Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which is better? Onboard Optical or Creative X-Fi

• 31-01-2008 3:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

Ok so heres the story im upgrading the mobo and was reading a few reviews and found that the XFX 780i has onboard optical sound! Now I use optical sound on my xbox 360 and its amazing! My question is would it be as amazing on the PC or should I stick with the Creative x-fi fatal1ty?

I was thinking I could sell the x-fi for a few bob and put it towards the mobo if its worth it?

The speakers I have are logitech Z-5500's (BEST MONEY I THINK ANYONE COULD SPEND ON THERE PC)

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

does your x-fi not have a optical out ? It should be on the front panal. The 780' boards only have HD audio. Which is grand now but dosent offer the same sort of customizaition that the xfi does. ie crystalizer etc etc. But im not sure really, maybe someone else can shed more light on this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I never bought the front panel I only got the OEM version! Hmm aybe I can pick one up off ebay?

I have one i dont use. And never plan to use.

hmm what ill do is get the board try it out! Ill probably stay with the X-Fi I dont think I could have my sound with settings, I change them all the time! If I like the optical ill ill give you a shout and buy the front panelso I can have optical with all the settings!

Lol I just got my job back in rexam for like a month and im already spending loads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 footfall

I’ve used over the years a mixture of SoundBlaster’s etc and onboard sound solutions including newer 7.1 onboard soundcards...At Present using the X-Fi gamer.
    Onboard sound cards always seem to lack the dept and richness in sound quality compared to a good quality add-in cards like the X-fi.
    I understand what you say about the Optical as i also have my TV DVD player connected to my Logitech Z680 (older version of what you have) and sound is stunning and extremely clear on optical connection...
    But the onboard will give you lower quality sound but just a bit clearer through optical
    .. ;o)

• Advertisement

Yea I know if I was going away on holiday in the summer I would have bought the front panel already lol! Every little counts I suppose!

dazftw wrote: »
    hmm what ill do is get the board try it out! Ill probably stay with the X-Fi I dont think I could have my sound with settings, I change them all the time! If I like the optical ill ill give you a shout and buy the front panelso I can have optical with all the settings!

Lol I just got my job back in rexam for like a month and im already spending loads!

Slap the bawk for me. Big useless tard that he is. Also watch out for a fella called " the hack " he is dodgy out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Just thought i'd let you know, Awhir cant get his X-fi runnin @ moment and is runnin on onboard. He's well pissed off with the sound. No comparrison between onboard & X-fi.

Advertisement