Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Microsoft Surface; what do yee think?

• 26-08-2012 7:45pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Microsoft Surface.

So what do you lads and lassy's think of the new Surface.

I think it looks brilliant, can't wait to get my hands on one. Still not sure if I'll go for the pro version with the i5, or go with the tegra 3 version. It all depends on price, but they look great.

gallery_1_large.jpg

gallery_4_large.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

It's called Surface not Slate!

Looks good though but I'd want to see it in action before I got one. Windows 8 will be perfect for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

B0X wrote: »
    It's called Surface not Slate!

Looks good though but I'd want to see it in action before I got one. Windows 8 will be perfect for it.

Well, if you want to enjoy Windows 8 on it (which is called Surface Pro) you'll have to cough up a lot of money, it will be priced somewhere between the 64 GB iPad and Ultrabooks.

The little uns will be running Windows RT, different ballgame entirely. ;)

But count me in for 199 Dollar... :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Torqay wrote: »
    Well, if you want to enjoy Windows 8 on it (which is called Surface Pro) you'll have to cough up a lot of money, it will be priced somewhere between the 64 GB iPad and Ultrabooks.

The little uns will be running Windows RT, different ballgame entirely. ;)

But count me in for 199 Dollar... :D

But tbh, I think I'd just want it for regular tablet stuff, plus the office side. And I'm sure RT would have a lot of advantages over your typical android tablet.

I've had the same laptop for years...i'm well over due an upgrade, but I half think I'd be better off with the RT...well especially if that mad $199 price came to pass!

But tbh, I think I'd just want it for regular tablet stuff, plus the office side.

Well, little is known about Office on ARM other than it is far from ready, at the launch of Surface there will be only a preview which can be upgraded later next year.
    And I'm sure RT would have a lot of advantages over your typical android tablet.

One can only hope... Microsoft's last endeavour into the realm or ARM (Windows CE) wasn't exactly glorious, while Android has come a long way. It's battle hardened, so to speak. :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well, little is known about Office on ARM other than it is far from ready, at the launch of Surface there will be only a preview which can be upgraded later next year.

One can only hope... Microsoft's last endeavour into the realm or ARM (Windows CE) wasn't exactly glorious, while Android has come a long way. It's battle hardened, so to speak. :D

Aye, as a windows phone 7 user I have high hopes for this though!

• Advertisement

I have high hopes for this though!

I don't, but for $199? Hey, that's a steal. ;)

Microsoft have never done particularly well in markets they have not created themselves. Their ebook reader has died (officially dead as of this month), the Zune media player never took off and even Windows phones are rather exotic (no offense).

I don't, but for $199? Hey, that's a steal. ;)

Microsoft have never done particularly well in markets they have not created themselves. Their ebook reader has died (officially dead as of this month), the Zune media player never took off and even Windows phones are rather exotic (no offense).

Trust me, the last thing i'd be offended by would be someone's different opinion with regard to tech!

As said, even if it doesn't live up to the hype, if this $199 price is true, the world and their mother will have one!

if this $199 price is true, the world and their mother will have one!

Even 199 Euro would be OK and can be explained with VAT. Actually more than OK for a 10.6" tablet.

I read in another thread about a store in Naas selling Google's 7" Nexus (another $199 gadget) for 270 yoyos... this doesn't bode well. :mad:

And i bet it won't be long until the first Android "hacks" emerge. So If you don't like Windows RT... ;)

Even 199 Euro would be OK and can be explained with VAT. Actually more than OK for a 10.6" tablet.

I read in another thread about a store in Naas selling Google's 7" Nexus (another $199 gadget) for 270 yoyos... this doesn't bode well. :mad:

And i bet it won't be long until the first Android "hacks" emerge. So If you don't like Windows RT... ;)

Ah android hacks are always a bit cack. Have a hp touchpad and android on that is very bogey!

Sure, most will be happy with Surface just as it is but you'll always have the tinkerers who love fiddling with new gadgets. And sometimes it works...

As George Mallory said (when asked why he wants to climb this f***ing mountain), "Because it's there." :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,547 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Between? My Samsung Slate costs $1150 retail... and there isn't a Keyboard cover. Though it does have a Wacom Pen, which makes it more than worth the while.

What do they say about offers that look too good to be true? ;)
    “There could be two ways to get Surface. Buy it outright for, let’s say, $599. Or $199 for a two-year subscription and you can get X,Y, and Z — which, oh, by the way, works out to more than $599,”

Microsoft bets big on Surface with more than 3 million tablets on order for launch

Sure there had to be a catch... a 10.6" tablet for $199? Dream on. :D

Yes, Microsoft can price the Surface for $199 and make a profit. Here's how

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Whats going on with this link? It looks right but doesn't work...

Whats going on with this link? It looks right but doesn't work...

Actually it did not look right, pasted the headline as URL ... fixed it now. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Actually it did not look right, pasted the headline as URL ... fixed it now. ;)
    It didn't have a URL before you edited (or I'm blind) but it did when I quoted it:confused:...weird.

What do they say about offers that look too good to be true? ;)

Microsoft bets big on Surface with more than 3 million tablets on order for launch

Sure there had to be a catch... a 10.6" tablet for $199? Dream on. :D

Yes, Microsoft can price the Surface for $199 and make a profit. Here's how
    Not unreasonable. The same basically holds true for phones. You can buy new phones outright and keep what are (typically but not always) better, older contracts. They are also already doing this with the Xbox 360: you are able to buy one on a payment plan that is basically padded into the cost of Xbox Live, but yes you do pay more for the system this way. Not entirely surprising, really. But I don't think everyone will have a problem affording one outright, this just makes it more accessible to those who have their eyes peeled to $200 yellow stickers or have smaller budgets/lumps of cash.

According to this conservative estimate, it will cost Microsoft $226 per unit:

Microsoft Surface RT Tablet for $199? Let’s Be Realistic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Is it just me or do I see Apple having problems with this? It is a black rectangle with rounded corners after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

TheChizler wrote: »
    Is it just me or do I see Apple having problems with this? It is a black rectangle with rounded corners after all...

Apple and Microsoft have an agreement whereby Microsoft can use Apple's patents provided that they don't use them to manufacture an iPhone or iPad-clone.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/08/apple-licensed-design-patents-to-microsoft-in-anti-cloning-agreement/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I need a new laptop so say if I got the pro version would I need to get a laptop or would the surface suffice?

Do you need to have it on a flat surface to use the keyboard?

• Advertisement

I need a new laptop so say if I got the pro version would I need to get a laptop or would the surface suffice?

If your comfortable with extensive work on a 10 inch display @ 1366x768 the Surface Pro should be OK. But since this gadget has not been tested yet, it's a bit early to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If your comfortable with extensive work on a 10 inch display @ 1366x768 the Surface Pro should be OK. But since this gadget has not been tested yet, it's a bit early to call.

I want the surface, but I'd probably spend 500-800 on a decent laptop if I was getting one. I wouldn't get them both as I'd end up only using one, so it would probably make sense to get a laptop then would it?

It works for me... kinda. Reading textbooks in PDF is kinda annoying on that same resolution.

Which, hang on - are those Surface tablets going to be wildly widescreen, like mine? Frankly, I much prefer the iPad aspect ratio, which is a lot closer to A4 paper.

Apple and Microsoft have an agreement whereby Microsoft can use Apple's patents provided that they don't use them to manufacture an iPhone or iPad-clone.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/08/apple-licensed-design-patents-to-microsoft-in-anti-cloning-agreement/

Oh yeah forgot about that!

Nah, black rectangle with rounded corners is borderline OK... things are getting dicey when they use icons on the display, tiles are OK, apparently. :D

Nah, black rectangle with rounded corners is borderline OK... things are getting dicey when they use icons on the display, tiles are OK, apparently. :D

Seriously, if they're being that general and claiming coloured shapes why not apply for a patent for a handheld device used to communicate with others? :rolleyes:

Has anyone used the new keyboard yet? I'd be interested to see if the flexibility has an impact on typing performance.

Has anyone used the new keyboard yet?

Those who have probably signed an NDA, i.e. "I could tell you but then I'll have to shoot you." :)

Seriously, no working demo has been presented yet for any hands-on reviews.

Those who have probably signed an NDA, i.e. "I could tell you but then I'll have to shoot you." :)

Seriously, no working demo has been presented yet for any hands-on reviews.

Thanks! I'm an electrical engineer with absolutely no interest in consumer electronics so I have no idea of the relevant release dates.

Thanks! I'm an electrical engineer with absolutely no interest in consumer electronics so I have no idea of the relevant release dates.

October 24th for Surface with Windows RT. Expect some selected reviews maybe a week or two in advance.

Surface Pro with Windows 8 is said to surface in January 2013. No official date set yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement