Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Deise Tom wrote: »
    83-47. Well done to all in Limerick for standing up to player power

How clubs were supposed to vote against their own players that were playing for the current panel was just cruel tbh.
    Let's see if any of the strikers come back to the panel now and show that they actually care about the future of Limerick hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

Decision made now, no point calling another meeting next month. Time to push on!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I have to say, I am ****ing delighted!! Finally the limerick people have told this bunch of players what they think of them. We have been rubbish for the last 8-9 years(except for one good performance against waherfurd in 2007), things badly needed to be shaken up in Limerick hurling and fair play to the delegates for voting that way.

If the other players do or do not come back, i dont care, we have a top quality manager in place, and if given time, he will hopefully get us playing some good hurling. Same way the county board did with Mikey Ned and the footballers.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

After that I take my hat of to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I'm happy with the result, but sad that it had to come to this.... Theres a tough few years ahead for Limerick but I have no doubt that in the long run it will prove the correct decision. Hopefully we can put this behind us now and get behind the panel for the season ahead......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

jordainius wrote: »
    Division 2 and Christy Ring Cup here we come.
    when you are at the bottom there is only one way you can go thats up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Absolutely delighted, mainly for Justin McCarthy who no doubt has had to deal with a lot of crap in the past few months. Limerick CLG must not be held to ransom by anyone, not least a group of striking players.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

Full credit to Limerick GAA. Neither Cork nor Waterford had the balls to stand up to the players. Its time to tackle player power or it is only a matter of time before it extends to clubs where the volounteer manager or coach will be subjected to the same treatment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

You could say the same thing about KK the early part of the noughties. Charlie Carter, Denis Byrne, Andy Comerford, Brian McEvoy, John Hoyne, Phil Larkin,Peter Barry, Sean Dowling, were all phased out of the squad.
    Terrific hurlers who would make any panel at the time and who had won AI medals in 2000 and 2002 and it is worth noting that Brian Cody doesnt do tact either. Did Henry Shefflin, DJ Carey, Michael Kavanagh, James McGarry and Martin Comerford all decide it was a raw deal and follow them out the door?
    No, they stayed and got on with it. I don't agree with these Limerick panelists walking out and making demands just like i didn't agree with the Mike Mac situation in Clare or Gerard McCarthy situation in Cork.

The same could be said in Waterford when Justin was got rid off. I have been told from a source outside of the panel, but who knows one of the panel members very well, Justin was got rid of by a minority of the players, but influencial players. Some players that have trained under Justin and under Davy have said that there is a mighty difference in the standards of the training of the two men, and you might be surprised which one one or two of them thought was the better coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

The best thing that could happen now is that the 2009 players accept the democratic vote and offer themselves to Justin for the remainder of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

cornerboy wrote: »
    The best thing that could happen now is that the 2009 players accept the democratic vote and offer themselves to Justin for the remainder of the year.

No, the best thing that can happen now is that we become a bit competitive in about 5 years time, and for us to hope and pray that interest in hurling in the county doesn't go into decline in the meantime.

It already is dwindling as is being shown by the poor attendances at league games and I don't think too many fans will travel to our Munster semi final against Cork in Cork or Tipp in Thurles. People don't want to watch their team take a hiding and if they know that's whats going to happen then they just wont go.

Also, after taking hiding after hiding I'm sure the young children of our county will all be queuing up to play hurling..:rolleyes:

People can call this a victory over "player power" if they want. But this is NOT in any way a victory for Limerick hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

No, the best thing that can happen now is that we become a bit competitive in about 5 years time, and for us to hope and pray that interest in hurling in the county doesn't go into decline in the meantime.

It already is dwindling as is being shown by the poor attendances at league games and I don't think too many fans will travel to our Munster semi final against Cork in Cork or Tipp in Thurles. People don't want to watch their team take a hiding and if they know that's whats going to happen then they just wont go.

Also, after taking hiding after hiding I'm sure the young children of our county will all be queuing up to play hurling..:rolleyes:

People can call this a victory over "player power" if they want. But this is NOT in any way a victory for Limerick hurling.

As I said, destroying the village to save it, fiddling while Rome burns and so on.

Doesn't seem to deter them from showing an interest in hurling in Carlow, or Dublin. Dont forget too that Clare were getting annual hidings until the breakthrough in the mid 90's and Waterford were on the end of hidings before Gerard McCarthys era.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Doesn't seem to deter them from showing an interest in hurling in Carlow, or Dublin. Dont forget too that Clare were getting annual hidings until the breakthrough in the mid 90's and Waterford were on the end of hidings before Gerard McCarthys era.

So he coached your lot too, you poor bastards...

Orizio wrote: »
    So he coached your lot too, you poor bastards...

He done a very good job in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭shockframe

As far as im concerned Last night was the nadir for limerick hurling.the county board had a chance to do something positive at last but rather than listen to the public who in the majority are angry about the whole justin saga they chose to bury their heads in the sand yet again and show what a spineless bunch of chancers they really are.

Liam Lenihan said a few weeks ago that he would step down as chairman in order to help the current problem.i havent heard of him tendering his resignation or hinting he may do so lately.

I dont hold justin responsible for all our troubles.they go deeper than that but he could have done the decent thing and walk away.but his pride and greed got in the way as if to say "how dare these upstarts challenge my authority.I am the manager, ME ME ME. i am one of the greatest coaches in the history of the gaa.those boys i had plaing for me last year are only a bunch of alcoholics and troublemakers.

yes justin.tell us about all those all irelands you won as a coach with antrim,clare and waterford and one all ireland won with a team who should have lost the 1984 munster final and afterwards who went on to win 2 other all irelands with different coaches.

justin was once a great coach but like babs and gerard who came before him has not adopted to the demands of the modern game and has been exposed at the top level.

in many ways the county board and justin deserve each other.never deal with the big issues surrounding their teams performance.always spreading lies about how players are out of control and indisciplined.funny how Justin mccarthy isnt being judged by the same standards that tom ryan was isnt it.

tell me justin of the players you labelled as troublemakers did you know that stephen lucey (not blameless here either ill admit) works as a doctoe and combined a job as a trainee doctor for about 10 years with being a dual player for limerick.also did you know that seamus hickey doesnt drink.did you know that that dreadful niall moran is coach to a school that is preparing for an all ireland schools final.did you know that donal o grady who was a sub on the 2001 all ireland winning team became one of the mainstays of the senior hurling team through dedication and hard work.also were you aware of the fact that you - yes you- justin were only too happy to play an overweight and underperforming eoin foley in a championship match after only recalling hiim 2 weeks beforehand to the exclusion of players who worked tirelessly for 6 months to make the panel.

GAA in Limerick is rotten to the core at all levels.last night was an oppurtunity to put that right.boy did they fail on that score.

We have senior hurling clubs who think they know it all.ran by dinosaurs who havent the first idea on how to run a team right.i dont know of any decent hurling trainers bar niall moran who are emerging.my home club is a shambles for picking players who show up for training (half-asred) once in a blue moon to the exclusion of honest hard working players who are discarded once league and championship comes along.i know of one decent coach in limerick gaa.primarily because he isnt one to say "yeah things are going well, training is good numbers are good, players are training hard, we were unlucky in the last match there".He gets results by applying high standards as reagrds training,attitude,discipline and match preparation.something that is severly lacking in other coaches.

before we go on the drinking culture which was shameful on the players part although grossly overstated why didnt the county board take action 6/7 years ago.why didnt club delegates and friends ever admit to the guilty parties that this is not the way to be successful.club friends of players are as guilty as anyone in building up players reputations and eventually players believe their own hype.

the county board have done nothing and i mean absolutely nothing to ensure that hurling is promoted in limerick.a disgraceful culture where anyone from junior clubs or areas like west limerick is made to feel like a second class citizen and should not waste his time trying to play for the limerick hurlers.no effort to promote schools hurling in weaker areas and also county board yes men who are in the roles on a power trip.only donal fitzgibbon is the one chairman in limerick that i can rememebr doing a decent job.

if jp mcmanus supports justin and is pulling out if justin goes let him off.i have great respect for jp.he is a great limerick fan but you cannot buy an all ireland.kerry,kilkenny and tyrone are not exactly loaded but they are delivering all irelands.its time the limerick board/public realised this.

there is wrong on all sides in the matter but in the main the guilty party is the county board who are responsicle for the mess we are in.

i would strongly propose the limerick GAA public to organize a protest against the county board who dont give a monkeys about the interets of the public.

well dont to the county board and justin.they dealt with that evil pleyer power issue once and for all.tell us what donegal and leitrim was like wont ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Delighted enjoy having a free summer Donie Ryan and Co!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

I've said it once and I'll say it again, Limerick hurling hit rock bottom last August in Croke Park. Let's not forget the striking team nearly and should have lost to Laois in the qualifiers a few weeks before that. And lets not forget, we have been giving respectable enough performances in the League, well for the first half at least.

If they work on their fitness they might become more competitive and I have a sneaky feeling we could turn over offaly in the League if things go right.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭garminguy

i have just come upon this thread and as a fan of another sport i am amazed that the players involved are getting any support.
    when your team is beaten by the score inflicted by tipp last year, there is something wrong.
    if a team lets in that amount of scores the fault has to belong to the defence, not the manager.
    as far as i am aware stephen lucey is a defender and an experienced one at that.
    the year before we got hammered by kilkenny in the final and we reward our players by taking them to disneyland!
    what a great incentive!
    i fail to understand why there is fundraisers orgainised to pay for the teams foreign trips when some of them have more than adaquate salaries to pay their own way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Browney7 wrote: »
    I've said it once and I'll say it again, Limerick hurling hit rock bottom last August in Croke Park. Let's not forget the striking team nearly and should have lost to Laois in the qualifiers a few weeks before that. And lets not forget, we have been giving respectable enough performances in the League, well for the first half at least.

If they work on their fitness they might become more competitive and I have a sneaky feeling we could turn over offaly in the League if things go right.

Browney you have no chance of beating Offaly this weekend. Offaly have a few decent young hurlers and will take full advantage of the Limerick crisis and ensure their vital top flight status. I feel sorry for Limerick hurling people and simply can not fathom what the clubs in Limerick are thinking. Very strange decision by the clubs and ultimately could be very damaging in the long term to the GAA in Limerick.

• Advertisement

I actually facy Limerick to beat Offaly this weekend. I saw them a few weeks against Waterford, and did not think they were as bad a side as people were saying. Maybe they were and it was Waterford were worse and made the limerick team look good on the day. (By good i mean better than people were giving them credit for)

Anyone who thinks this Limerick team will beat Offaly is deluded. They have gotten nowhere near any of the teams they have played so far- teams who have fielded experimental line ups and played within themselves.

It is highly disrespectful to Offaly to suggest that they will not beat a second string team. Joe Dooley has them playing nice hurling, they do the basics well and they have done okay in the league so far. Offaly may not be one of the strongest teams, but they are not a team you can afford to have an off day against or a team you can afford to put out a severely weakened team against. They will capitalise.

I know people are trying to convince themselves that Limerick will be better off without these players, but don't disrespect counties such as Offaly in your attempts to do so.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, Limerick hurling hit rock bottom last August in Croke Park.

Rock bottom has yet to come.
    Let's not forget the striking team nearly and should have lost to Laois in the qualifiers a few weeks before that.

We have no devine right to sweep Laois aside whenever we play them. Explain why we should have lost? As far as I recall the point of the game is to outscore the other team, and considering Laois didn't manage to do that in the end, then it is Laois who should have lost. It doesn't matter who plays best, what matters is who puts the scores on the scoreboard.

And lets not forget, we have been giving respectable enough performances in the League, well for the first half at least.
    WHAT??!!! They have been easily swept aside in each game they have played!! Lets compare the 2009 panel to the 2010 one so far

2009 NHL Galway 1-14, Limerick 1-12
    2010 NHL Limerick 1-11, Galway 1-18

2009 NHL Cork 1-20, Limerick 2-16
    2010 NHL Limerick 1-14, Cork 2-21

2009 NHL Limerick 2-14, Waterford 1-13
    2010 NHL Waterford 2-20, Limerick 2-10

2009 NHL Tipperary 1-17, Limerick 1-11
    2010 NHL Limerick 0-8, Tipperary 2-23

2009 Panel: won 1, lost 3, scored 6-53 (71), conceded 4-64 (78), points difference -7

2010 Panel: won 0, lost 4, scored 4-43 (55), conceded 7-82 (103), points difference -48

I refer you to my previous post on this thread.

did not some of the 12 apostles travel to thurles a while back to try and entice justin mc carthy to limerick ?.
    who plans a training session
    who picks a team
    who decides on tactics
    it is not the players,
    one time there was a lot of player coaches in all codes, it was easily proven that it was unworkable,
    i see on tv wayne o donaghoue saying that after watching the games against cork and tipp the clubs should not have voted as they did,
    after watching the game against tipp in dublin last year its no wonder the coaching staff acted the way they did.
    players have no divine right to decide what is happening,
    players are there to play and improve their game each time they play
    coaches do not try to disimprove players
    how do players improve the universally accepted reason is they train harder at each session, plus they listen to their coaches, yes LISTEN.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

WHAT??!!! They have been easily swept aside in each game they have played!! Lets compare the 2009 panel to the 2010 one so far

2009 NHL Galway 1-14, Limerick 1-12
    2010 NHL Limerick 1-11, Galway 1-18

2009 NHL Cork 1-20, Limerick 2-16
    2010 NHL Limerick 1-14, Cork 2-21

2009 NHL Limerick 2-14, Waterford 1-13
    2010 NHL Waterford 2-20, Limerick 2-10

2009 NHL Tipperary 1-17, Limerick 1-11
    2010 NHL Limerick 0-8, Tipperary 2-23

2009 Panel: won 1, lost 3, scored 6-53 (71), conceded 4-64 (78), points difference -7

2010 Panel: won 0, lost 4, scored 4-43 (55), conceded 7-82 (103), points difference -48

In fairness, I agree with Browney on that particular point.
    This Limerick team have been giving decent enough first half performances. Well bar Tipp where the loss of Dean Madden in the few like 15 minutes cracked them abit (not saying that's an excuse for what happened).
    The 2nd half "batins' " are down to inexperience as much as not having basic skills and the classiest players around. Some of these guys could be great in a few years. Give them time. You see Ard Scoil Rís winning the Harty Cup and now in the All Ireland final. Look at some of those prospects, Declan Hannon, John Fitz and co. This year may not be one Limerick supporters will want to remember and probably next year will be the same. But y'know, it all doesn't have to happen so fast.
    And what would have happened if Justin Mc did get ousted out? The likes of Stephen Lucey and co. come back and we're back at square 1 again?
    And yea, I may be deluding myself here and I may be underestimating Offaly (as I've done in the past) abit but I think we have a small glimmer of hope at defeating them (even though they will know that they've a great chance at staying up in div.1).
    Well I'm gonna be up in Offaly shouting for the lads sunday.
    There will, and I'm sure most people know it here, that the support on sunday will be small. Which of course, these group of hurlers don't deserve as they're out there trying their best in the midst of all this crisis.
    Justin Mc is staying. And if those on strike want to show how much the future of Limerick hurling actually means to them, they'll come back to the panel. If not well...that's that.
    My 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

I know people are trying to convince themselves that Limerick will be better off without these players, but don't disrespect counties such as Offaly in your attempts to do so.

I never disrespected Offaly. I learned not to do that 2 seasons ago when our striking team lost by 10 points (I think it was 10 anyway) at home to be dumped out of the championship.

Read my post again there like a good man. I said "I have a sneaky feeling we could turn over Offaly in the league if things go right". Hardly disrespectful.

I have never had a worse feeling leaving a match than that day we got hammered by 24 points by our nearest and dearest. That to me was rock bottom. I don't think anything can trump that day for the utter hopelessness of the situation we found ourselves in that day. We have to build for the future now and it will be a long arduous journey. It's not as if we were world beaters before anyway.

shockframe wrote: »

GAA in Limerick is rotten to the core at all levels.last night was an oppurtunity to put that right.boy did they fail on that score.

the county board have done nothing and i mean absolutely nothing to ensure that hurling is promoted in limerick.a disgraceful culture where anyone from junior clubs or areas like west limerick is made to feel like a second class citizen and should not waste his time trying to play for the limerick hurlers.no effort to promote schools hurling in weaker areas and also county board yes men who are in the roles on a power trip.only donal fitzgibbon is the one chairman in limerick that i can rememebr doing a decent job.

if jp mcmanus supports justin and is pulling out if justin goes let him off.i have great respect for jp.he is a great limerick fan but you cannot buy an all ireland.kerry,kilkenny and tyrone are not exactly loaded but they are delivering all irelands.its time the limerick board/public realised this.

there is wrong on all sides in the matter but in the main the guilty party is the county board who are responsicle for the mess we are in.
    While i would agree with you that the main problem here is the county board, i don't see how sacking Justin McCarthy would be a remedy for their falings. We'd still be left with the same old firm of people who have been in power for nigh on 30 years now. We know their names so no need to mention them. Whichever way the vote went last night, Limerick hurling is doomed for the short-medium term future. Even if JMC had gotten the bullet, we'd be left with the same players as last year who aren't good enough to challenge for Munster or All Ireland honours. At least by backing JMC, the county board delegates have given the striking players a clear message that what they are doing is not acceptable.

Regardless of who is in charge, or what group of players we have, we're still left with our inefficient county board. They are the route cause of all of Limerick's problems, they are the guys in charge after all. Little or nothing is being done to promote hurling in some parts of the county. I went to school in Croagh, a club with a strong hurling ethos, but if it wasn't for the efforts and work of one of my hurling-mad teachers, we never would have played hurling in school. Not once during my 8 years in primary school did Limerick hurling coaches come to my school. The only coaches that came were football ones (Joe Reddington from Monaleen) as part of the Football Development Board's schools programme - look at what progress Limerick football has made in the last decade, compared to hurling. A couple of weeks ago, i was looking at a picture of a minor team i was a member of in 2000. Of the 21 guys in the photo, including 6 subs, only 7 are still playing hurling today. Its a story that's repeated, certainly in every junior club all over the county.

grenache wrote: »
    While i would agree with you that the main problem here is the county board, i don't see how sacking Justin McCarthy would be a remedy for their falings. We'd still be left with the same old firm of people who have been in power for nigh on 30 years now. We know their names so no need to mention them. Whichever way the vote went last night, Limerick hurling is doomed for the short-medium term future. Even if JMC had gotten the bullet, we'd be left with the same players as last year who aren't good enough to challenge for Munster or All Ireland honours. At least by backing JMC, the county board delegates have given the striking players a clear message that what they are doing is not acceptable.

I agree with you regarding the board.
    The board sacked Tom Ryan because he was outspoken.
    They also sacked Richie Bennis for pretty much the same reason.
    They also voted against David Keane when the right thing to do would have been to give him another year.

All 3 of the above are managers who were sacked too early by the board. But for some reason a lot of people insist on blaming the players for these.

The one time we have a case where the manager put himself in a virtually untenable position (by not having the decency to inform 12 players that they were dropped thus causing this mess), they do everything they can to keep him.

If the county board take a disliking to a manager regardless of how good a job he has done, they give him the bullet. But if the players are unhappy with the manager (as is their right, and as has not happened as often as some would like to let on) they decide to turn it into some kind of power play.
    Regardless of who is in charge, or what group of players we have, we're still left with our inefficient county board. They are the route cause of all of Limerick's problems, they are the guys in charge after all.

Agreed. Pity more people can't see that.
    Little or nothing is being done to promote hurling in some parts of the county. I went to school in Croagh, a club with a strong hurling ethos, but if it wasn't for the efforts and work of one of my hurling-mad teachers, we never would have played hurling in school. Not once during my 8 years in primary school did Limerick hurling coaches come to my school. The only coaches that came were football ones (Joe Reddington from Monaleen) as part of the Football Development Board's schools programme - look at what progress Limerick football has made in the last decade, compared to hurling. A couple of weeks ago, i was looking at a picture of a minor team i was a member of in 2000. Of the 21 guys in the photo, including 6 subs, only 7 are still playing hurling today. Its a story that's repeated, certainly in every junior club all over the county.

I now know exactly who you are!

I now know exactly who you are!
    Should i be worried! :pac:

• Advertisement

have the ex panel members jumped the gun, jmcc has his contract is up at the end of the championship, could they not have waited, or did they think that after a few bad results that they could not have been done without:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement