Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

National Bowel Screening Programme - over 60's only?

Options
  • 19-04-2017 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭

Didnt know whether to post this in Health section or not, but I will post it here and see how it goes - if a moderator wants to move it into another correct section that will be grand too.

This here National Bowel Screening Programme for over 60's .. how did they come up with the figure of age 60's and over, and not lower the scheme to say 50's or even 40's? - is it because the statistics say that more people over 60 get bowel cancer? - or is it down to costs? (or rather saving costs?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It could be down to statistics or those most at risk from developing the condition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

This here National Bowel Screening Programme for over 60's .. how did they come up with the figure of age 60's and over, and not lower the scheme to say 50's or even 40's? - is it because the statistics say that more people over 60 get bowel cancer? - or is it down to costs? (or rather saving costs?)

I know from experience that say a close family member dies of bowel disease/cancer any immediate family with bowel problems will be screened from their 40's.
    My dad died from cancer that started in the bowel and I had digestive problems. At age 38 they said before you turn 45 we'll do a scope to see everything is ok.
    I was called in February to attend a week later but had to cancel because I was pregnant. I'll be called again in june. I was 43 in March.

The age group picked I'd say is to do with a higher risk group due to other health factors too, like maybe diabetes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Because the risk of Bowel cancer is greater after the age of 60.

And they have to start somewhere.

They will be extending the screening to those aged 55 - 74 over time.

You can still have the test done privately if you wish or if you are showing any symptoms at any age, you can be referred for testing. Symptoms and further information can be found here.

Advertisement