Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did everyone have a good time during rag week?

• 26-02-2012 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9 stayfoolish

Hello students of Carlow IT.

Did everyone have a good time during rag week? My answer to that question is NO. Why? Because of the following:

1. Drunk guy outside my door where he then collapsed. Had to call the Garda and ambulance service.
    2. Glass bottles outside my drive.
    3. Noise every night until 3am which kept me awake, I start work at 7am.

Because of this I am now moving out of Carlow.

I have no problem with students having fun, going out and have a night out but it has to be done in the correct and right way and not impacting on innocent people like me. I am NOT branding all Carlow IT students the same, I sure there are some very responsible students that go to Carlow IT and do not cause trouble but there are a small portion of students that have created a negative image of the college in my eyes.

Please only constructive comments only.

Regards,

S.F

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MonTheBiffy

Hello students of Carlow IT.

Did everyone have a good time during rag week? My answer to that question is NO. Why? Because of the following:

1. Drunk guy outside my door where he then collapsed. Had to call the Garda and ambulance service.
    2. Glass bottles outside my drive.
    3. Noise every night until 3am which kept me awake, I start work at 7am.

I have no problem with students having fun, going out and have a night out but it has to be done in the correct and right way and not impacting on innocent people like me. I am NOT branding all Carlow IT students the same, I sure there are some very responsible students that go to Carlow IT and do not cause trouble but there are a small portion of students that have created a negative image of the college in my eyes.

Please only constructive comments only.

Regards,

S.F

The I.T has brought huge amounts of money into the town. You have to take the good with the bad. God love ya if you're moving over a few noisy nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

To answer the question: yes, I had a fantastic week.

This is without:
    1. Passing out in someone's doorway (or anywhere at all, really.)
    2. Chucking or abandoning bottles wherever.
    3. Sleep. The weekends are for sleep. ;)

• I agree with both sides of the argument. the strength of the local economy owes alot to the presence of both the IT and St Pats....but......the anti social element also needs to be tackled big time. its getting out of control.

Some random lunatic decided he would put a dumbbell through our patio door (i kid you not). i was in the house on my own and my flatmates were gone out. totally mindless vandalism and completely unprovoked.

I seen many fights during the week which is saddening really. Society as a whole is going down the tube.

However i will also point out that while the majority of residents in Carlow are good decent people, there is a minority that leave their dog sh*t on the footpath around the college. Not belonging to small dogs either i can tell you. The residents should address that issue as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭will.in.cork

IsMiseLisa wrote: »
    To answer the question: yes, I had a fantastic week.

This is without:
    1. Passing out in someone's doorway (or anywhere at all, really.)
    2. Chucking or abandoning bottles wherever.
    3. Sleep. The weekends are for sleep. ;)

If you are a student, then it's funny how you mock the person that pays taxes that also pay for your education. Bring back fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

If you are a student, then it's funny how you mock the person that pays taxes that also pay for your education. Bring back fees.

Very presumptuous of you to decide that I have never worked or paid taxes ever.

And I don't see any mocking - just answering the given question. No harm in seeing two sides of the coin. To decide that every student ever is a waste of space is a tad ridiculous.

• Advertisement

• IsMiseLisa wrote: »
    Very presumptuous of you to decide that I have never worked or paid taxes ever.

And I don't see any mocking - just answering the given question. No harm in seeing two sides of the coin. To decide that every student ever is a waste of space is a tad ridiculous.

+1.

Sure obviously the majority of people are here to put the head down and work. otherwise there wouldnt be a conferring ceremony every year.

and if those wish to let off the bit of steam whenever possible then what harm. It's a minority of morons doing all the damage

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

LOL that's a bit drastic ,you could move 1km out the Athy road and never hear a thing.

The only problem I have with rag week is that it is a total waste of a college week , making the long trip to college for empty lectures everyday , they should just shut the college that week.

The government pay fees? So what did I just pay €2500 to the college for then?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Me and my friends got attacked during rag week. We were walking down the road eating hunky dorys and a wild old woman appeared! Saying we were drinking bottles on the street and when she felt like an idiot when she saw we were eating crisps. Then instead of just going back she gave out and blamed us for making noise. The noisiest thing that day was her feckin dog barking at us.

To answer OP's question though I did have a good rag week its just a shame some people try ruin it by branding all students with the one brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭kdogkeith

However i will also point out that while the majority of residents in Carlow are good decent people, there is a minority that leave their dog sh*t on the footpath around the college. Not belonging to small dogs either i can tell you. The residents should address that issue as well.

I walk 15 minutes every day to college and right from the moment i go out the door im trying to avoid stepping in dogs leavings, it is absolutely ridiculous how much there is. I have to keep my head down to watch where my feet are.

And yes i did enjoy RAG week but i was on anti biotics so no drinking for me which gave me a clear view of what was really going on, yes there was people drunk in the middle of the day and drinking in public but the majority of students were very responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 stayfoolish

Doff wrote: »
    Me and my friends got attacked during rag week. We were walking down the road eating hunky dorys and a wild old woman appeared! Saying we were drinking bottles on the street and when she felt like an idiot when she saw we were eating crisps. Then instead of just going back she gave out and blamed us for making noise. The noisiest thing that day was her feckin dog barking at us.

To answer OP's question though I did have a good rag week its just a shame some people try ruin it by branding all students with the one brush.

Firstly I did not brand "all students with the one brush" please read my post before you begin to make incorrect remarks.

I won't be moving out of Carlow. It was a over reaction to what happened that night. I was annoyed that someone had woken me and had decided to sleep in my doorway. i was concerned for the chap and called for help. He was bleeding quite heavy as he must have gotten into a fight or some sort.

I went to college and I enjoyed RAG week and it was great fun. My friends and I made noise and may have disturbed people all those years ago so I can't judge the Carlow I.T students. It only happens for a week and so far my stay in Carlow has been great! So to everyone that has replied on my thread I want to say that Carlow is a nice place with lots of great people.

I'm after calming down now and can see my comments may have been harsh. I didn't mean to offend anyone and hope all the students did enjoy their RAG week and I'm sure it raised many much needed funds for clarity if they were collecting (I'm not sure if they were, correct me here students).

Anyway - all the best in your college year - take care.

Stayfoolish.

No regrets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 blaser r93

I agree with both sides of the argument. the strength of the local economy owes alot to the presence of both the IT and St Pats....but......the anti social element also needs to be tackled big time. its getting out of control.

Some random lunatic decided he would put a dumbbell through our patio door (i kid you not). i was in the house on my own and my flatmates were gone out. totally mindless vandalism and completely unprovoked.

I seen many fights during the week which is saddening really. Society as a whole is going down the tube.

your dead right

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭patdshaker

I agree with both sides of the argument. the strength of the local economy owes alot to the presence of both the IT and St Pats....but......the anti social element also needs to be tackled big time. its getting out of control.

I'd like to ask you how many fights were the locals involved in?
    The biggest fight of the week was on the Thursday in the Potato Market all underage scumbags in tracksuits with Carlow accents

• patdshaker wrote: »
    I'd like to ask you how many fights were the locals involved in?
    The biggest fight of the week was on the Thursday in the Potato Market all underage scumbags in tracksuits with Carlow accents

I didnt see any of the tracky men fighting but god knows there is a bit of a presence of them around the town alrite. Im not from the town myself but i take your point. Adidas and Nike are well represented in Carlow (as in the case of most towns around ireland) :)
    i seen students fighting within the foundry complex on the monday night and it was pretty ugly. Now whether these are out of towners or students of one of the colleges i dunno

Advertisement