Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

livingsocial.com

• 21-09-2011 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

Was just wondering have many people used livingsocial.com and what their thoughts are.Also do people realise its based in the US.Had to contact them with a problem with a purchase and got no satifaction.Any thoughts,thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not a Galway issue. Not sure where fits so moved to BA.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

And relayed it to Online Buying & Auctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

I've purchased 3 deals via livingsocial. Only issue I had was 1 deal got cancelled and I had to call to get my money back - however the call was relatively painless and the refund was fairly prompt. The also have a company registered on Barrow St, Dublin, Ireland (LivingSocial Europe Ltd). A quick google also indicates they continue to hire for reps to bring them the next deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

Deal was for the galway oyster festival and they cancelled it a day after confirming it.We are now stuck with accommodation and travel costs and the event is sold out?Any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I can't advice on how to sort that out but if you're coming over anyway check out www.thelatinquarter.ie

There's another thing running at the same time
    TLQ_GL_WEB_466x295-v02.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks but problem is there are 7 of us and they only cancelled 4 of the tickets.Now the event is sold out.I live in town but 4 are travelling from elseswhere.Latin quarter thing looks ok too although I usually end up in the Roisin anyway so I am biased

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stantheman8

I've made a few purchases from Living Social over the past couple of months.

However, I am only starting to use the vouchers now and have started to experience problems - I've contacted Living Social both via email and the help form on their site.

I've tried 3 times now (first of which was 10 days ago) but haven't heard anything back.

My experience has been that the quality of service has been "adapted" (read lowered) to align with the reduced price paid.

For example, I purchased a massage deal that was supposed to be an hour, but the massage itself only lasted for 25mins
    ...I was left lying on the table to "get comfortable / relax" for another 20mins! :mad:
    I paid for a massage, not to lie on a table for 20mins - I don't need a Living Social voucher to do that at home.

Won't be buying any more "bargains" from Living Social.

I've made a few purchases from Living Social over the past couple of months.

However, I am only starting to use the vouchers now and have started to experience problems - I've contacted Living Social both via email and the help form on their site.

I've tried 3 times now (first of which was 10 days ago) but haven't heard anything back.

My experience has been that the quality of service has been "adapted" (read lowered) to align with the reduced price paid.

For example, I purchased a massage deal that was supposed to be an hour, but the massage itself only lasted for 25mins
    ...I was left lying on the table to "get comfortable / relax" for another 20mins! :mad:
    I paid for a massage, not to lie on a table for 20mins - I don't need a Living Social voucher to do that at home.

Won't be buying any more "bargains" from Living Social.
    Very same here no customer service,dublin no a scam,keeps replaying the same voice recording.People please beware of these SCAMS

Update on my previous post re Living Social issues:
    I emailed them on the day of my poor experience with their deal.
    Didn't hear anything back after a week so resent email.
    Still nothing.
    Copied email into help form on website.
    2 days later I received a mail to say I would be refunded.
    I received the refund earlier this week.

I think you just need to be very choosy in which deals you pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shahkanwal

oh belive me living social is a disgrace

email 5 times and rang 20 times no reply ever

shut down company like this

disgraceful thiefs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Can you elaborate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Healeagh

Living social have taken no steps to see that their merchants get paid during the Ulster Bank system failure. They have the money that people have paid for their deals but the businesses that are partners in the deals have not received payment. Living Social are saying it has nothing to do with them. A company that takes this attitude is not to be trusted and i would suggest anyone considering purchasing a deal or offering a deal think twice. I would not recommend them. In fact I would not even consider them.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭chopsey

Update on my previous post re Living Social issues:
    I emailed them on the day of my poor experience with their deal.
    Didn't hear anything back after a week so resent email.
    Still nothing.
    Copied email into help form on website.
    2 days later I received a mail to say I would be refunded.
    I received the refund earlier this week.

I think you just need to be very choosy in which deals you pick.

A massage with a happy ending? sounds like a good deal to me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EORGalway

Hi all
    I've been trying to contact living social since the 2nd July via e-mail, calls and messages. No response yet. The voucher I purchased is not available in the manner advertised and I expect a refund.
    I read some of the posts above and have had similar experiences, massages that should have been an hour lasted half the time and so on.
    I won't be using Living Social again - but want my refund.
    It's very frustrating when a company ignores the customer, that will be their downfall.
    I plan to notify all my friends via e-mail and facebook about the lack of customer service and ask them to share the information with their friends. Hopefully this will make some folk think before using living social.
    E :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Anybody else trying to get through to living social today? The office seems to be closed which is worrying. I have tried the UK and ROI numbers. The telephone message states please call between office hours, which I have been doing.

ian_m wrote: »
    Anybody else trying to get through to living social today? The office seems to be closed which is worrying. I have tried the UK and ROI numbers. The telephone message states please call between office hours, which I have been doing.

Public holiday in the UK today

Got through to them today. My wife bought a voucher for me. In order to use the voucher I had to book an appointment with the third party. I called the third party numerous times but they failed to call me back.

I brought this matter to the attention of livingsocial three weeks ago and they said an investigation was already currently pending. The voucher has since expired and the third party still has not contacted me back.

I called livingsocial again and they said the matter was still with their investigation department. I highlighted the fact that the voucher has since expired and I asked them for a refund but they refused. They said they cannot issue a refund until the investigation is closed. I then asked how long the investigation would take and they said they also could not confirm that to me.

I cannot express how unhappy I am with them. We should be entitled to a complete refund and should not have to wait one day longer. The deal has not been honored and it has gone beyond the date where the deal was to be used. How unfair to ask a customer to keep waiting like that.

My wife an I are utterly dissapointed with the way they have dealt with the situation. We won't purchase anything from livingsocial again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

How long before the voucher was due to expire did you try to book an appointment?

How long before the voucher was due to expire did you try to book an appointment?

5 or 6 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Melendez wrote: »

No. The expiry date is the date the voucher expires. You should be giving the company reasonable notice if you want to book an appointment, leaving it to the last few days is not reasonable notice. You have the voucher, in most cases, for 6 months and living social send out a reminder email 4 or 5 weeks before the voucher expires so that people remember they have the thing.

These are still businesses they have other customers to accommodate as well, just because you have a pre-paid voucher which you have had more than enough time to use, leaving it until the last few days isn't really acceptable and if you're left without and appointment in that time, you've only yourself to blame really. Take into account how many of the other voucher holders will also leave it to the last minute, the merchant could be booked up with voucher holders in the last week. They are not obliged to take appointments that can not be fulfilled by the voucher expiry date. No reason whatsoever why they should be taking bookings on the exipry date. People know damn well that they have to use it before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

Melendez wrote: »

But if you leave it to 2 days before the expiry date to try and book an appoinment you have to expect that you may not be able to book an appointment before the expiry date is up. Most businesses will accommodate after the expiry date but they are not obliged to. You can't expect to be able to ring a company on the day the voucher expires and get an appointment. The vouchers specify that you must book in advance, I'd never ring somewhere expecting an appointment the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stringvest

I have had and am still having a dreadful experience with Living Social. I purchased a voucher on 3rd August for window cleaning, made numerous attempts to cpntact the company, O'Reillys Cleaning Services, and every call went to answering machine, but no one called back. They are not available via website or in Golden Pages. Had to contact LS twice before getting a reply that OReillys had been contacted and err now 'waiting' to take my call. This was last Friday the 31st. Same answering machine same lack of call back. Contacted LS again, this time asking for a refund due to lack of provision of service paid for. They replied saying refunds were only given up to 7 days after voucher was purchased...then asked me to give the company more time??? So I contacted the National Consumer Agency and they advised me to write official complaint letters to both LS and OReillys citing breach of contact and asking for a refund. As theres no available address for OReillys, I have just contacted LS again (joe in consumer services).
    I think they play a' fobbing you off 'game, hoping you'll get fed up and go away. They're happy to take your money straight away but if you have a complaint, they are not expedient in the least at dealing with you. When I consider the amount of time and money I've spent making calls/ leaving messages/ emailing since August, it's not worth it for the refund. Now it's on principle!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 FY

Hi,

Did anyone purchase the Whetstone €50 Cut & Colour deal from todaysdeals.ie about 2-3 months ago? Would be interested to hear how you interpreted the offer. I thought it was very misleading as it was essentially offering €50 off the cost of a cut & colour service rather than a cut & colour worth €50. It did not state €50 'off' or 'towards' or 'to spend on' anywhere in the deal info, including the title & fine print. I had to pay an additional whopping €150 at the salon before leaving...needless to say I got quite a shock!

Would be interested to hear other ppl's feedback, especially from anyone else who purchased this deal.

FY.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Interesting reading all the complaints about this company. I've seen this from both sides.

For the first time in my life I bought a discount voucher this year, having always believed if its too good to be true, it probably is. AND boy has that been proven right!

I bought a voucher from Living Social for SD cards from a company Gadgets and Products UK and ordered x2 while I was at it. Great deal 32G card for €17 or something like that (+PP from UK).

I left it for a couple of weeks, ordered the cards and gave another couple of weeks grace, I know a little about what its like with online purchases and stock in and out etc so didnt make a fuss.

About 3 weeks after my order with Gadgets and Products there sent me one of their own in house emails thanking me for recent purchase and heres more deals etc. I fired back and email saying thanks, no thanks and by the way where's my initial order?

Received an email apologising for the delay, the supplier sent the dispatch to the wrong address and working to rectify the issue, should be sorted next week.

Since then, no response from the UK company to email, the phone number is not valid and I've logged a complaint with Living Social about the performance of the company. Still waiting to hear back about it.

Now for the other side, I've had Living Social in here trying to sign me up to offer a deal. It took a while but drilling down the offer and reading through all the legal contract it was tricky to get the bottom line. Anyway saleman and company owner were in giving the whole pitch. And I can pretty much guarantee you are best of buddies, in it together, growing symbiotically right up until the point at which your money hits their bank account and then you and your customers can swing for it.

Avoid and unsubscribe from all such deals until you can resist temptation. if you want a deal from a business, just call in yourself and have a chat. We're human and want your business too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stringvest

Interesting reading all the complaints about this company. I've seen this from both sides.

For the first time in my life I bought a discount voucher this year, having always believed if its too good to be true, it probably is. AND boy has that been proven right!

I bought a voucher from Living Social for SD cards from a company Gadgets and Products UK and ordered x2 while I was at it. Great deal 32G card for €17 or something like that (+PP from UK).

I left it for a couple of weeks, ordered the cards and gave another couple of weeks grace, I know a little about what its like with online purchases and stock in and out etc so didnt make a fuss.

About 3 weeks after my order with Gadgets and Products there sent me one of their own in house emails thanking me for recent purchase and heres more deals etc. I fired back and email saying thanks, no thanks and by the way where's my initial order?

Received an email apologising for the delay, the supplier sent the dispatch to the wrong address and working to rectify the issue, should be sorted next week.

Since then, no response from the UK company to email, the phone number is not valid and I've logged a complaint with Living Social about the performance of the company. Still waiting to hear back about it.

Now for the other side, I've had Living Social in here trying to sign me up to offer a deal. It took a while but drilling down the offer and reading through all the legal contract it was tricky to get the bottom line. Anyway saleman and company owner were in giving the whole pitch. And I can pretty much guarantee you are best of buddies, in it together, growing symbiotically right up until the point at which your money hits their bank account and then you and your customers can swing for it.

Avoid and unsubscribe from all such deals until you can resist temptation. if you want a deal from a business, just call in yourself and have a chat. We're human and want your business too.

How refreshing to read your post, speaking from the other side of the experience. You know, I'd never think of ringing a business and asking for a deal directly, but it's nice to hear company owners are open to this, I would much prefer this option, cutting out these dodgy deal merchants altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Kristian Greasy Memoir

On a positive note, I've bought deals from a number of different sites and never had an issue in getting the deal I paid for.

But I would second the other poster in saying give them a ring to get the same price. Its something I should do more than i do.
    It just doesn't pay a company to do the deals.
    I got my car valeted yesterday at my house for €45 when it normally costs €99.
    They got 50% of the fee and it took 2 men 2 hours to do it. A total of 4 man hours plus fuel, insurance etc. He got 145 of these sold.
    They did do a great job though:D

On a positive note, I've bought deals from a number of different sites and never had an issue in getting the deal I paid for.

But I would second the other poster in saying give them a ring to get the same price. Its something I should do more than i do.
    It just doesn't pay a company to do the deals.
    I got my car valeted yesterday at my house for €45 when it normally costs €99.
    They got 50% of the fee and it took 2 men 2 hours to do it. A total of 4 man hours plus fuel, insurance etc. He got 145 of these sold.
    They did do a great job though:D

Just to highlight this. As a business we were being encouraged to provide a €30 for €15 voucher, so consumer pays €15 and gets €30 voucher to use in store.

The actual cost to us as a business for you to redeem this would have been €22.50. The fees are 50% of the deal price!!

The guys doing the valetting were most definitely doing this deal at a loss regardless of how many were sold. I wonder how much return custom they will receive from this at their normal retail price? Will the extra 145 customers pay ful price next time or will the guys have to incentivise these customers to return again?

• Advertisement

In fairness to Living Social. I flagged the issue I had with this merchant last week, I received a standard reply suggesting I contact the merchant to resolve the problem.

When I pointed out that Gadgets & Products Ltd were non contactable and that I felt Living Social were partly responsible by offering a conduit service to this merchant, they very quickly have offered to issue an order cancellation & provide a full refund.

No SD cards, but hopefully I get my money back.

Advertisement