Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VRT and Road Tax Evasion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I cant speak for my friend. I personally would report ANY vehicle that was being used on public roads and had no Road Tax or NCT.
    You and your friend seem extremely similar....
    The lack of NCT alone could cost someone their life with a defective/ dangerous vehicle. Would you like your family to be wiped out with a defective large 4x4 ?
    O so you "your friend" are on a life saving crusade now? I thought it was the effect on your pocket you were worried about.
    And lets be honest if there is no NCT maybe the insurance would be void too.
    For yourself, probably. For third party, no.
    I get the impression you might prefer life somewhere with a lawless culture as you dont seem to support laws or regulations much.
    Yea, Id say you are good at getting impressions alright, I can imagine you now sneaking around to see what you can uncover, to back up your impressions of people.

MagicSean wrote: »
    I dislike my neighbours immensely.
    That must make going around checking their motor tax status much easier.

My friends and family don't evade tax.

Carried out an audit of them all was it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 407 ✭✭Noel Kinsella

ManMade wrote: »
    Then I don't see what your problem is? If the car ain't that nice what's the point of customs taking it? Could you give us an approx value of the car or even it's make?

Also my question was serious.

I never said it was not that nice I said it was not as nice as mine. Do we need to do a sum on how much the vehicle is worth to see if he should abide by the law or not ? If the Gardai investigated only crimes of a certain value would that be fair ? The value might be 15k and road tax should be approx 1k per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Bruthal wrote: »
    That must make going around checking their motor tax status much easier.

Carried out an audit of them all was it?

You don't appear to know the difference between noticing something and looking for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

If OP decides to report his neighbour and the Revenue come knocking he can easily satisfy them by producing his documentation if he has a legitimate reason for UK plates.If he has no reason for having them other than refusal to pay,he deserves to get fined.All this talk of there being a possible explanation ,let him explain to Revenue officers. Its very black and white and they will sort it very fast either in his favour or against.I would have no issue with either Revenue or gardai asking me a few questions. Only those with something to hide would object.

• Advertisement

You and your friend seem extremely similar....

O so you "your friend" are on a life saving crusade now? I thought it was the effect on your pocket you were worried about.

For yourself, probably. For third party, no.

Yea, Id say you are good at getting impressions alright, I can imagine you now sneaking around to see what you can uncover, to back up your impressions of people.

Quote: "You and your friend seem extremely similar...."
    Unquote: Thats why we are friends.

Quote: "O so you "your friend" are on a life saving crusade now? I thought it was the effect on your pocket you were worried about. "
    Unquote: Its called being a decent person you should try it.

Quote: "For yourself, probably. For third party, no"
    Unquote: Do you have any proof of this statement ?

Quote: "Yea, Id say you are good at getting impressions alright, I can imagine you now sneaking around to see what you can uncover, to back up your impressions of people.[/QUOTE]"

Unquote: Id say you have a good imagination alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

I never said it was not that nice I said it was not as nice as mine. Do we need to do a sum on how much the vehicle is worth to see if he should abide by the law or not ? If the Gardai investigated only crimes of a certain value would that be fair ? The value might be 15k and road tax should be approx 1k per year.
    Well the gardai have very limited resources. And as you said earlier customs don't have the resources to put a man on the case. They have bigger fish to fry. It's called priorities. If I find out my neighbour doesn't have a tv licence although its against the law not to have one, should I annoy the hell out of the gardai to sort him out? No because its not cost effective and I value my time and know the gardai have enough to be doing. Have you tried confronting your neighbour or do you just gossip to your friend about how awful it is?

I see no reason for him to downsize he's getting away just fine with he's 15k 4x4 :D

repsol wrote: »
    If OP decides to report his neighbour and the Revenue come knocking he can easily satisfy them by producing his documentation if he has a legitimate reason for UK plates.If he has no reason for having them other than refusal to pay,he deserves to get fined.All this talk of there being a possible explanation ,let him explain to Revenue officers. Its very black and white and they will sort it very fast either in his favour or against.I would have no issue with either Revenue or gardai asking me a few questions. Only those with something to hide would object.
    Customs told my friend they can not take the car out of the drive they have to catch it on a public road to confiscate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Limited tax income leads to limited resources

You don't appear to know the difference between noticing something and looking for something.

No mention was made by you, about how you know all your family and friends are perfect tax complient citizens.

So how does the distinction between noticing something, and looking for something, come into it?

Just "noticed" that everyone you know, have paid their motor tax, nct, tv licence, not paid cash at any stage etc etc was it?

• Advertisement

Well the gardai have very limited resources. And as you said earlier customs don't have the resources to put a man on the case. They have bigger fish to fry. It's called priorities. If I find out my neighbour doesn't have a tv licence although its against the law not to have one, should I annoy the hell out of the gardai to sort him out? No because its not cost effective and I value my time and know the gardai have enough to be doing. Have you tried confronting your neighbour or do you just gossip to your friend about how awful it is?

I see no reason for him to downsize he's getting away just fine with he's 15k 4x4 :D

Quote: Well the gardai have very limited resources.
    Unquote: Could you give me some examples of the "limited resources" please, are you a Guard ?

Quote: They have bigger fish to fry.
    Unquote: Like what ? Can you give me some proof of this statement ? Do you work in Customs.

Quote: Have you tried confronting your neighbour
    Unquote: I am not in the business of confronting people thats why I pay taxes.

No mention was made by you, about how you know all your family and friends are perfect tax complient citizens.

So how does the distinction between noticing something, and looking for something, come into it?

Is it really worth all this typing to defend a tax evading free loader you have never met ? Are you a tax evader too as you seem very defensive ? Something does not quite add up with your attitude maybe you ARE the person we are talking about ? Are Nigerian by any chance ?

Thats why we are friends.
    Yes, I guess the best way to be someones friend, is to be like them.
    Its called being a decent person you should try it.
    Well you best find someone to report, so you can be even more decent, like your friend
    Do you have any proof of this statement ?
    Its common enough knowledge. Third party will be paid out.

Id say you have a good imagination alright.
    Id like to think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

Quote: Well the gardai have very limited resources.
    Unquote: Could you give me some examples of the "limited resources" please, are you a Guard ?

Quote: They have bigger fish to fry.
    Unquote: Like what ? Can you give me some proof of this statement ? Do you work in Customs.

Quote: Have you tried confronting your neighbour
    Unquote: I am not in the business of confronting people thats why I pay taxes.
    Guards:
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/new-blow-to-gardai-as-10m-cut-from-garda-overtime-budget-3357501.html

Customs: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2013/0105/1224328461239.html

Bigger Fish:
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fear-of-rural-crime-wave-as-two-more-pensioners-assaulted-in-home-3354916.html

Stop using the law as an excuse to nose into other people's business. This man has still not be proven guilty of anything. You are not the judge, jury and executioner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

repsol wrote: »
    If OP decides to report his neighbour and the Revenue come knocking he can easily satisfy them by producing his documentation if he has a legitimate reason for UK plates..
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no 'legitimate reason' for anyone living in Ireland to have UK plates.
    Customs told my friend they can not take the car out of the drive they have to catch it on a public road to confiscate it.
    So you or your friend can sit outside the house for a few hours, and get a nice video showing the car out on the public road. It should help to light a fire under Revenue.
    Are Nigerian by any chance ?
    Careful now. Keep your supporters on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭pcbscott

At the risk of getting reprimanded from the moderators. OP, there are probably better things you could do with your time.

LIKE MINDING YOUR OWN ****ING BUSINESS.

Is it really worth all this typing to defend a tax evading free loader you have never met ? Are you a tax evader too as you seem very defensive ? Something does not quite add up with your attitude

Im defending no one. I just think it takes a certain type of person to go around investigating their neighbours.

maybe you ARE the person we are talking about ?
    If this is your level of investigating, perhaps another hobby is in order.
    Are Nigerian by any chance ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Is it really worth all this typing to defend a tax evading free loader you have never met ? Are you a tax evader too as you seem very defensive ? Something does not quite add up with your attitude maybe you ARE the person we are talking about ? Are Nigerian by any chance ?

Would you sorry, your 'friend' ;) have reported him as well if he wasn't Nigerian? How is being Nigerian relevant? Are Nigerian 'tax evaders' somehow worse than Belgian 'tax evaders'? Or Irish 'tax evaders'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Just "noticed" that everyone you know, have paid their motor tax, nct, tv licence, not paid cash at any stage etc etc was it?

Yep. I'm quite observant

Yep. I'm quite observant

No, I dont think you would report a family member or friend for no motor tax or tv licence. But you can say you would, or that you would never need to due to them being perfect, to keep the boards persona intact.

• Advertisement

Quote: "Stop using the law as an excuse to nose into other people's business. "
    Unquote: Its everybody`s business its called democratic society.

wexie wrote: »
    Would you sorry, your 'friend' ;) have reported him as well if he wasn't Nigerian? How is being Nigerian relevant? Are Nigerian 'tax evaders' somehow worse than Belgian 'tax evaders'? Or Irish 'tax evaders'?

An overall profile of the OP`s views is emerging I believe.

I dont think the average person likes the snooping and reporting type, with a hint of racism too. That type of person is not to be trusted in any aspect of life.

wexie wrote: »

The tax evader is Nigerian and the poster in question was putting up such a vigorous defence I was starting to wonder was he actually the offender in question.
    Yes I personally would report any nationality and all tax evaders are as bad as each other hope this answers your questions.

I dont think the average person likes the snooping and reporting type, with a hint of racism too. That type of person is not to be trusted in any aspect of life.

Hint of racism ? Explain yourself.

Im defending no one. I just think it takes a certain type of person to go around investigating their neighbours.

If this is your level of investigating, perhaps another hobby is in order.

I am starting to wonder ARE you the actual tax evader ? Your defence of tax evaders is quite disturbing.

Please define "average person" ? Is the average person a supporter of tax evaders who are driving possible death traps ?

pcbscott wrote: »
    At the risk of getting reprimanded from the moderators. OP, there are probably better things you could do with your time.

Is everybody`s business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

It's interesting to note that you don't practice what you preach.
    Fortunately, Ireland is changing. We've seen where a couple of decades of cute hoorism has got us. The old days of keeping your head down are changing, whether it comes to the abusing priest, or the teacher who can't teach, or the drunk driver, or the tax evader.

The average person has copped on and realised that tax evasion hurts everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It's our buisness , we are ll paying extra taxes as country needs the money. If the tax dodgers paid we would have lower taxes.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    It's our buisness , we are ll paying extra taxes as country needs the money. If the tax dodgers paid we would have lower taxes.

How many have you reported?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement