Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Embrace the Absurd-Street Portraits of strangers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

5503509525_e982a12b62_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

It was a field... not a street... but I was on the village street just above the field when they asked me... I didn't ask them -

2682026515_d3038fc0d0_z.jpg?zz=1

jpb1974 wrote: »
    It was a field... not a street...

Street is much broader than street :p

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

With Ginger or Cola?

Tough choices.

:D

6109860451_0dc45fbff3_z.jpg
    Would you like one? by TBSteve, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭bullpost

tbh I think everything would be more straightforward if there was a single thread for street.

Not like there is tons of stuff to moderate.

:P

zootshooter - I think you are maybe getting a little wound up over this.

There are two threads:
    One for Street protraits, this one.
    One for Candid street photos, the other one.

All I am saying is that those shots you posted fit better in the candid thread.

Read the 1st post, and comment #79 of this thread, hopefully that will explain what this thread is about.

Also reading comment comment #104, it looks like IamBlip was trying to say that your shots are more candid than contrived, not the other way around as you seem to have taken it.

This thread is more for the 'contrived' shots, when you ask (or not ) to take someones photo, and they are aware that you are taking a photo, and maybe even pose for the photo - i.e. more contrived, not candid.

Hopefully that clears up any confusion, and please don't feel offended as that is not anyones intent.

• Advertisement

bullpost wrote: »
    tbh I think everything would be more straightforward if there was a single thread for street.

I wouldn't be of that opinion. Chalk and Cheese :cool:

5471600035_6491e649af_z.jpg

5336533668_c7a6c3c020_z.jpg

5461715317_7a6d934f03_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

A couple of lads on Grafton Street. For me this was a bit of a return to the scene of the crime. This is the same area that I first started to make an effort with street portraits of strangers. I am still enjoying it....

6298575354_00ca838b09_z.jpg

6298046417_79a88f3d3a_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rvasli

Just started a new blog for portraits of strangers i meet. Please check it out.
    www.cupofpea.com

Cheers,
    Rasmus

Dave.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 xcandyflossx

First of all, boards is gr8! All this information for free!
    If anyone here could point me in the right direction of becoming a model it would be fantastic ! I cannot believe I didn't sign up to boards.ie before this !!!!
    Any information is a help guise!

this is copied from another thread because I think I put it in the wrong place :P

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

First of all, boards is gr8! All this information for free!
    If anyone here could point me in the right direction of becoming a model it would be fantastic ! I cannot believe I didn't sign up to boards.ie before this !!!!
    Any information is a help guise!

this is copied from another thread because I think I put it in the wrong place :P

Try here http://www.modelmayhem.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭anto2

I now live in Thailand full time and love to take street shots .I do not ask permission and use a 50-200 lens .I have been verbally abused on two occasions by Westerners for doing so but Thais love to have their photo taken .Some shots from Pattaya above .IMG_4048.JPGIMG_4034.JPGIMG_4074.JPGIMG_4076.JPGIMG_4292.JPGIMG_4267.JPGIMG_4257.JPGIMG_3977.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Here's an old one:

28837CCD0BFB43B0A81FDC5914D4C66A-0000327350-0002145686-00800L-B5C341E9CED94B4691C7C96FC99AAF3C.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 684 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

chatterboxsmall.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

I would ask permission of people for street portraits - ok I might have to throw something into their collection box but I have no problem with that. Love doing street photography in Dublin. So many wonderful characters.

3098398368_dbddb4f52c.jpg

6649671467_820770f753.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

angeleyes wrote: »
    I would ask permission of people for street portraits - ok I might have to throw something into their collection box but I have no problem with that. Love doing street photography in Dublin. So many wonderful characters

But do you take street type photos of people who don't have a collection box also ?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    But do you take street type photos of people who don't have a collection box also ?

Yeah I do - but I would be more comfortable asking for permission and throwing something into the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

anto2 wrote: »
    I now live in Thailand full time and love to take street shots .I do not ask permission and use a 50-200 lens .I have been verbally abused on two occasions by Westerners for doing so but Thais love to have their photo taken .Some shots from Pattaya above .

Could have done without seeing that homeless guys pecker to be honest (sadly there is no vomiting smilie for me to insert here).

• Advertisement

Could have done without seeing that homeless guys pecker to be honest (sadly there is no vomiting smilie for me to insert here).

I honestly never noticed that .He was a German speaking man who lived rough on the streets of Pattaya for many months .People offered him fresh clothes but he refused them .A German newspaper got involved in high lighting his plight .They asked me for permission to use any photos i had of him .
    I believe that he has since been deported back to Germany .Its very unusual to see a street sleeping Westerner over here .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

anto2 wrote: »
    I honestly never noticed that.

Sure you didn't :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I was going through the posts after the picture thinking "SURELY someone has to have seen that and said something!" - and sure someone did, thankfully, as I thought I was the only one! My eyes have been permanently scarred!

After going through this thread, I have suddenly gained an interest in street portraits. Thanks to everyone for all their great photographs! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Can someone post the homeless knob again? I can't be bothered looking for it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Effects wrote: »
    Can someone post the homeless knob again? I can't be bothered looking for it myself.

Yeah, sure. PM your address there.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

D2D7A376BA60454DB6205F00D3198732-0000320339-0002366888-00750L-A2030EB855934A11BB3819BB48D69C50.jpg

Effects wrote: »

Its on page 9 .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Got it. Not offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BigDaddyCan

IMG_8130.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

Easy targets, still absurd, still fun.

6846689120_5e5b968240_z.jpg

6992810587_d6d51e0c3c_z.jpg

6846687948_4f3e06de72_z.jpg

Advertisement