Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

You could put a strip of rubber then zip tie the sensor. Some of them come with O-rings too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

G rock wrote: »
    how does everyone put their speedo on the fork without marking the paint with the zipties over time?

am i just being too fussy?

At least it's not as bad as marks in your speedos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Question of my own.
    If I was to buy say this crankset.
    http://www.adverts.ie/bikes/fsa-vero-track-crankset-bb/1735982
    Can I use it with a 3/32" chain or does it have to be a 1/8" chain?

I'm looking into making a 9 speed bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

how does everyone put their speedo on the fork without marking the paint with the zipties over time?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

You could use helicopter tape, or any name variation on the clear self-adhesive protective tape typically used to protect frames from the likes of cable rub or chain drop. That works well as it is robust, versatile, and effective. It can be pricey to buy, though you can usually find rolls of it for a reasonable price (relatively speaking) on eBay.

Or cut a strip of rubber from an old bicycle tube and use that, for the wholesome DIY "none of yer fancy stuff, my father would approve" look.

If you want to be *really* fussy though then you could choose to worry about whether the covered over paint will fade differently to the exposed paint :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Crow92 wrote: »
    Question of my own.
    If I was to buy say this crankset.
    http://www.adverts.ie/bikes/fsa-vero-track-crankset-bb/1735982
    Can I use it with a 3/32" chain or does it have to be a 1/8" chain?

If it's a 1/8" chainring then you'll need to use a 1/8" chain, otherwise the 3/32" will get sort of stuck stuck and be generally awful and hateful and wrong and you'll never be happy again. At least that's what happens in my experience. You could presumably put a 3/32" chainring on it though I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

with the new look boards I now know for the first time ever that yoga and pilates are a sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Crow92 wrote: »
    You could put a strip of rubber then zip tie the sensor. Some of them come with O-rings too.

Bit of an old tube - sure why else would you keep them, if not for stuff like this? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Get a Garmin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

RIP jon lord
    They were one of my favourite bands for many years. I think I'll crank up the turntable tonight for a blast of Made in Japan on LP. :)

Peterx wrote: »
    with the new look boards I now know for the first time ever that yoga and pilates are a sport.

Which is closer to a sport Yoga & Pilates, Pro Wrestling or Darts?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Diarmuid wrote: »

Get a Garmin

Was thinking about that alright! But then the same prob arises with the cadence sensor?

Alt.jpg

Ripped from You Laugh You lose

Nissan Maxima

http://www.motorcheck.ie/free-car-check/

NO PLATE NUMBERS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

edit : the taxi i see.

Same as above

I met a fairly large group between Stamullen and Naul this morning all in similar distinctive red and black jerseys with what looked like the word "GIANT" across the chest. Anyone know who they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭buffalo

Dan Martin going to be on RTE Sport on RTE Radio 1 in a bit.

edit: er, he's on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Jeremy Whittle on newstalk now. talking about TDF '86.

Jeremy Whittle on newstalk now. talking about TDF '86.

i knew newstalk were behind the times but that report is laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate

• Advertisement

good documentary on vicky pendleton on bbc1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

An emotional fish. She is.

I met a fairly large group between Stamullen and Naul this morning all in similar distinctive red and black jerseys with what looked like the word "GIANT" across the chest. Anyone know who they are?

They do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAbZzdalZh4
    58 seconds and onward look familiar?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

Decided to take the long way home to Dun Laoghaire via Malahide this evening. I was proceeding at a reasonable lick with the aid of the tailwind at St Anne's Park when my front wheel tramlined in the groove left by a trench excavated some time in the past.
    As has happened in the these situations before, the rest seems to unravel in slow motion. You have the time to think about how much this is going to hurt and then it does, big time. I am even conscious of my head speeding (in slow motion) towards the concrete and then can here the thud as the helmet does its stuff and absorbs most of the shock.
    I was lucky that there was no vehicle behind me, as I was planted in the middle of the lane and the consequences could have been much more serious. I ended up with road rash on my elbow, knee and knuckles, bruised ribs and clavicle and my 3 month old Giro Ionos is now in the rubbish bin.

Big thanks to the various motorists and cyclists who stopped to enquire after my welfare in case any of them read this.

The story does have a happy ending - the bike escaped unscathed:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭Junior

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

While watchin that my wife said you should do that track cycling instead as I wouldn't get rained on. I informed her that the only track in Dublin is outdoors much to her amusement.

VP's dad came across as a total d!ck.

Hungrycol wrote: »
    VP's dad came across as a total d!ck.

Yeah - you could sense the resentment from her to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Every time my Specialized BG Pro road shoes, the 2010 version, get rained on during a ride they absolutely stink for days or weeks afterwards. They smell like tomcat wee, so it's perhaps appropriate that deodorising cat litter is the most effective means of killing the smell (but only until they get wet again). Did Specialized employ some particularly territorial shoe makers that year I wonder, so territorial that they sprayed everything they made before it left the factory?

I wore them to work this morning and it currently smells like a tramp has crawled under my desk to decompose. Another good reason to get rid of open plan offices, albeit a slightly unconventional one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

doozerie wrote: »
    Every time my Specialized BG Pro road shoes, the 2010 version, get rained on during a ride they absolutely stink for days or weeks afterwards

All my shoes stink at the moment. I tried 90 minutes in the oven at 100C, and that "cured" it for a time but the stink is slowly returning and the shoes appear to have shrunk slightly.

My next approach will be to squirt Milton into them every night using one of those plant mist sprayers, so that over time they become deeply impregnated with antibacterial poison.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement