Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N.I. 'Paddy last' in UK Universal Service survey

• 24-04-2015 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭

Thinkbroadband says 14 of the UK's 30 worst constituencies for broadband are in Northern Ireland.

6935-bottom-30-usc-constituencies.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No surprise west of Bann is worse than poor East of Bann, I suppose.
    East Antrim and North Down best of course, East of Bann (Bangor, Hollywood, Belfast, Whiteabbey, Carrickfergus)
    Upper Bann maybe Banbridge, Lurgan etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭clohamon

watty wrote: »
    No surprise west of Bann is worse than poor East of Bann, I suppose.
    East Antrim and North Down best of course, East of Bann (Bangor, Hollywood, Belfast, Whiteabbey, Carrickfergus)
    Upper Bann maybe Banbridge, Lurgan etc?

Yes, the problem seems to have been hiding in the 'average'.

The Ofcom map shows pretty much the same thing if you look at the 'Percentage receiving less than 2Mbit/s' option. But they seem to do relatively better under the other measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I've said for YEARS an average metric is useless for loads of things. The people that get 200Mbps are not improving the experience for the majority.

For Broadband the "Average" speed is useless. The important thing is MINIMUM speed at peak time.

Also average speed vs users split into 9 groups. Worst 10%, Best 10% and the other 10% groups.

A 50Mbps "average" speed is no use if 40% of people have less than 3Mbps. But what percentage of people have less than 1Mbps at peak time?

Advertisement