Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speedometer needle sitting below zero

Options
  • 20-06-2014 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    We have a mini cooper 2001 that has a speedometer problem. When the mini is completely still the needle is below zero by a considerable amount.
    We have calculated that the needle is off by 20km.

Is there a way to adjust the needles resting position.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

seannash wrote: »
    Hi,
    We have a mini cooper 2001 that has a speedometer problem. When the mini is completely still the needle is below zero by a considerable amount.
    We have calculated that the needle is off by 20km.

Is there a way to adjust the needles resting position.

Could be a faulty speed sensor or something. Google it ? It may even be a common prob.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

tossy wrote: »
    Could be a faulty speed sensor or something. Google it ? It may even be a common prob.
    I have and I cant get anything.

Surely at rest it should be sitting at zero though??

seannash wrote: »
    I have and I cant get anything.

Surely at rest it should be sitting at zero though??

Not necessarily, could be a faulty cluster either. you are going to have to bring it to someone who knows their coopers to get it investigated.

Where are you based someone might be able to recommend a good indie.

Not necessarily, could be a faulty cluster either. you are going to have to bring it to someone who knows their coopers to get it investigated.

Where are you based someone might be able to recommend a good indie.
    Thanks,
    Based in Dundalk Co. Louth

I just googled "mini copper speedo not working" and got a few hits, a lot seem to mention an ABS issue and some mention a cluster issue. I think maybe a good auto electrician might be able to help you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dangel4x4

Can you do a cluster test on those? Turn off, hold in the trip reset and turn the key to position 1 or 2 (can't remember which)?

I just googled "mini copper speedo not working" and got a few hits, a lot seem to mention an ABS issue and some mention a cluster issue. I think maybe a good auto electrician might be able to help you.
    Yes but most of those talk about it reading correctly and not that its not at zero whilst at rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Is it 20km off at any given speed? I had the same problem with my citroen c5 needle, and all i done was take the cluster glass off and superglued the needle onto the spindle in its correct position (Using a gps to calibrate).
    The needle was very loose on the speedo spindle.

Advertisement