Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CEX on Upper Liffey Street (Dublin) - Now Open

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Took a stroll down there today. PC section is almost non existent. Couple of new releases. Mostly old stock and probably second hand games.

On the plus side, they did have battlefield 1942 for sale at 25c.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Was in there just now. Looked pretty busy.

Anyway, good showing, dvd section is decently broad, good world movie section where I grabbed Hard Boiled for a euro. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

weiland79 wrote: »
    I work 2 doors down i have a feeling they maybe getting a large percentage of my wages :eek:

Its only around the corner from where I work

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Spy Hunter PS2 for one euro? Yes please :)

Had a quick look around, only had time to grab that and a copy of Soul Bubbles on the DS for six euro (meant to be a euro cheaper in Game but I had a film to catch :pac:). Solid selection, some gems in there - Gradius V on PS2 :eek: Awful lot of shovelware as would be predicted, but one of those shops that would be great fun just to browse around in the hopes of picking up a rarity or a bargain. Didn't have a few rarer PS2 games I've been keeping an eye out for, but it seems to do the pre-owned thing better than any of the others at the moment (barring the RAGE, naturally, which is a whole different ballpark). For a place I can browse for previous gem rarities on the cheap, it does the job! Didn't get to the DVD section, that's for next time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

It was jammed in there today at 5:30. Probably the best stocked CEX I've been in (compared to the ones in Liverpool and Newcastle).

Picked up Nier (PS3) for 12euro and Resident Evil outbreak 2 (PS2) for 6euro. Not mega bargains but certainly competitively priced for Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

penev10 wrote: »
    It was jammed in there today at 5:30. Probably the best stocked CEX I've been in (compared to the ones in Liverpool and Newcastle).

Picked up Nier (PS3) for 12euro and Resident Evil outbreak 2 (PS2) for 6euro. Not mega bargains but certainly competitively priced for Dublin.

:( i was going to buy that tomorrow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Can us irish people buy off the online CEX site do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

Healium wrote: »
    They will be setting up an Irish website, and from that franchise website, it looks like whoever set up the Dublin store is expected to open 3 or so more stores
    http://www.whichfranchise.ie/franchiseNA.cfm?franchisorId=169
    500k :o

http://ie.webuy.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

ust picked up Black (PS2) for 7 quid. Hopefully it's as fun as i remember

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I went back in this morning for another look. I see what you mean about the PC section... I saw Tomb Raider :pac:

Don't think there's a single recent PC game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Anyone else have the issue of going out to get money and returning to find the game you've fancied pilfered? Quite a few gems got pinched immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

ronano wrote: »
    :( i was going to buy that tomorrow
    Sorry about that! you can get it for 10euro delivered from Amazon if that's any use to you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Anyone else have the issue of going out to get money and returning to find the game you've fancied pilfered? Quite a few gems got pinched immediately.

well they weren't pinched now were they?
    someone just bought them, it may irritate you but they did nothing wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

Laser card ftw!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

CEX, hmmm, not quite in the nudge nudge wink wink zone of GameSexChange but getting there.
    And with the likes of RAGE in existence, who needs anywhere else???
    I mean, the a/c can only take so much pressure!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Skerries wrote: »

I think you'll find he meant bought by someone else.
    A little too muck literal mindedness in these parts.
    Or is that mindlessness....
    I'll check..

And for the record.
    If I have my eye on Batman Returns for the Snes, run to the ATM, come back to find someone has just bought it, all bets are off.

I'm like the Terminator, I'll hunt that fecker down!

A mate did that to me many moons ago with Sonic R for the Saturn.
    Didn't forgive him for ages.
    Of course, when I finally played it, I phoned him to thank him! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Skerries wrote: »

Anyways, this place is going to be a warzone when it comes to new stock.
    Bit like the Rage, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    CEX, hmmm, not quite in the nudge nudge wink wink zone of GameSexChange but getting there.
    And with the likes of RAGE in existence, who needs anywhere else???
    I mean, the a/c can only take so much pressure!!
    What is the RAGE? Heard about it for the first this week, because they were having gigs for Record Store Day. Never got a chance to go, though.

What do they sell?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Healium wrote: »
    What is the RAGE? Heard about it for the first this week, because they were having gigs for Record Store Day. Never got a chance to go, though.

What do they sell?

Secondhand retro games, from Commodore to SNES to Dreamcast.

It is, in short, fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Visited CEX on Liffey Street this afternoon and I have to say I was impressed. Shelves are nice to browse, the games are organised well and they have a good range.

Furthermore and perhaps most importantly the prices for games did not feel extortionate at all. It really puts the likes of Game and Gamestop to shame, where all the games look second-hand because they are inexplicably allowed to remove factory seals off games marked as new. I'm much more down with a place like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Going to be upping my xbox 1 collection with this place I reckon :D very impressed with it (especially the prices)

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

I got prince of persia on the ps3 for 4 quid today, don't know if thats any good never played one before but said for that price I'll give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Stopped in today, nice selection. Has PS2 and Xbox1 but no Gamecube as far as I could see.

Also my friend told me of their site (http://uk.webuy.com/sell/) where they list what they will pay for and what price they sell all stuff at. Only in £ but hopefully there will be a € version at some stage, good for getting a rough idea of prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

popped in today, nice layout, easy to browse.

prices were a bit hit & miss, but potential for some bargains

think alot of the "gems" were gone, but found one: King Of Fighters - Maximum Impact For PS2, for €4
    it was in a cardboard sleeve with a huge booklet that was in the sleeve rather than the box & a bonus disc

overall I can see them doing very well, and although I'm not in town that often, every time I'm in there I'll pop in

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Stopped in today, nice selection. Has PS2 and Xbox1 but no Gamecube as far as I could see.

Also my friend told me of their site (http://uk.webuy.com/sell/) where they list what they will pay for and what price they sell all stuff at. Only in £ but hopefully there will be a € version at some stage, good for getting a rough idea of prices.

yeah most prices seem to be Uk price plus about 20% exchange rate, handy to get ballpark figures before bringing bags full of games into them to trade in

hopefully the irish version of the site will be up running sooner rather than later, then I think they'll really take off over here

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Supercron

Im new to this shop, but was just wondering do they do trade in's for cash ??? i heard about second hand pc games, hows does that work? only certain games i suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Was in a few days ago, hadn't heard of their stores before but was pleasantly surprised! Really nicely arranged and nothing's in your face. Spotted a few things - that I'm unwilling to name for obvious reasons! - I'm hoping are still there next trip in.

Hope they do well, we need more of their like round here.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Artfu1Dodger

Good section of ps2 games in there and reasonable prices too. I picked up timesplitters 1, 2 and 3 for €6.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

That store is seriously dangerous to my wallet!

Picked up Brutal Legend on Xbox 360 for €7 and the limited edition version of the Appleseed manga for €7 too!

Spotted a few others I wouldn't mind picking up either, but trying to spare the poor wallet a bit.

• Advertisement

byrneno7 wrote: »
    Good section of ps2 games in there and reasonable prices too. I picked up timesplitters 1, 2 and 3 for €6.50.

yeah, saw them myself, was very tempted

Advertisement