Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Roger Sterling;79534507]Thanks for the long and detailed reply. I suppose the getting married one is less an issue than the children thing. In a way I had grouped them all together into this huge "task" that I was happy to postpone mentally until a point further down the line. I do that a lot even with the simplest of tasks a lot, I build them up in my head into something awful and then do all in my poer to avoid them and put them off. Part of me is scared I suppose, part of me also finds trusting others very hard after the way I was brought up. But ultimately when faceed with the direct question of why I would be opposed to marriage - I can't really give a good answer. maybe that in itself is a good sign, maybe I needed this row to happen to finally realise what I do really want.....
    You are welcome, Ive said it before, I feel good sometimes, if anything I write is any help to anybody (although I feel bad because I always write long winded posts and prob bore many! :o).

I think the bolded part is good advice too. I often try to talk about things when we row and I feel like in my head I know what I want to say but when I try to say it I either get upset by a response or get side tracked into some other argument that detracts from my overall point.

Thanks a million again for taking the time to post. I'm sorry you don't feel great today - you should know that I am very touched that you'd take the time to share your experience. You have definitely helped me out and given me some food for thought - you're a good man and you should feel some pride and satisfaction in doing a fellow human being some good today. Its nice to talk to someone who gets it. I wish you and your familyevery luck and happiness that you deserve.

I will be honest with you and say that I was in my office (behind my house) and ready to burst into tears as I wrote to you. Not because I was upset writing it, but I was at that stage I get where I just feel like I cant go on like this (not in a suicidal way, just a "im so tired feelin like this" way). .

Myself and my wife had been sort of co-existing for the last few days (I know she is worn out knackered at the moment) and we had been just passing one another (not fighting, but not engaging much) by in the house. I had been feeling worse and worse the last few days until today it just was consuming me. As such, I felt I didnt have the energy to deal with "are we fighting?" and "I feel down", so I just said nothing.

She came into the office (cause she knew I was really down) and I just started to read a bit of your post (cause I can relate to alot of it) and I just started to cry. She came over and gave me a hug and we talked a little about how I might help pick myself up (she knows there are no golden bullets). I went into the kitchen, made myself a sambo, gave both my children a huge hug (they are none the wiser), spent a bit of time talking to my wife (I have a tendancy to rush back to work - go go go, but have been trying to take "stops").

Now I feel refreshed, cup of coffee helped boost me aswell (although sometimes a cup of coffee can make me feel worse when Im already anxious). Im really trying to learn to say what I think, because I find it eats me up inside, trying to work out everything and everybody. I honestly believe that having the cry and even just saying to my wife that I feel really down, was nearly enough. . Just knowing that she knows Im not feeling great is enough for now (I can never seem to put everything into words, but this will do!).

Hope that means something to you . .
    PS I wonder where I could get a rabbit from?:)

:D:p

I remember having a similar discussion with my sister (who also suffers from depression) and she said "I dont want a rabbit". . I just said to her, "You dont have a to have a rabbit, try to find your Jinxie" (rabbits name) . . I dont think theres any harm is trying to find something that is innocent, that makes you feel better about yourself, that helps build up your self confidence/worth, that doesnt make you feel guilty once its not putting anybody out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 davidgrn

Hi Roger,

First I think its very brave of you to share your experience with us. I feel for you and am sorry that such terrible things happened to you.

As someone who has been in counselling for a long time I hear what you say about wanting to have your head sorted before you take the next step in your relationship. The problem with this strategy (in my opinion) is that life does not wait for us in this way.
    If starting a family with this lady is something that you want I think you should go for it. As I said, life does not wait.

The events of your past definitely have a hold on you and I believe you are wise to continue to work through them with your counsellor. In my experience just saying these things out loud and stating how they hurt you is important from gaining perspective of, and distance from them. You cannot unfortunately change the past but counselling can help you get a new perspective on those events and yourself that can help you move on.
    It can be an emotionally challenging process but ultimately worth it.

I also feel for you in your statement regarding hiding from your troubles as this is something I have done/do a lot whether it is sometimes drinking too much or too much Xbox (and comfort eating). My only experience here is that I try not to do too much of these things and have a hobby or two (I've recently joined a football team). Perhaps you can do something that you enjoy which is just for you and if it has a social/fitness aspect to it, all the better.

Lastly I'd like to point you in the direction of Mindfulness practice. It's basically the practice of seeing how you are now, in this moment. It encourages us to be patient and present and kind to ourselves and also not to try to keep "fixing" ourselves because we feel we are broken. I have found even a little practice very helpful.

I wouldn't for a moment claim to understand your problems or that I am qualified to help you but I suppose I was just struck by your story.

Good luck to you and look after yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Drumpot wrote: »
    You are welcome, Ive said it before, I feel good sometimes, if anything I write is any help to anybody (although I feel bad because I always write long winded posts and prob bore many! :o).

I will be honest with you and say that I was in my office (behind my house) and ready to burst into tears as I wrote to you. Not because I was upset writing it, but I was at that stage I get where I just feel like I cant go on like this (not in a suicidal way, just a "im so tired feelin like this" way). .

Myself and my wife had been sort of co-existing for the last few days (I know she is worn out knackered at the moment) and we had been just passing one another (not fighting, but not engaging much) by in the house. I had been feeling worse and worse the last few days until today it just was consuming me. As such, I felt I didnt have the energy to deal with "are we fighting?" and "I feel down", so I just said nothing.

She came into the office (cause she knew I was really down) and I just started to read a bit of your post (cause I can relate to alot of it) and I just started to cry. She came over and gave me a hug and we talked a little about how I might help pick myself up (she knows there are no golden bullets). I went into the kitchen, made myself a sambo, gave both my children a huge hug (they are none the wiser), spent a bit of time talking to my wife (I have a tendancy to rush back to work - go go go, but have been trying to take "stops").

Now I feel refreshed, cup of coffee helped boost me aswell (although sometimes a cup of coffee can make me feel worse when Im already anxious). Im really trying to learn to say what I think, because I find it eats me up inside, trying to work out everything and everybody. I honestly believe that having the cry and even just saying to my wife that I feel really down, was nearly enough. . Just knowing that she knows Im not feeling great is enough for now (I can never seem to put everything into words, but this will do!).

Hope that means something to you . .

:D:p

I remember having a similar discussion with my sister (who also suffers from depression) and she said "I dont want a rabbit". . I just said to her, "You dont have a to have a rabbit, try to find your Jinxie" (rabbits name) . . I dont think theres any harm is trying to find something that is innocent, that makes you feel better about yourself, that helps build up your self confidence/worth, that doesnt make you feel guilty once its not putting anybody out.

It is actually amazing how little things can make a difference. When I woke up this morning the way my mind works I was already worrying about what would happen if me and my girlfriend broke up - who would take the car, etc etc. All the worst case scenario stuff that flies through my mind in harder times.

Then I text her at lunchtime about something and she rang me and we had a conversation for even five minutes. We didn't really discuss the row or anything, but I did tell her that I love her so much and that we will try to talk later and see where we are at. Just hearing her voice and just from putting my thoughts down on the screen here and chatting to her makes me more optimistic. I can't be a victim of my past to such an extent that it prevents me moving on. Maybe there's room for both my counselling and a life with my partner in my immediate future? I have to stop telling myself I can't do things all the time or that they'll be too hard and bing afraid all the time. This wonderful woman is offering me love and a life with her - whats there to be afraid of?

I'm glad to hear you feel a little better anyway Drumpot, you really have given me some sound advice and food for thought, so if your mood dips later just remember that you helped somone out today.:)

I think you are dead right as well about saying what you think. A big problem I have is believing that what I say isn't important and doesn't deserve to be heard ( a legacy of being badly treated in the past agaqin I think). I'm often afraid to say whats on my mind or confide it in others. I think teh key is working on realising you are an important person and that there are people who love you and really want and indeed ned to hear what you have to say.

davidgrn wrote: »
    Hi Roger,

First I think its very brave of you to share your experience with us. I feel for you and am sorry that such terrible things happened to you.

As someone who has been in counselling for a long time I hear what you say about wanting to have your head sorted before you take the next step in your relationship. The problem with this strategy (in my opinion) is that life does not wait for us in this way.
    If starting a family with this lady is something that you want I think you should go for it. As I said, life does not wait.

The events of your past definitely have a hold on you and I believe you are wise to continue to work through them with your counsellor. In my experience just saying these things out loud and stating how they hurt you is important from gaining perspective of, and distance from them. You cannot unfortunately change the past but counselling can help you get a new perspective on those events and yourself that can help you move on.
    It can be an emotionally challenging process but ultimately worth it.

I also feel for you in your statement regarding hiding from your troubles as this is something I have done/do a lot whether it is sometimes drinking too much or too much Xbox (and comfort eating). My only experience here is that I try not to do too much of these things and have a hobby or two (I've recently joined a football team). Perhaps you can do something that you enjoy which is just for you and if it has a social/fitness aspect to it, all the better.

Lastly I'd like to point you in the direction of Mindfulness practice. It's basically the practice of seeing how you are now, in this moment. It encourages us to be patient and present and kind to ourselves and also not to try to keep "fixing" ourselves because we feel we are broken. I have found even a little practice very helpful.

I wouldn't for a moment claim to understand your problems or that I am qualified to help you but I suppose I was just struck by your story.

Good luck to you and look after yourself.

Thanks for the reply david. The more I talk to people the more I'm realising that maybe I was being unrealistic putting all my life's plans on hold in the hope that one day I'd be "fixed." Sure that might never happen and in a way by putting everything on hold I kind of am giving an extra power to my problems by allowing them to keep me in a straight jacket.

With regards the Mindfulness thing, I remember buying a book on it when I first went off the drink and identifying a lot with what was in it. maybe its time to dust that one off and give it a proper go this time.

You're also right about taking up a hobby involving fitness, I was very heavy a few years back and its slowly starting to creep back on. There's a some lads I know who play soccer in Thursdays, maybe its time to give them a bell and see if they could fit in one more.

Thank you again from the bottom of my heart for the reply. Felt a bit emotional there when I read your reply. People are so kind and wise in this thread, it really is a wonderful resource if you're feeling a bit down. i hope you're well in yourself and that your counselling is going well. Best of luck with everything and thank you again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 davidgrn

• Advertisement

Ha, thats the very one that has been gathering dust on my bedside locker. Time to give it another chance I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

not sure if this is relevant to this thread or not but i found this rather odd article today.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-hot-button/cat-ladies-may-be-more-likely-to-attempt-suicide-scientists-say/article4385919/?cmpid=rss1

report of study here http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-07/uomm-swi062912.php

it seems cat ladies tend to be more suicidal according to this :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Bad day, bad day, bad day, bad day, bad day, bad day, had day had day bad day bad day bad day...

Nit good not good not good. :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Bad day, bad day, bad day, bad day, bad day, bad day, had day had day bad day bad day bad day...

:( Hope you're okay....did anything particular go wrong?

scdublin wrote: »

:( Hope you're okay....did anything particular go wrong?

One of life's many hurdles. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

One of life's many hurdles. :(

Pm is open!! xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Life does indeed have many of those! Hopefully you can head home/are home and can have some time to relax and figure out how you can go about it...

I'm home but it's one of those days where I want to get in the car and drive it into a brick wall. I won't but I want to....

Tomorrow is a new day... Haven't had those thoughts on a while.......

Arrrgg just need to vent....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Does anyone listen to weird songs when they get depressed?

I'm getting a bit better now, but throughout my darkest days, of virtually being suicidal and attempting suicide (which I did once) I listened to this old song from the 80s that my Dad liked. I don't know much about the 80s as it was before my time but I kept listening to this song, and all I honesty I think it made more SURE of suicide when listening last week. But I can't help it, I love listening to it. :P

Do you think this song is good for when you are ultra depressed or I am crazy for listening to it? It appears I am. What songs do you all listen to when you are at your darkest moments (even if the song helps you or makes it worse).

Maybe that song wasn't a good idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Does anyone listen to weird songs when they get depressed?

I'm getting a bit better now, but throughout my darkest days, of virtually being suicidal and attempting suicide (which I did once) I listened to this old song from the 80s that my Dad liked. I don't know much about the 80s as it was before my time but I kept listening to this song, and all I honesty I think it made more SURE of suicide when listening last week. But I can't help it, I love listening to it. :P

When I'm ultra-depressed, I listen to The Smiths, and then I realise that there are other in the same position as me. A lot of 80s music was particularly depressing (The Smiths, The Cure) but it was uplifting in another way because it spoke the truth. The lyrics for "How Soon Is Now" are particularly relevant:

I am the son
    And the heir
    Of a shyness that is criminally vulgar
    I am the son and heir
    Of nothing in particular

You shut your mouth
    How can you say
    I go about things the wrong way?
    I am human and I need to be loved
    Just like everybody else does

There's a club if you'd like to go
    You could meet somebody who really loves you
    So you go and you stand on your own
    And you leave on your own
    And you go home and you cry
    And you want to die

And then a bit of an uplifting song:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

What is it about depressed people liking good music?! :D

Hi all I started a thread on the digitalspy forums with regards to my problems (lots of people helping me which has been great so far). Anyone on here knows my problems so I've written basically all the same stuff. But somebody on the bottom of page 8 says potentially I might suffer from Aspergers Syndrome??

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1682677&page=8

He asked me to take an online test, which I scored early 30s.

I'm getting worried now. My counsellor a few weeks back was adament that I was NOT austistic. The test says:

http://www.aspergerstestsite.com/75/autism-spectrum-quotient-aq-test/

11 – 22 is Average for most of the population.
    22 – 31 Indicates that one has slightly higher than average autistic traits.
    32 + Shows a high degree of autistic tendencies

I scored 32. So um maybe I should ask my counsellor if I suffer from Aspergers? I've always worried if a medical condition is holding me back preventing me from making friends as oppose to "lack of confidence" "scared of social situations" which I always thought it was.

Hi all I started a thread on the digitalspy forums with regards to my problems (lots of people helping me which has been great so far). Anyone on here knows my problems so I've written basically all the same stuff. But somebody on the bottom of page 8 says potentially I might suffer from Aspergers Syndrome??

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1682677&page=8

He asked me to take an online test, which I scored early 30s.

I'm getting worried now. My counsellor a few weeks back was adament that I was NOT austistic. The test says:

http://www.aspergerstestsite.com/75/autism-spectrum-quotient-aq-test/

11 – 22 is Average for most of the population.
    22 – 31 Indicates that one has slightly higher than average autistic traits.
    32 + Shows a high degree of autistic tendencies

I scored 32. So um maybe I should ask my counsellor if I suffer from Aspergers? I've always worried if a medical condition is holding me back preventing me from making friends as oppose to "lack of confidence" "scared of social situations" which I always thought it was.
    DO NOT trust online questionnaires. They're usually very inaccurate, that questionnaire in particular seems to be inaccurate and quite generalized actually. To be honest, I'd trust your counsellor over these sort of things.

I read a bit of that digitalspy thread, and it seems that that's not the first time you've talked about your virginity/anxiety on that site, you've also created a thread here on boards.ie and talked about it in numerous other threads including this one. To be frank, Thomas, I think you're obsessing too much over the issue. It seems as though loosing your virginity is becoming one of your core concerns. That, from the outset, is far from healthy mindset. Have you how you feel on this issue (your virginity) with your counsellor?

Pedant wrote: »
    I read a bit of that digitalspy thread, and it seems that that's not the first time you've talked about your virginity/anxiety on that site, you've also created a thread here on boards.ie and talked about it in numerous other threads including this one. To be frank, Thomas, I think you're obsessing too much over the issue. It seems as though loosing your virginity is becoming one of your core concerns. That, from the outset, is far from healthy mindset. Have you how you feel on this issue (your virginity) with your counsellor?

Yeah I started it because I just wanted more opinions on the issue, I've never spoken about it ever before so chatting on the internet about it numerous times has made me feel open about it for the first time. I've had numerous conversations about it now on here and digitalspy and I found it suprising/reasurring to number of people who say not to worry, its fine, you will find a life parter, a lot of women don't care.

The more I read it the more confident I become and reassured so in that sense its nice.

My virginity is one of my issues, not my only issue, but one of them. You've known what I've thought about reading dating websites like plenty of fish and the polls that have shown 60% of women would refuse to date a male virgin over 30 etc.

But I'm not as obsessed with it as I was a few weeks ago, even since that thread started, its just my social life in general and thinking I'm going to be like this for the rest of my life.

But discussing online with decent helpful has got into my head a bit more that maybe I'm not that weird and I can solve these problems. So please don't get annoyed about me starting the thread over and over again, I was just doing it to get as many opinions as possible and become reassured about it, which I am beginning for the first time. :)

I've spoken to both my GP and Counsellor.

The GP said he's never heard anything as daft as "never had a girlfriend by 25, you'll never have one" he looked at me as if I had two heads when I said that. :eek:

Counsellor (female) not to worry about it, not all girls care, some girls might even find that an attraction she said. :eek: But that I don't have it stapled on my forehead and that I could read books for help and hints for sex etc.

• Advertisement

Just downloaded this on my Iphone . . I will listen when working out later!

Better be good or I will be PM'ing you for a refund ! !!:P

Yeah I started it because I just wanted more opinions on the issue, I've never spoken about it ever before so chatting on the internet about it numerous times has made me feel open about it for the first time. I've had numerous conversations about it now on here and digitalspy and I found it suprising/reasurring to number of people who say not to worry, its fine, you will find a life parter, a lot of women don't care.
    I'm glad you're feeling better about it. But remember for the future to consider the demographic of a particular website/forum when using it. Websites with a younger demographic will see the world relative to their age. For example, I see answers on Yahoo! Answers all the time that are just mindbogglingly naive, mainly because it's full of teenagers. If you went to a more mature forum (hard to find, I know) you'll get more informed and reasonable answers. Boards.ie is good but the demographic is still quite young.

My virginity is one of my issues, not my only issue, but one of them. You've known what I've thought about reading dating websites like plenty of fish and the polls that have shown 60% of women would refuse to date a male virgin over 30 etc.

As I said before, it depends on the demographic of the people who answered that poll. I think that poll was on AH, if I'm not mistaken, so the majority of the people who answered would have been between, say, 18 and 22. I think that most women with half a brain would go for someone who'd be able to satisfy their emotions and not just satisfy them bed. Also women are a lot more possessive (for use of a better word) of their virginity than men are. Men just want to get rid of it for fear of being judged but it's a stupid mindset really.
    But I'm not as obsessed with it as I was a few weeks ago, even since that thread started, its just my social life in general and thinking I'm going to be like this for the rest of my life.

Well I think you know where the problem lies now. I think you're starting to realise that you have to build up the self-esteem and confidence before you go in the deep end, so to speak. Worrying about loosing your virginity is just putting the cart before the horse and it won't solve your overall problems.
    But discussing online with decent helpful has got into my head a bit more that maybe I'm not that weird and I can solve these problems. So please don't get annoyed about me starting the thread over and over again, I was just doing it to get as many opinions as possible and become reassured about it, which I am beginning for the first time. :)

There are lots of people out there like you and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

From a very young age people are given a false view of how life works; you go to school, make friends, get a girlfriend/boyfriend, get a degree, get a job, start saving away your pension, buy a house in the suburbs with a dog and a cat, a nice patio and decking, get married, have kids, work for 40/50 years, then get your pension and wait in the nursing home to die.

The reality is that this is a manufacture view of society and, really, it belittles life; society belittles the value of life. If you diverge even slightly from this manufactured worldview, people somehow perceive you as weird and of less value. The fact is, a majority of people don't exactly fit this worldview. Many of society's problems don't stem from individuals who don't fit the plan but from society inability to recognise diversity. So the fact that you think you're weird isn't your flaw but society's flaw.

You're evidently a very smart guy with a degree in engineering behind you and now contemplating starting medicine or dentistry. Look at the people who've singled you out in the past, who bullied you and called you weird. What have they achieved in life? If all they can take pride in is the fact that they've played by society's rules and done what society expected of them, then I question if they've achieved much; it's easy to follow rules. You've probably accomplished a lot more than they have.

So what I'm trying to get at here is that society is irrational. What's the rush in loosing your virginity? Does that make sense at all? It doesn't, it's irrational and if society will judge you for being a virgin then society is irrational. Would you trust something that is irrational? I wouldn't. So question these little things all the time and think if they're really going to benefit you in the long run. Do what you think is best for you not what society thinks is best for you.
    I've spoken to both my GP and Counsellor.

The GP said he's never heard anything as daft as "never had a girlfriend by 25, you'll never have one" he looked at me as if I had two heads when I said that. :eek:

Counsellor (female) not to worry about it, not all girls care, some girls might even find that an attraction she said. :eek: But that I don't have it stapled on my forehead and that I could read books for help and hints for sex etc.

I think the counsellor was right. I think lots of women would like the idea of being a man's first as would a lot of men like the idea of being a woman's first.

Thomas, the older you get the less of an issue the virginity thing becomes. I think a lot of women in their late 20's/erly 30's are looking less for someone "experienced" or who knows what they're doing and more for someone reliable they can settlew down with. Being a virgin would perhaps be a good indicator that you haven't played around too much or moved from partner to partner.

I think you should focus less on this one particular problem (and I honestly wouldn't even call it a problem) and focus more on the overriding problem that shines through all your posts - how you can go about increasing your self worth and ridding yourelf of the negative way you view your place in the world.

What your post did was make me realise how lucky I am to have such an amazing partner who wants to be with me and start a family etc with me. I was in a bit of bother yesterday after a row with my girlfriend but we talked like adults last night (a pretty big thing for me - I often react in a very childish and defensive manner to arguments, another legacy of my past no doubt). Pleasd to report that we talked last night and I'm a lot happier about planning our future. I've learned that I need to move on with my life while at the same time dealing with the past. In fact doing so will help me ina huge number of ways. Thanks to everyone who talked to me here yeaterday and helped me see these things. Great, great thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shuridunno

Putting in the toughest night I have in a longtime.

Please be here soon morning,:(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

shuridunno wrote: »

Get well soon. Have you any tried and tested methods that help you sleep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

shuridunno wrote: »

Hey you'll be alright:) listen to some music, watch some tv and stuff your face! All with a little beer and you'll be sorted;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In1B7zWMBuI

I often read and listen to this guy, its almost like we share the same prison cell. Extraordinary individual.

One of my all time favourates . .

Really down right now . .

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

In good form so something beautiful...

• Advertisement

Going through another heavy depressed phase right now. Oh well looks like I've got to hide under the duvet again and pray it will go away. :(

Advertisement