Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Time to boycott Isaraeli products

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I've a few Israeli friends that work at companies on that list so wouldn't want to affect the security of their jobs. Think Israel is being heavy handed but has the right to protect itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

True, but I think that if for example (hypothetical so please indulge me) Ireland got attacked from the sea on all sides of the country I wouldn't feel too bad if in the process of self-defence we managed to extend our maritime waters as a way to protect ourselves from future attacks.

...feelings don't enter into it. And the land is populated.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

wes wrote: »
    What you don't know, seeing you deployed a variation of it yourself already. The Bin Laden defense, is when people invoke people voting for someone, as a justification of violence against civilians, like Osama did to justify the 9/11 attacks. There have been numerous variations on this deployed by supporters of Israel the last few days.

In what election did people vote for Osama Bin Laden?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

RobertKK wrote: »
    I give up. Tell us.
    Then can we get back to the discussion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

tell mommy to hold off on the cocoa in general, We don't want babba arthur weting his pants at any moment, seriously, grow up

Babba. Good one. Ha ha.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

I've a few Israeli friends that work at companies on that list so wouldn't want to affect the security of their jobs. Think Israel is being heavy handed but has the right to protect itself.

I assume if I pitch up in your house and throw you out, you will be just as obliging for my right to protect myself when you fight back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

dissed doc wrote: »
    I assume if I pitch up in your house and throw you out, you will be just as obliging for my right to protect myself when you fight back?

I guess if you dumb it down so far that the internet campaigners can understand it then it may sound a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I’d like to make a couple of points because some of you seem to be missing some pretty basic things.

First of all a Boycotting on purchasing countries products does not mean that you stop using products you have already purchased. What would be the point of that? The product has already been bought and paid for so stopping using it won’t cause damage to anyone but yourself. The idea is to stop buying new products until policy is changed.

Secondly to the people who are saying you can only boycott one countries product because of moral grounds if you are prepared to boycott all other countries that fail morally for the same / similar reasons. Each country / situation is different a boycott may be practical for one and not another. This does not mean that it should never be used and to suggest so is laughable. Why must there be one blanket way of dealing with every county that dose wrong? What is a practical way of putting pressure on one country would not necessarily work on another or be so detrimental as to be unpractical.

If you disagree with a boycott because you don’t think Israel disserve it that’s a completely different issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

European and American airlines have stopped flying into Israel.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/foreign/23-Jul-2014/us-european-swiss-airlines-halt-flights-to-israel-amid-instability

and Israel's billion-euro tourism industry has ground to a halt

http://www.iol.co.za/travel/world/middle-east/summer-tourism-dries-up-in-israel-1.1723663#.U89fUlYWhSU

to such an extent that New York ex-mayor Bloomberg is flying in with lots of publicity to prove how 'safe' it is

http://www.jpost.com/Operation-Protective-Edge/Former-New-York-mayor-Bloomberg-defies-FAA-ban-flies-to-Israel-on-El-Al-368562

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭smoking_kills

European and American airlines have stopped flying into Israel.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/foreign/23-Jul-2014/us-european-swiss-airlines-halt-flights-to-israel-amid-instability

and Israel's billion-euro tourism industry has ground to a halt

http://www.iol.co.za/travel/world/middle-east/summer-tourism-dries-up-in-israel-1.1723663#.U89fUlYWhSU

to such an extent that New York ex-mayor Bloomberg is flying in with lots of publicity to prove how 'safe' it is

http://www.jpost.com/Operation-Protective-Edge/Former-New-York-mayor-Bloomberg-defies-FAA-ban-flies-to-Israel-on-El-Al-368562

Because Hamas rockets landed close to the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I'll do my best at boycotting.it's a great peaceful way to protest the rogue Israeli regime

Doc wrote: »
    I’d like to make a couple of points because some of you seem to be missing some pretty basic things.

First of all a Boycotting on purchasing countries products does not mean that you stop using products you have already purchased. What would be the point of that? The product has already been bought and paid for so stopping using it won’t cause damage to anyone but yourself. The idea is to stop buying new products until policy is changed.

Secondly to the people who are saying you can only boycott one countries product because of moral grounds if you are prepared to boycott all other countries that fail morally for the same / similar reasons. Each country / situation is different a boycott may be practical for one and not another. This does not mean that it should never be used and to suggest so is laughable. Why must there be one blanket way of dealing with every county that dose wrong? What is a practical way of putting pressure on one country would not necessarily work on another or be so detrimental as to be unpractical.

If you disagree with a boycott because you don’t think Israel disserve it that’s a completely different issue.

I disagree with a boycott because I don’t think Israel deserves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I disagree with a boycott because I don’t think Israel deserves it.

Boycott is basically shunning. It is a peaceful way of showing a country, company or entity that their actions are unacceptable. If you don't think Israel's actions are unacceptable, you're absolutely free to avoid the boycott.

Boycott is basically shunning. It is a peaceful way of showing a country, company or entity that their actions are unacceptable. If you don't think Israel's actions are unacceptable, you're absolutely free to avoid the boycott.

Thank you for clarifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

RobertKK wrote: »

Yeah, I get that your taking the piss, but seriously do try harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

and they decide to protect themselves by blowing the fcuk out of a hospital, the second one in weeks.

Protect themselves from what exactly, injured children?

Thank you for clarifying.
    Care to clarify whether the IDF know what they are shooting at?
    I know I've asked this about 5 times now, but I'm sure you've had enough time at this stage to come up with an answer / lame deflection / yet another ad hominem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Care to clarify whether the IDF know what they are shooting at?
    I know I've asked this about 5 times now, but I'm sure you've had enough time at this stage to come up with an answer / lame deflection / yet another ad hominem.

They are shooting at terrorists and enemies of the state of Israel. Hamas won't be happy until every Israeli is dead so the IDF is justified in it's defence of the state.

They are shooting at terrorists and enemies of the state of Israel.
    Is that a yes or no?
    So they do know what they are shooting at when they shell beaches full of civilians and hospitals who are enemies of the state of Israel?
    OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Is that a yes or no?
    So they do know what they are shooting at when they shell beaches full of civilians and hospitals who are enemies of the state of Israel?
    OK.

I think the question you should be asking is :

Is it possible that, despite knowing what they are shooting at, it's conceivable sometimes they hit something they didn't intend to hit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The really depressing thing is that I can't see any realistic possibility of a resolution to this situation.

I've a feeling if we fast forward 100 years it'll still be ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Fully back Israel in this conflict...the day Hamas stop launching rockets is the day Israel will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The really depressing thing is that I can't see any realistic possibility of a resolution to this situation.

I've a feeling if we fast forward 100 years it'll still be ongoing.

Certainly seems that way, if there is a solution to this it certainly won't be a peaceful one achieved by boycotting Israeli products.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Is that a yes or no?
    OK.

Civvies have been caught in the crossfire of every war since the dawn of time the only difference now in the age of social media is that every single attack is covered in real time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Fully back Israel in this conflict...the day Hamas stop launching rockets is the day Israel will.

Ah yeah sure once they stop firing rockets israel will be more than happy to release them from their prison camp and everybody will go on their merry way.

Fully back Israel in this conflict...the day Hamas stop launching rockets is the day Israel will...
    ...stop annexing Palestinian land to make settlements?
    Nah.

wexie wrote: »
    I think the question you should be asking is :

Is it possible that, despite knowing what they are shooting at, it's conceivable sometimes they hit something they didn't intend to hit.
    They accidentally destroyed a hospital? They accidentally shelled a beach full of civilians?
    Not really much better than Hamas rockets then are they, these IDF surgical strikes?

...stop annexing Palestinian land to make settlements?
    Nah.

Which land? Gaza?

Which land? Gaza?
    If Hamas wasn't there, yes. Just like the West Bank puppet government acquiesces to.

• Advertisement

If Hamas wasn't there, yes. Just like the West Bank puppet government acquiesces to.

Well thats really neither here or there, the foundation of the state of Israel in 1948 required the confiscation of Palestine land, that is the crux of the issue that HAMAS will never get over and hence won't ever recognise Israel's legitmacy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement