Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner DJs Guide to DJ Equipment

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

G.P wrote: »
    Thanks CyberWaste

I'm ready to pull the trigger on the S4 (my first DJ set up)

Where's the best place to buy it, eBay?
    You talked a bit about what laptops are best to use with it. If I didn't want to get a mac, what will do the job or what should I look out for?

Thanks

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_kontrol+s4/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 G.P

What's the difference between the S4 and the pro scratch 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

G.P wrote: »
    What's the difference between the S4 and the pro scratch 2?

You should have a look at the Native Instruments website but in brief...

The S4 is a piece of hardware. It is a box with buttons and faders to control and mix music that you have on your laptop. You get the S4, and a disc so that you can put the special Traktor software on you laptop that runs in conjunction with the S4.
    It's an all in one DJ solution. With this and your laptop you are good to go. There is also an S2 which is a smaller two channel version (as oppose to the S4 4-channel version.

Scratch pro 2 is what you buy if you already have a mixer, turntable or CD players but instead of playing your physical CDs or vinyl records, you want to play the mp3s or other music files on your computer. Really the website or youtube will give you an insight into how these things are usually hookup and are used.
    In the box you get special vinyl type records and special CDs. You also get a small soundcard/box that is kind of a middle-man box between your laptop/and the Traktor software you have installed form the disc also included, and the rest of your physical setup- the decks, mixer etc.

That's the basic idea but really, check the NI website and put the systems you want to check out into youtube. You can see everything from people unboxing these things, to setting them up, to playing and recording mixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gibzo

I am selling two axis four cd player and a dm2050 mixer all in great condition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Justin10

Been looking at getting a USB controller.

Been looking at the Numark Mixtrack Pro and the Vestax Typhoon
    Any suggestions? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭cityboyjim

What sort of power would you get with a 150watt amp going to two 400watt speakers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

cityboyjim wrote: »
    What sort of power would you get with a 150watt amp going to two 400watt speakers lads.
    What model amp and speakers are you talking about? Are the speakers 400w program or 400w rms? Is the amp 150 per channel at 4 or 8 ohms resistance? There are far too many variables to answer your question properly. Also the various speaker brands vary in sensitivity, a 400w speaker of a certain make and model could be alot louder than a 400w speaker made by another manufacturer, watts are a fairly meaningless way of measuring it.

Generally speaking however a 150w amp going into a 400w speaker is badly underpowered, asking for trouble, get a bigger amp or smaller speakers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

cityboyjim wrote: »

Take the advice given in the other thread. I suggested against getting that setup and going for powered speakers instead.

150watt amp with 400watt speakers is like trying to drive a nissan micra at 180 miles an hour. Your amp will blow, or your speakers will just not get enough power to do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Right so I'm looking at starting some bedroom DJ'ing. I've been messing around on laptop alone with programs and I just enjoy it too much. I've messed around with some of my mate's decks and its something I just need practice at to be honest.....So I'm in the market for a cheapish controller. While I have savings put aside for this, I'd prefer to spend nothing more than around 350-400 if possible. I would just like a single unit like the http://www.thomann.de/ie/native_instruments_traktor_kontrol_s2.htm.

Does anyone have any personal recommendations on what to look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 GregSlates

magicianz wrote: »
    Right so I'm looking at starting some bedroom DJ'ing. I've been messing around on laptop alone with programs and I just enjoy it too much. I've messed around with some of my mate's decks and its something I just need practice at to be honest.....So I'm in the market for a cheapish controller. While I have savings put aside for this, I'd prefer to spend nothing more than around 350-400 if possible. I would just like a single unit like the http://www.thomann.de/ie/native_instruments_traktor_kontrol_s2.htm.

Does anyone have any personal recommendations on what to look at?

Thing with buying off Thomann is you only get to look before you buy :(
    Try these guys, they have them on display so you can sample and get a feel for it all.
    http://aquariussound.ie/
    In the digital Dj section on the left of the page they have all the controllers and they are actually CHEAPER than thomann with everything and FREE delivery
    Good luck with it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 GregSlates

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Been looking at getting a USB controller.

Been looking at the Numark Mixtrack Pro and the Vestax Typhoon
    Any suggestions? Thanks

Numark Mixtrack Pro is a good little kit but no sound cards at that price, still they sound good, also nic at that price range is :
    http://aquariussound.ie/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=432&category_id=40&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

and also
    http://aquariussound.ie/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=413&category_id=99&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

Hi guys,

I'm selling 2 American Audio CDI 300 MP3 Players and a Gemini PS828x 4 - Channel Mixer

Perfect for begginers...

http://www.adverts.ie/mp3-and-cd-players/2-american-audio-cdi-300-mp3-and-gemini-ps828x/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

I would appreciate if someone could tell me if this site is legit or not, found an absolute steal if it is!

http://voseos.com/geminidjcdmp7000multidisccdplayer_p2119.html#show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

I would appreciate if someone could tell me if this site is legit or not, found an absolute steal if it is!

1. 99% Probably a Scam

2. Even if its legit, its not really a "steal" .. the Gemini Stuff has alot of features for the money, but reliability is close to Zero.

3. Factor in the shipping from China

4. Factor in you get a warrantied unit for under 500 euro from Amazon (legit).

I would consider their separate CDJ-700's for home use only, but putting all your eggs in one basket with an all-in-one unit ? .. dodgy dodgy.

Oh yeah .. and its probably a scam :p

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eoinzy123

Hey guys, was looking to get a usb dj controller for mixing at home and MAYBE mixing at a mates party the odd time. Budget of about €100 anyone got an idea?

Cheers

Eoinzy123 wrote: »
    Hey guys, was looking to get a usb dj controller for mixing at home and MAYBE mixing at a mates party the odd time. Budget of about €100 anyone got an idea?

Cheers

With that budget forget about buying new, all you'll get is plastic rubbish. You could get a used numark USB controller or if you are lucky a hercules rmx for €100. Best you can do unless you up the budget significantly.

The rmx would be my pick, steel chassis, built in sound card and a very reliable all around unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eoinzy123

mickeyk wrote: »
    With that budget forget about buying new, all you'll get is plastic rubbish. You could get a used numark USB controller or if you are lucky a hercules rmx for €100. Best you can do unless you up the budget significantly.

The rmx would be my pick, steel chassis, built in sound card and a very reliable all around unit.

I found a Hercules dj4 set for €100 on adverts, parts seem a bit sturdier too.

Eoinzy123 wrote: »

There is an rmx as well priced at 130 but looks like he'd take 105-110 or thereabouts. That is what I'd go for if you can stretch to that.

+1 on the RMX, its an absolute tank of a controller and oodles of inputs/outputs and a decent enough (and loud) sound card.

Ugh! The 4set is only 160 euro brand new from Thomann, so 100 is certainly not really a bargain being used and all. And it feels like cheap junk in comparison to the RMX which is built to feel like a proper DJ mixer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

I've been using a laptop and controller for the last year or so, it was my introduction to dj'ing and intended for testing the water and seeing if I actually was interested in the whole mixing thing.

Turns out, i'm into it like a tramp is into buckfast, and so am urgently seeking to upgrade to vinyl! It's high time I got my act together and learned the trade completely by ear, rather than surfing on waveforms and setting cue-points!

Yes, I know about 1210's, and believe me, I W-A-N-T them very much. But, paying 600 euro+ for a clean pair is just not an option while i'm a 'powered by the dole' student.

So, any vinyl heads had any experience with cheaper direct drive alternatives? Stanton, Numark, Vestax, Gemini etc...something that could be acquired second hand for anything up to 250-300 quid, or therabouts.

I'm into club stuff, techno and house mainly. Along the lines of the Boiler Room series and all that..

Again, I know about Technics, and their reputation. But at the moment, not an option!

Cheers :-)

• Advertisement

Occasionally you'll find deals on Vestax - PDT-2000's, PDT-4000's, PDT-5000's, A1, A1S, A2, turntables for around 350 on ebay (which are actually better than 1210's in numerous ways). I owned a pair of A2's for years and really regretted selling them.

In the "pro" dept thats what I reckon are definitely the best value for money.

If you can't afford to wait around till a pair crops up, search for gemini PT2000's they are decent enough and pretty much a 1:1 match for technics barring the build quality - they are really only any use for home usage though.

Occasionally the odd Technics will come up in Adverts for not-so-silly money, I bought a single one a few years back for 100 euro in PWO

Again depends if you are willing to wait for a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

If you're patient you can land a pair of Technics for @2-300. Bargain basement Technics deals are more likely to show up on Donedeal IMO. I got a pair last year for €220. They needed a bit of TLC, new RCA leads soldered in, new styli and a good clean but the fundamentals are grand. Owner had emigrated and his folks just wanted rid of them. They thought they were worth a bit more but I was probably helped by the fact that they had made a few typos in the ad which made them hard to search for, so the phone wasn't ringing off the hook :D
    Try some alternative spellings when you search DD is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Highcontrast1

I learnt on a pair of st 8s. Was a pro on them. Got my first gig, played on technics and it was a nightmare. For home mixing any turntable will do , but if you want to go pro - get technics. During my time as a DJ 1200s were club standard. Don't know about now though.
    save your cash for the technics that will last you a lifetime imo.

mickeyk wrote: »
    With that budget forget about buying new, all you'll get is plastic rubbish.

First bit of Dj gear I ever bought was a 100 euro Behringer BCD3000 controller, two years old now, faders are starting to go, knobs come off if you get too frisky with it and it's a bit(very) sticky but she has served me well at dozens of impromptu house sessions. I learned a hell of a lot with it..

Definitely plastic rubbish but reliable plastic rubbish. Built-in soundcard was worse than awful though, so I got a Traktor Audio 2 as well.

She'll be getting the boot soon when I finally take the plunge with a set of turny-tables, so I think a viking burial would be appropriate, set it on fire and lob it in the Shannon :)

Aaah, the good times we shared!

Thanks for the replies lads!

I always get the standard response whenever Technics are mentioned - don't buy anything else!

Well, I know I said earlier that they were completely out of my reach for now....BUT....

It seems that i've acquired funds in the form of an early Christmas present, so guess what i'm now in the market for?? :-D

There's a pair of mk2's in a cash converter place just down the road, they have 500 on them but they've been there for at least six months. I offered 400 a while back(just testing the water) and they said yes...I think I could possibly even knock another 50 off that price...

Realistically, 350 for the pair..No idea of condition, they work but i'm ignorant as to the in's and out's of 1210s....anything really obvious that I should be looking for, fault-wise?

Just the bare-bones, no mixer, dust-covers, cases, cartridges or stylus included.

Any opinions? I wouldn't complain if I could get them for 175 each..not bad at all.

Good deal

1. Check the Tonearm for Obvious Damage
    2. Check the Tonearm bearings - set the weight so the tonearm floats, turn anti skate to 0, flick it gently left and right and make sure its not getting stuck in one place.
    3. Check anti skate - with the weight balancing the tonearm turn the anti skate dial to 0 and if its still pulling towards the center the spring might be busted (easy fix).
    3. Check the Pitch is not jumping - set it to Zero and the dots look like they stop at the red light, move slightly out of this position and they should slowly start to increase / decrease in speed, make sure they aren't jumping.
    4. Check for obvious wear on the cables.
    5. See if they come with headshells and Carts
    6. Check the Popup Target Light
    7. Check the power switches are working
    8. Check stop/start is working
    9. Check 45/33 is working

For all the above there is fixes and spare parts available though so if the pitch is iffy factor in a few bob for a new pitch control + labour.

Busted Tonearms are probably the worst damage a technics thats actually spinning is likely to sustain and even then you "can" generally get them to a state they will probably play fine without shelling out alot of $.

If you can - bring a few vinyls, if they can left you plug them into the phono input of a stereo or mixer to test that the left/right channels are working all the better, but even then probably as easy as replacing the cables or new cart/stylus

Update

So, after getting the christmas shopping out of the way, I strolled up to cash encounters for a drool, and left with the MK2's for 300 quid. Had great fun carrying both halfway across town in the dark and freezing sleet, heavy beasts. I can't remember the last time I felt like I really got this much value for money, exceptionally well made yokes, tank-like in fact. Good deal, as far as I can tell..although I haven't mixed with them yet, need styli!

1. No obvious tonearm damage, except on one deck, where the whole thing had rotated clockwise slightly in its mount, so the whole arm was tilted to the right a bit, a gentle twist anti-clockwise and it was level again. But still, something to investigate further?

2. Tonearm bearings - both arms float nicely with no resistance at all, and always return to the extreme right with anti-skate at 0.

3. Check anti skate - No problems adjusting both arms with no float either way.

4. Check the Pitch is not jumping - Big dots on both platters are static at zero, and seem pretty smooth..

5. Check for obvious wear on the cables - all good here, power lead on one deck is only 6 inches long!(maybe they were permanently installed in cases or something?)

6. Head-shells and Carts - Came with KAM heads+Carts, with two styli(both needles completely knackered :))

7. Both popup target lights are not working

8. Power switches, stop/start and 45/33 all working...and feel lovely, nice and crisp..

Played one deck for an hour or so at a mates with his needle, no problems, no skipping, all seemed well..

I'm kind of wondering about the tonearm thing, because the height adjust on that deck seems to be seized too, can't adjust it for now anyway...no problem with the other one. Haven't played anything on it yet..

Many thanks for the input everyone, especially was.deevey, nice one for the checklist, really helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Nice result. Well wear.
    One other thing to check on the pitch adjustment; the quartz lock will turn on at 0% (green light comes on) and hold the speed at 33 or 45. Check when you move the pitch up or down that it doesn't have a second zero point, where the big dots stop moving again. If you do, that's the actual zero on the pitch slider. There's an adjustment on the pitch circuit board to correct it and plenty of vids on Youtube to talk you through it.

Many thanks for the input everyone, especially was.deevey, nice one for the checklist, really helped!

No Worries Mate, sounds like you got a hella deal! nice one.
    I'm kind of wondering about the tonearm thing, because the height adjust on that deck seems to be seized too, can't adjust it for now anyway...no problem with the other one. Haven't played anything on it yet..

Could be flight case damage or just given a knock at some point, might related to the height adjust although doubt it somehow if the bearings are alright (normally the first sign of flight case damage is the upper bearings)..

Most of the time if thats seized up its just a case of crud buildup being left in a single position over time, or someone had it screwed up/down so far its hit the end of the threads - a small amount of WD40 on these threads (really small amount!) and a throw a dishtowel around the height adjust ring to get a better grip might just do the trick to get her unlocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Highcontrast1

great deal. You can't go wrong with technics. Every part is replaceable. Nothing like vinyl crackle. Vinyl has this warmth in clubs - I don't know how to explain it!

Advertisement