordinary people are lifted off their home streets, bundled onto planes and taken to places where the use of torture is legitimate, and all you can wrap your heads around is some denigration of that protester. What did any of you ever do in your lives that was purposeful, meaningful? I mean one fecking good thing? One thing that might make you something more than the rattling barrel you are? Wise up. Who will speak for you when they come for you, eh? When you finally decide that one thing that is your line in the sand, how many internet gob****es do you think will be on standby to throw stones at you?

I've done plenty good with my life, but I don't feel the need to inflict my good causes on others!
    This person actively seeks controversy and gets kicks out of wasting police time and taxpayers money.
    I doubt anyone will come for me, as I live within the law in a civilised society. Anyway, orange jumpsuits wouldn't be my thing. Neither the garment nor the colour!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

Jawgap wrote: »
    She has made her protest as is her right - and a right I would happily and energetically defend. she has brought attention to the issue.

But

She is in prison and remains there despite it being wholly within her power to have herself released. Being asked to sign the bond is not an unreasonable request - she has chosen her path and now expects the law of the land (which actually protects us from arbitrary arrest and detention) to be set aside. Why should it?

She can avail of the full facility of the legal and judicial process.

If she feels she has such a compelling case, and she enjoys popular support, then she can put herself forward for election, as previous individuals have done to highlight the merits of their protest.

I wonder why she doesn't?

Thank you for your reasonable response.

I would counter by saying why should she sign a bond to stay away from the site of her protest at Shannon, since this would totally undermine the whole thrust of her protest. The law and courts are not always reasonable, and can be used to stymie protest. Plus once-off protest has little effect...most campaigns have to be sustained and prolonged in order to reach the mass of people who to be honest hardly give a moments thought past what goes into their belly, where they sleep, who they get jiggy with and whats on the telly.

I think she is entitled to protest, entitled to bring the grave state of extraordinary rendition to our consciousness again and again, and this lark about tax payers money....people should wise up about what their tax payers money is spent on, bun fights in the dail, expenses for well clad ''politicians'', and propping up the EU banks at the expense of our being financially enslaved for generations to come. Why do people worry about their tax euros going to the upkeep of Ms D'Arcy and not to the upkeep of the bondholders and bankers who live lives of often obscene wealth...
    anyways..sigh..

Advertisement