Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

what other things cause cancer do you reckon?

• 26-08-2016 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭

we have all heard about the dangers of smoking and that it can give you cancer but I wonder how many other have ever pondered and thought about other things we ingest or are subjected to on a daily basis - do you reckon theres any truth in it?

heres my (crackpot maybe) take on it:

We spray deodorants and perfumes, shaving foam, soaps, make-up and moisturisers and god knows what else into our skins, and washing powders and softener that goes onto your clothes and then them chemicals seeping in through your skin as you wear them ... now what if all those chemicals seep in through your skin , then go in your blood stream - I dunno, I suppose (if our kidneys are working ok) we pee all the chemicals out and we are OK.

Then we ingest vegetables that have been sprayed with god knows what and eat processed (not natural) food on a regular basis most of us.

And thats without all the radio waves, mobile phone masts , overhead electricity powerlines etc and cars and other vehicles pumping out toxic fumes.

But I does sort of like makes you have another take on maybe why people who have never smoked at all in their lives get cancer doesnt it?

If there is truth in any of this or is there any way apart from living on a desert Ireland and not using any soaps or anything to try and avoid cancer?

I dont fret about it personally, but Im just saying it does make you think ..... dont you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I think you could join Kneemos for a twin thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

In general even water cause cancer. Avoid!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

failinis wrote: »
    I think you could join Kneemos for a twin thread.

sorry do no understand ...

twinsen wrote: »
    In general even water cause cancer. Avoid!!!

oh yeah i forgot water too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,338 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Just being alive in this day and age.

Cancer doesn't discriminate, if it wants you, it will get you, no matter how close you live your life to a saint. That's the sad truth.

Look through history at all of the diseases that plagued the world. This is our one and I can honestly say that I don't want to be around when the next one comes around. Because they only get worse.

• Advertisement

farts

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Personally i believe eating too much red meat is a trigger for cancer.

farts

and cow farts?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭buried

All the incidents here up in this timeline video probably haven't helped much

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Sun, alcohol, fumes of certain chemicals, exposure to radiation and certain viruses can cause cancer.

I think some things that increase your risk of getting cancer are obesity, lack of exercise, poor diet, aging and using sunbeds. There are concerns with using antiperspirants that contain aluminium on your skin but scientists aren't sure how much of the aluminium is absorbed.

My mother had cancer so ever since we she grows all our own veg and most of our fruit and refuses to use any sprays or pesticides. She also replaced all her beauty and hygiene products with more natural ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Cancer doesn't discriminate, if it wants you, it will get you, no matter how close you live your life to a saint. That's the sad truth.

Look through history at all of the diseases that plagued the world. This is our one and I can honestly say that I don't want to be around when the next one comes around. Because they only get worse.

That's not true at all. Something like 70% of cancers are avoidable and stem from lifestyle factors or choices.

Yes, there always been and always will be an element of chance and poor fortune, but for the vast majority of cases, it is attributable to what we're doing, eating, or not doing in terms of exercise.

The notion that Cancer is totally random and strikes the healthy as much as it does the unhealthy is myth.

That's when it comes to non-elderly people. Cancer is more prevelant in older people now too, because they're living longer. If people lived long enough, everyone would get cancer eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

cunelingus

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Savvy student

Don't forget Chem-trails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Everything.
    I think the only secret to a long life is be a bad bastard, and avoid men.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's going to be difficult to avoid oxygen, sunlight and genetics.

Basically we are now living long enough to get cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I'd imagine a big cause of cancer is consuming too many calories over the course of your life, whether you are overweight as a result or not. Calorie restriction in animals has been shown to be one of the few things definitely associated with a longer life and I would wager that this is due to it being the case that the more biochemical energy being processed by an organism, the more often cell reproduction occurs and the higher the rate of cancer. I've read accounts of medieval peasants eating vast amounts of bread each day and Irish peasants eating a stone of potatoes a day, but I would guess that their annual diet was balanced out by months of hunger; many of us nowadays, on the other hand, have a constant supply of calories, year in year out, which was definitely not the norm for most over human history.

I'd guess also that the percentage of our lifetimes we spend sitting down/being sedentary is on average much higher than for most of history, and that this is associated with cancers of the colon - I know that my gut feels sluggish if I sit around for too long, too many days in a row...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

Green vegetables apparently, wholemeal brown bread...and climbing MacGillycuddy's Reeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

There's a fella up the road who had cancer but got bitten by a fly with malaria in it and the malaria attacked the cancer and cured him.

There's a fella up the road who had cancer but got bitten by a fly with malaria in it and the malaria attacked the cancer and cured him.

you could be onto something if malaria cures cancer! :eek:

• Advertisement

dunno whether another myth - woman kept hitting/knocking her breast of something repeatidly over time and got breast cancer right in that spot at a later date - she never apparently ever smoked - might be the repeated injury in the same spot - could be something in it maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Life causes cancer, sure you can delay the inevitable by avoiding certain things, but then you're avoiding life. It's not like if you do everything the experts tell you you'll live forever. All that will happen is you'll get a few more years as an old haggard person.

The human machine isn't really supposed to be living as long as we do today. Wear and tear mounts up, if cancer doesn't get you something else will. So just enjoy yourself, don't worry about death it will come sooner or later, but it will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

The definitive guide to all causes of cancer: Daily Mail List of Things That Cause Cancer

... or the slightly more balanced version: The (New) Daily Mail Oncological Ontology Project which includes many things that can also cure cancer.

You can sleep easy in your bed now, knowing all that. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Brexit causes cancer.

Another thing worth noting is that the average adult's body was significantly smaller, with less matter composing their bodies, in the past. If the average man was 4 inches shorter than today (and they were probably more than that for a lot of history once the low-protein diets of agricultural history became the way people fed themselves) then a man with a then-average BMI of, say, 21 at 5 foot 7 in the past weighed 61 kg versus 82 kg for a man 4 inches taller living today with a now-average BMI of, 25.2 This means there is 21 kg more "body" on the average man in which cancer cells could potentially form.* Of course these are back of the envelope calculations but the rough idea holds I think.

* 71 inches, weight 82 kg, gives 50th percentile for 30 year old man on this BMI calculator : http://halls.md/body-mass-index/av.htm

Whether having less matter in ones body/ a smaller body leads to a significant reduction in the number of cells or just the size of the cells, I am not aware but if there were fewer cells, then there are less cells present in which cancer can begin.

mad muffin wrote: »
    cunelingus

is that an Irish Airline? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Another thing worth noting is that the average adult's body was significantly smaller, with less matter composing their bodies, in the past.
    That's certainly true. I went to a excavation of a roman town today in Alicante Spain (lucentum) and there were graves of the moors (who took over he village after the Romans) and the graves were tiny. They looked more like the graves of children than adults.

I don't know how much of a difference that would have made though. It would kind of mean giraffes are more prone to cancer than mice. Or vikings would have been more prone to cancer than Mediterranean people. I haven't heard any evidence either way though, there could be something to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Witches.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭picturehangup

I often wonder if the fallout from Chernobyl has anything to do with it.
    After all, nuclear and highly toxic substances were blown right across Euorpe, and has contaminated soil, from which we grow our veggies, and which we are consuming every day. Surely this has something to do with it?
    My husband developed cancer of the thyroid. Had two tumours, removed.
    He was an orchestral wind player. This week they were suggesting that there was a link between wind players and cancer, due to toxic substances gradually building up inside the instrument, which in turn could be causing a potential carcinogenic effect on the performer. I think there is something in it.
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Mickey H wrote: »
    Brexit causes cancer.

Maybe so. But; Neither Brexit, nor cancer can melt steel beams :cool:

Advertisement