Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oracle certified Java Associate any good?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

NeoSD5 wrote: »
    I am not sure if I can do this course in FAS in my area, Waterford, but i will check it. Is the course free? Is the only thing I have to pay is the actual exam?
    You can do it online. I'm doing it at the moment and would have no problem in recommending it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I am not sure if I can do this course in FAS in my area, Waterford, but i will check it. Is the course free? Is the only thing I have to pay is the actual exam?

They pay for the exam too, its all free. You do online and then schedule a test so should be no problem anywhere hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

I am thinking to do this Java course, and I cant forgive me if I fail it. Is it a good idea to buy a a practice test which cost 99$

http://www.selftestsoftware.com/certtestprep/practice-test/oracle/1z0-850.kap

Did anyone try this? What are the chances that I pass after doing this practicing?

you can get cheaper set of tests....99€ is a bit pricey.

I used whizlabs for the java 6 associate and programmer.Heres a link to the java 7 associate exams for 39€

http://www.whizlabs.com/ocajp/ocajp-7-mock-exam.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

also have a browse of the java ranch website for tips and recommendations for test software.The 2 authors of the exam post on the site too.

http://www.javaranch.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭NeoSD5

returnNull wrote: »
    you can get cheaper set of tests....99€ is a bit pricey.

I used whizlabs for the java 6 associate and programmer.Heres a link to the java 7 associate exams for 39€

http://www.whizlabs.com/ocajp/ocajp-7-mock-exam.html

that's nice, thanks for info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 jaylokk

Hi all. I know this is an old thread but I have a similar query so no need to start a new thread.

My background is as follows:
    Graduated with degree in computer science and software engineering back in 2011. The main focus was Java development.

I had a few interviews in 2011 for junior dev positions but couldn't get any. I didn't really have a great portfolio of development projects and this seemed to turn them off. I never was and still ain't a code junkie. My interest was purely for getting my degree.

So I moved into technical support with a large multi national based in Dublin. Have been at that for almost 3 years now. So zero years commercial programming experience.

I'm now considering the option of going into java dev for the obvious financial benefits and general career prospects of being a developer over a technical consultant.

So are the Oracle associates and professional certification really that beneficial?
    There are some opportunities in my current company for moving into dev but I think the salaries may not be as competitive as some of the smaller companies, from what I can see looking at various jobs sites etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭EamonnDunne

jaylokk wrote: »
    Hi all. I know this is an old thread but I have a similar query so no need to start a new thread.

My background is as follows:
    Graduated with degree in computer science and software engineering back in 2011. The main focus was Java development.

I had a few interviews in 2011 for junior dev positions but couldn't get any. I didn't really have a great portfolio of development projects and this seemed to turn them off. I never was and still ain't a code junkie. My interest was purely for getting my degree.

So I moved into technical support with a large multi national based in Dublin. Have been at that for almost 3 years now. So zero years commercial programming experience.

I'm now considering the option of going into java dev for the obvious financial benefits and general career prospects of being a developer over a technical consultant.

So are the Oracle associates and professional certification really that beneficial?
    There are some opportunities in my current company for moving into dev but I think the salaries may not be as competitive as some of the smaller companies, from what I can see looking at various jobs sites etc..

Considering you already have the degree, I think you could spend your time better, such as taking a small project from design to execution. Since you have previous Java experience, a few Android applications could work nicely. However it would be important that you follow through and actually get something finished and on to the store. A blog kept as a sort of diary of the process wouldn't hurt either.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭doubie

Those Oracle Certs are worth doing, and they do look good on your CV.

However, I wouldn't bother with the Associate one (unless you can do it for free). You should do the Programmer one instead, though it's harder.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You have to do both these days I think, they changed it and made the first one harder

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jaylokk

You have to do both these days I think, they changed it and made the first one harder

Yeah I think the associates cert is a prerequisite for the pro cert.

Thanks for the advice. I think both the certs and developing an android app will be good enough to get a junior dev position. Now to find the time!!

• Advertisement

They certainly will help. At the time of my interview they were so impressed by me even saying I was studying for those certs. i ended up not having to do it. Good luck! Also something like android is really fun and can keep you grounded when you are learning so much theory you are not using in practice, so great to do alongside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

nearly at the end of the fas course now, got the associate but my god there is some amount of theory in the programmer, sitting in the same classroom for a year doing nothing but java theory can really become taxing :D doing the exam tomorrow

Advertisement