Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dream box xbmc any good?????

• 27-07-2014 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi there can any one help me. For starters I am a total technophobe "TOTAL". A friend of mine just got this dream box thing installed. It seems to have turned his TV into a smart TV apps all over the place. now it looks to be very good it does not seem to be very good quality, picture quality I mean, he has a very modern TV so I don't thing it's that, but it looks poor. It is great if you search for a film and find it play that's it. But seems very long winded for normal TV watching. He says you can get all normal channels and all program's, maybe I'm wrong but there is no TV menu like normal sky or whatever but long winded searching then playing. Jesus the misses would go mad going from eastenders to corrie to fair city and missing the start because she can't just flick from one channel to another.
    This looks a great thing for the house, is this a good system and I just don't under stand how it works properly or is there better ones out there I should go for.
    I have seen a few threads of this sort of thing I think but I got lost in all the tech.
    He paid E120 for his.
    Sorry for long question, any help would be great.
    Remember if you do give me any advice the technophobe thing.
    Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

I have Xbmc installed on my laptop(which is a free program) . My laptop is connected to my tv through hdmi cable. My Xbmc had all of the best adds on which allow viewing of all tv shows, new movies release plus old movies, hd tv shows and 3d movies etching you get the point , can watch anything from tv to sports, so my point is if you have a laptop already and decent internet connection up to 1mb download speed continuous, (actual speed now) you can download the Xbmc program for free and watch a video to install all the movies tv sports. Loads of videos to install the stuff on youtube i could give you a link, so I would do that and save yourself €120.00

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Tikka391

wally1990 wrote: »
    I have Xbmc installed on my laptop(which is a free program) . My laptop is connected to my tv through hdmi cable. My Xbmc had all of the best adds on which allow viewing of all tv shows, new movies release plus old movies, hd tv shows and 3d movies etching you get the point , can watch anything from tv to sports, so my point is if you have a laptop already and decent internet connection up to 1mb download speed continuous, (actual speed now) you can download the Xbmc program for free and watch a video to install all the movies tv sports. Loads of videos to install the stuff on youtube i could give you a link, so I would do that and save yourself €120.00

Thanks a mill that would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Tikka391 wrote: »
    Hi there can any one help me. For starters I am a total technophobe "TOTAL". A friend of mine just got this dream box thing installed. It seems to have turned his TV into a smart TV apps all over the place. now it looks to be very good it does not seem to be very good quality, picture quality I mean, he has a very modern TV so I don't thing it's that, but it looks poor. It is great if you search for a film and find it play that's it. But seems very long winded for normal TV watching. He says you can get all normal channels and all program's, maybe I'm wrong but there is no TV menu like normal sky or whatever but long winded searching then playing. Jesus the misses would go mad going from eastenders to corrie to fair city and missing the start because she can't just flick from one channel to another.
    This looks a great thing for the house, is this a good system and I just don't under stand how it works properly or is there better ones out there I should go for.
    I have seen a few threads of this sort of thing I think but I got lost in all the tech.
    He paid E120 for his.
    Sorry for long question, any help would be great.
    Remember if you do give me any advice the technophobe thing.
    Many Thanks

Just to let you know, dreambox xbmc has absolutly nothing to do with satellite.

Look at www.xbmc.org

and read this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87134186

this should help you a lot.

Also install it on your PC/Laptop/Tablet and have a play.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

I've just bought one, I just heard about these last week, but I do not understand how it works! can some explain?

I presume its like torrent or something where files are being shared and server up from distributed sources.

I would like to know as I don't understand how its legal! and if it will last! will it last?

Seems too good to be true :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

I've just bought one, I just heard about these last week, but I do not understand how it works! can some explain?

I presume its like torrent or something where files are being shared and server up from distributed sources.

I would like to know as I don't understand how its legal! and if it will last! will it last?

Seems too good to be true :confused:

Shouldn't you have asked all those questions before you bought it? :)

• Advertisement

radiowaves wrote: »
    Shouldn't you have asked all those questions before you bought it? :)

Not really, it wouldnt have helped my decision. I'm glad I purchased it but now I'd like to know how long it will last! and how it works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

Not really, it wouldnt have helped my decision. I'm glad I purchased it but now I'd like to know how long it will last! and how it works

So if the answer to the question how long will it last is "the end of August" you still would've purchased.

Ok :D:D

As I previously advised look at www.xbmc.org

Also you are in the wrong forum. XBMC has nothing whatsoever to do with satellite.

I suggest you browse the android threads.

radiowaves wrote: »
    So if the answer to the question how long will it last is "the end of August" you still would've purchased.

Ok :D:D

well done radiowaves.:eek:

@ learnerlates, check out this video on youtube, this should sort you out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEI_-lcxTWg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

whats with all the chta about illegal ways methods? heh>

no mods to besen

Advertisement