Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

crying heavily

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Kaching, anything in particular up? Feel free to rant, or pm if you'd prefer. Not great again tonight, but not as bad as last night at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Kaching wrote: »
    crying heavily

It's weird I often wish I could when I'm really but but somehow I seem to shut out my emotions, I end up wishing I could just have a good cry in the hope that'd make me feel better.

Hope you wake up tomorrow feeling that little bit better.
    Feel free to pm if you need a good rant or anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Not the best night I've ever had, truth be known. Oh dear. Still never mind. Know how to sort it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Just a bad two days really. Sleep is seriously messed up. Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Night_Shade

nesf wrote: »

chin up.

what do you do when you can't sleep? personally i just surf the internet for hours until I nod off but occasionally I go for a walk. it feels good walking around on your own in the piece and quiet.

hope things are better for you over the next few days.

chin up.

what do you do when you can't sleep? personally i just surf the internet for hours until I nod off but occasionally I go for a walk. it feels good walking around on your own in the piece and quiet.

I usually surf the net, read or similar until I feel a bit tired then I try to sleep. Or pace for hours on end like the last two nights. I'm too anxious/paranoid to go for late night walks, tempting as it might be.

Apparently from a chat with my mother today, my great grandfather also paced a lot, paced a lot more when he got agitated, was quiet and needed a lot of "rest". Family history much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Feeling a bit better today. It was mostly my throat being at me that caused me to be so down last night.

I think when I get back home I need to go out more and make more friends. And when I get to Nottingham to September I want to reinvent myself a little. :) Lose weight, gain more confidence, talk to more people etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Right. It's sunny. I resolve to switch off all distracting stuff here and head out for a good portion of today- hopefully. Take advantage if ye are able. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 cmj2

Rather stay in bed to be honest. Have to visit my elderly aunt later. Am dreading it because I know when I see her I 'll feel guilty for feeling sorry for myself when there she is at 90 still struggling to keep going. See there I go sounding selfish already!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

Kaching, anything in particular up? Feel free to .

Hun its never just one thing with me , and when i cry , i cry thats not the end of it , ill stop crying and then ill remember why I was crying and cry again , worst part is ive 4 more years of this , then some Karma straight on top of that , so is there really any hope for me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Plumpynuter

Does anyone notice their face shape changes on antidepressants? I noticed my forehead looking different, and my eyes, and my jaw is permanently in a bit of a grimace, like a clenched state :(, there's two other people I know on antidepressants and they have the same facial expression as me, it's scary.

So I looked it up, and apparantley anti-depressants do have a striking effect on your face, they relax the facial muscles. This should surely be discussed more. It's worrying, I feel I don't look like I used to at all :(

I agree with this 100%. I have noticed the jaw thing. Also a boating or puffiness to the face and eyes become sunken and small looking over time.

I am off all meds for a while now and my health and appearance is much better. As is my confidence and ability to make eye contact. The only thing I would say is that I replaced the meds with exercise (walking crazy amounts) so the improvement could be just down to that rather then the meds. When I was on meds I did not care about anything. When I got off them I got angry and started to make positive changes in my life. Could have went both ways so I do not want people flushing their meds :)

Anyway (sorry a bit off point) I deffo have noticed in the past what you said about changes. I remember thinking in a group session that people shared a lot of facial characteristics that I was starting to notice in myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

chin up.

I think surfing the internet is the wrong thing to do if you're trying to get some sleep. It just keeps your mind buzzing and active and it will take longer to drop off. Reading in bed on the other hand is very good for trying to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

flyswatter wrote: »
    I think surfing the internet is the wrong thing to do if you're trying to get some sleep. It just keeps your mind buzzing and active and it will take longer to drop off. Reading in bed on the other hand is very good for trying to sleep.

When I was struggling to sleep, I was told no drinking tea at night and to get off the laptop earlier than I was so my brain would have time to shut down.

I did get to sleep. Then I had the worst nightmare :( And I woke up. So I... calmed myself a little bit, then I tried to sleep again, but I couldn't cos it was scary :(

Oh ha, stuck in house because a leak has started from ceiling so waiting on plumber, just brilliant, oh well. Maybe i'll go downloading instead. *Climbs walls* :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I agree with this 100%. I have noticed the jaw thing. Also a boating or puffiness to the face and eyes become sunken and small looking over time.

I am off all meds for a while now and my health and appearance is much better. As is my confidence and ability to make eye contact. The only thing I would say is that I replaced the meds with exercise (walking crazy amounts) so the improvement could be just down to that rather then the meds. When I was on meds I did not care about anything. When I got off them I got angry and started to make positive changes in my life. Could have went both ways so I do not want people flushing their meds :)

Anyway (sorry a bit off point) I deffo have noticed in the past what you said about changes. I remember thinking in a group session that people shared a lot of facial characteristics that I was starting to notice in myself.

I'm surprised more people on here aren't talking about it. I look completely different, kind of clenched up, grimaced, stary eyes,crazy looking. It's really upsetting.
    If I posted a before and after picture you wouldn't believe it, I look completely different.
    Why do doctors not warn about this huge side effect? My appearance has changed so radically, I'm wondering will i ever look normal again?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Wow, this is the first time anyone I've seen anyone else talk about this. I complained endlessly about my jaw being uncomfortable and I did notice a definite change (sunken eyes puffy face) after being on meds for about 2 years. I'm off them now as well and definitely feel better but the changes to my face have remained for the most part...

Plumpy, how long off meds were you before you noticed things going back to normal? Was it a quick contrast?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I also have the small sunken eyes, I look like a little old woman at 27, my eyes are like the twin's on the right in the first pic. My forehead is different. My face is tight, with skin tight and plasticky looking. There needs to be more infomation released about this. Is it long term? Irreversable?

I've tried all these things, none of them work for me. My mind is buzzing even if I just lie in bed in a dark room when I'm not doing well. It's rather annoying. Reading in bed is as bad as the internet for me when I'm feeling well, for keeping me awake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

cloud493 wrote: »
    I did get to sleep. Then I had the worst nightmare :( And I woke up. So I... calmed myself a little bit, then I tried to sleep again, but I couldn't cos it was scary :(

You any better now? Obviously it's not good but at least it calmed you down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 anonimous

hey everyone,

i know this probably seems off topic but i only found this thread this morning, and well i've been reading it almost all day. anyway to the point of this post, how did you get help?

i'm 18, living at home and doing the leaving cert. i know i need to tell them... i just don't know how. any suggestions? i realise i'm over-thinking this, as i do everything but telling them absolutely terrifies me, they don't take/react to anything out of the "norm" well.

i'm so tired of my own self-sabotage. i want to do well for once goddamnit! sorry for the slight vent/ramble/whatever.

any advice would be very much appreciated!

Aoifums wrote: »
    You any better now? Obviously it's not good but at least it calmed you down.

Yeah, I guess. Did that, wrote some crap poetry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I've tried all these things, none of them work for me. My mind is buzzing even if I just lie in bed in a dark room when I'm not doing well. It's rather annoying. Reading in bed is as bad as the internet for me when I'm feeling well, for keeping me awake.

Do you have an exercise regime during the day to counter this?

I'd also recommend the Kalms herbal sleeping aids. You can get boxes of 50 tablets in Boots. Non prescription of course.

Do you have an exercise regime during the day to counter this?

I'd also recommend the Kalms herbal sleeping aids. You can get boxes of 50 tablets in Boots. Non prescription of course.

Kalms? I take sedating prescription drugs at night and I'm not sleepy after them. Kalms wouldn't do a thing. The only things that can help me sleep like this (that I can take long term) are sedating antihistamines like Phenergan and Zispin and both leave me with a terrible hangover when combined with the rest of the sedating drugs I'm on, so aren't really an option for me with young children to mind when I get up. I was able to take Zispin for ages many years ago and it really helped my sleep but that's when I wasn't on anything else sedating. Nowadays I'm on a fair whack of a sedating mood stabiliser and this added to Zispin = very sedated for a few hours upon waking + oversleeping which isn't an option.

When I'm feeling well I have a perfectly normal sleep pattern. 7 hours a night, up before 8am every day. It's bliss. When I'm not feeling well I have a reversed sleep pattern. I've just accepted it at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

When I can sleep I go to bed about 3 and usually sleep straight through until 2.30 in the afternoon - probably not the best pattern at all

I'm dead tired right now, but I know if I go to bed, I'l just end up hiding under it cos I'l be scared :/ so another all nighter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭talullah

I just don't know anymore, why do i bother. Councelling on Tuesday and all day I was thinking, ''aw i'm grand sure i wont have anything to talk about tuesday i feel great'' now i'm back in the dark place again and thinking ''aw forget about tuesday, what's the point'' Of course i'll go to work tomorrow all smiles like nothings wrong, like i'm the happiest girl to ever work in that place. Does my head in that putting on a front has become an automatic reaction to me, deep down i think id prefer people see badly i am constantly hurting. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement