Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭getcover

zg3409 wrote: »
    I could not find mentions of that exact model, are you sure it is exactly correct?
    Sorry, the model is a Bravia KDL-42W815B :o

Thanks for the advice and to The Cush also.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Have a Sony Bravia Saorview approved with Freeview tuner. Disconnected old Sky box and tuned in freeview channels on the tv ok. Have aerial connected now but don't know how to get the Irish channels through the aerial. Could anyone give me some advice please?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,477 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

maringo wrote: »
    Have a Sony Bravia Saorview approved with Freeview tuner.

Freeview or Free-to-Air (FTA) satellite?

Freeview is the UK terrestrial TV service via an aerial pointing at a UK transmitter, like Saorview here, it's often mixed up with FTA satellite.

I'll assume you're referring to FTA satellite, depending on which Sony remote control you're using you can cycle thru the Saorview terrestrial channels and FTA satellite channels by pressing the Digital button on the remote control.

Did you do a full terrestrial and satellite scan or satellite only?
    What is the full model no. of the Sony TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Anyone know what channel was removed from the Sky EPG ? Only reason I noticed is because when I page down BBC 2 now appears at the top of the page it's on as opposed to E4 or More 4 or whatever it was. I'm guessing one of the MTV channels ?

Freeview HD Smart LED TV was advertised. Model Sony Bravia KDL 32W 653A. Using the remote belonging to it. Did a full scan but will check again and re-scan. Have the aerial attached but waiting for someone to put it up and align it so might be the problem. Thanks for your help.

Did scan again - doesn't find anything on analogue

• Advertisement

maringo wrote: »
    Freeview HD Smart LED TV was advertised. Model Sony Bravia KDL 32W 653A. Using the remote belonging to it. Did a full scan but will check again and re-scan. Have the aerial attached but waiting for someone to put it up and align it so might be the problem. Thanks for your help.

Did scan again - doesn't find anything on analogue

OK, based on your first post I assumed the aerial was installed and fuctioning normally.

The aerial must be installed and aligned to your local Saorview transmitter. After that do a terrestrial aerial scan and all channels should be stored normally.

No point doing an analogue scan, that network was switched off on Oct 24th 2012.

Does your TV have a satellite tuner, have you connected the satellite dish feed to it?

Thanks Cush. Yep have the dish connected and receiving the foreign channels grand now - done it through the TV which has freeview tuner so I disconnected the Sky dish as don't need it. Great reception on them. Am currently checking out an aerial installer as the OH wants the Irish channels NOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

How is it that rte 1 hd isn't available on Sky yet it's available on evision?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭zg3409

How is it that rte 1 hd isn't available on Sky yet it's available on evision?

Mainly it's Skys choice. The channel is offered to them, but Sky have to pay for the broadcast from the satellite. Personally I am surprised that do not have it by now.

There are a couple of technical and "legal" issues. Firstly if they do broadcast it, they will continue to need to broadcast the non HD version as everyone with an old Sky box cannot pick up the HD version. Secondly they need to put it somewhere on the satellite. Depending on capacity and the number of transponders they may be able to squeeze the channel on to somewhere with no real cost, but if it requires an extra transponder there is a real cost to Sky, possibly quite high.

Lastly, the "legal" problem is that if they do broadcast RTE1 HD, they have to offer it for free to anyone with a HD box, even if they are not paying for the HD pack. Thus they can't say to people "pay extra for the HD pack to get RTE1 HD" because you would not need the HD pack to view it. The same is currently true for RTE2 HD on Sky, as in you do not need to pay extra for the "HD" pack, and an ordinary SD pack is OK for it. The reason for this is that if Sky take RTE1 HD from RTE then they must offer it to anyone on even the most basic pack, assuming their box is HD capable. So from a money point of view they will not get people upgrading or paying anything extra. So in reality it is a financial decision.

It's available on Saorview for free but you need a TV aerial and a compatable TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Is the weather causing it acting up, notice RTÉ TWO HD, TV3 mux braking up a good bit.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    Is the weather causing it acting up, notice RTÉ TWO HD, TV3 mux braking up a good bit.

Haven't noticed it here but with the atmospheric conditions we have at the moment it's possible if your aerial isn't pulling in the best Saorview signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jack12a

Hello all,

I need to replace sky zone 2 dish which is shot due to rust, it has a inverto octo black ultra lnb which was fitted about 3 yrs ago, as far as I know this lnb is more suited to a round solid type dish.
    I measured the sky dish which is 60cm H x 74cm W, I am getting a good signal from this setup, my problem is I don't know how much of this dish the lnb is seeing / using.
    I would like to replace this dish with a solid round aluminium type dish and use existing lnb, I watch Freesat and Sky fta only, I am located in Co.Meath.
    I need advice on what size of round dish I need to maintain or improve existing signal while keeping it easy on the eye,

Regards,

jack12a wrote: »
    I need advice on what size of round dish I need to maintain or improve existing signal while keeping it easy on the eye,

A 60cm round dish is fine in Meath. It needs to be set up correctly using a decent signal meter and Skew set up right. If not set up correctly it may not perform well.

If you don't mind the extra size an 80cm would be better especially with an 8 output LNB, but not really necessary.

Note you may also need new wall brackets/bolts and the old coax cable may be too short

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jack12a

Thanks zg3409

I am grateful for your advice re purchasing / installing a dish will get a good strong wall bracket and bolts, new cables were run when lab was fitted so should be ok, I would like to go with 60cm dish as it will be visible from front of house but I am really afraid it may lower signal, if 60cm had the same gain as a sky zone 2 I think I would run with it as signal is good at the moment,

Regards

jack12a wrote: »
    Thanks zg3409

I am grateful for your advice re purchasing / installing a dish will get a good strong wall bracket and bolts, new cables were run when lab was fitted so should be ok, I would like to go with 60cm dish as it will be visible from front of house but I am really afraid it may lower signal, if 60cm had the same gain as a sky zone 2 I think I would run with it as signal is good at the moment,

Regards

A 60cm round offset dish will be 60cm wide and a little taller possibly 70cm. From the satellites point of view it will see a 60cm x 60cm circle. The main thing is to adjust it correctly and it should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I am having problems with a 12v masthead power supply. It is in the attic and from time to time just stops working(power light just goes off). If I unplug it for a few hours it usually comes back on. It's like as if it is overheating or something but there is no mention of temperature in the spec?

I am having problems with a 12v masthead power supply. It is in the attic and from time to time just stops working(power light just goes off). If I unplug it for a few hours it usually comes back on. It's like as if it is overheating or something but there is no mention of temperature in the spec?

?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Try the terrestrial forum if it's an aerial masthead amplifier. It may be that you have a cable short between the power supply and the actual masthead amplifier or water ingress into the amplifier (assuming the aerial is outside!).

fat-tony wrote: »
    Try the terrestrial forum if it's an aerial masthead amplifier. It may be that you have a cable short between the power supply and the actual masthead amplifier or water ingress into the amplifier (assuming the aerial is outside!).

I think it is a short problem. What do I do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Cogg

I think it is a short problem. What do I do?

Is there an obvious trigger for an intermittent short, such as water ingress already mentioned above? If not, I would just start swapping out components.

I'd start with the PSU.

• Advertisement

Cogg wrote: »
    Is there an obvious trigger for an intermittent short, such as water ingress already mentioned above? If not, I would just start swapping out components.

I'd start with the PSU.

Swapped the psu,same problem.what do you mean by 'water ingress'?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Cogg

what do you mean by 'water ingress'?

Water getting in somewhere it's not wanted. Is the actual amplifier outside?

Anyhow, you probably would have noticed if the problem seemed related to wet weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Marc Carlo

My TV link/ magic eye stopped working last night , I had just changed out the TV for a smart/Uhdtv im wondering is it drawing power away from the sky hd box , I brought down the tv link and it lights up connected directly to the box its at the other end there isn't enough power
    Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭doubie

If I terminate my Sky+ subscription will the record function on the box still work for freesat channels ?

Sorry if this question has come up before I searched buy couldn't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

doubie wrote: »
    If I terminate my Sky+ subscription will the record function on the box still work for freesat channels ?

Sorry if this question has come up before I searched buy couldn't find it.
    The Sky+ features will only work with a paid up subscription.

However if you have a look on Adverts.ie you will see that there are a good few cards for sale (€50 approx) which will alow you to use those features with FTA channels. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Link to this site not working - just says "Site Not Found"

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ernest wrote: »
    Link to this site not working - just says "Site Not Found"
    What site? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

probably a frequently asked question so i'll just ask here:

a shop near us has a 60 cm dish with a twin lnb, wall brackets and cables for 65€. is that a fair price?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

ok wow.

so the one from the second link says "sky, Freesat or a mixture of both"
    i'm not sure what exactly that means - can i receive any satellites that i point it to? the wiki page it says "Freesat is a free-to-air digital satellite television joint venture between the BBC and ITV plc, serving the United Kingdom.", so it sounds like i can only receive those.

/edit: ok the way i see it, when you buy one for reception of astra, eurobird etc., you will have to buy the lnb separately. add the cable, and i'm at around 60-65€ again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement