Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2nd Year Business Degree

Options
  • 08-06-2014 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

I should be going into the 2nd year of the business degree in September, Just want to know what is expected of you in terms of assignments and that. I have been in the Higher Cert in Business for the last 2 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

cullow123 wrote: »
    I should be going into the 2nd year of the business degree in September, Just want to know what is expected of you in terms of assignments and that. I have been in the Higher Cert in Business for the last 2 years.

Going from a level 6 to 8 will hit ya like a train. **** loads of assignments and negative marking.. Ur care free days are over my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Going from a level 6 to 8 will hit ya like a train. **** loads of assignments and negative marking.. Ur care free days are over my friend

I haven't come across negative marking once so far in NCI, stop trying to scare the OP.

OP, what's expected of you varies depending on the modules you have selected and the lecturers involved. As an example I'll show you what we were given during 2nd year.

Financial Accounting 2: 1500 word group project (30%), final exam (70%).

Management: 3000 word group project (30%), final exam (70%).

Entrepreneurship: 2 Group projects totaling a min of 2000 and max of 5000 words, involving developing a business plan (50% each). No final exam.

International Business: 4 part group formative assessment throughout the semester, think it was about 2500 words. Open book final exam.

Service marketing: 4500 word group project (40%) and final exam (60%).

Law: c/a (30%) and final exam (70%).

Health and safety:2500 word essay for the entire module.

Tax: 30% c/a, final exam (70%).

International Finance: 3000 word max group assignment (30%), final exam (70%).

I think reward management involved a group assignment and final exam, no idea of the marks breakdown. Service learning involved a community based project of some kind, don't know anyone that did it so can't help more.

It is a lot of assignments but if you get started on the assignments early and prevent them from piling up it's not too bad. Try and attend as many lectures as possible and pick a decent group for assignments and you'll be absolutely grand. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

pick a decent group for assignments and you'll be absolutely grand. Best of luck with it.

Couldn't agree with this more. And by 3rd year, even though lecturers will try and move people around to different groups for diversity, the class will have already established their own core groups of the people they work well with, so you'll more than likely be working with on same team throughout...especially for the core modules.

Ah, good ole' BAHBMD. Good times :rolleyes:

I did Industrial Relations as an elective in second year. As far as I know it was 50% CA and 50% exam. As the above poster said, go to lectures (and tutorials, very insightful) and don't let the assignments get on top of you...then you'll be absolutely fine. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions and email your lecturers, they really are a great bunch in there (for the most part!) and are more than willing to oblige.

Advertisement