Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

DaDa wrote: »
    Hi,

We have recently taken advantage of the SEAI grants and done the cavity pumped insulation, attic and gas boiler upgrades/zones ...etc.

Before we get the required BER rating done we are thinking of finishing it off with a multifuel stove in place of the existing open fireplace. We have a fitter ready, but would like to hear suggestions on where to buy such a stove (or what we refer to as the "pot belly"). We are not looking to hook it up to the heating system.

We live in Dunboyne, Co. Meath so ideally within easy enough reach of there.

abeafefb1775bcdec36d9c59ed895122337a36c0e0af5a950885b010abf684d0.jpg

Thanks!

Sorry I don't know of any suppliers here personally, but am sure other forum members will. Have you a stove in mind? If you would like some suggestions, all I would need is the room size and budget. Go for quality if you can:)

Stove Fan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

SeaFields wrote: »
    We are trying to decide on whether to fit a non-boiler or boiler stove at the moment. There is already oil central heating in the house but we have plenty of turf so either way we'll be fitting a stove.

Is it possible to fit a boiler stove to compliment the oil heating? Be it that we would be able to switch from one to the other for heating everything or just use one for rads and one for water?

And is it a big job/ expensive to install the boiler stove if we already have a heating system in place? The house is a three bedroomed bungalow with ten rads varying in size. The hot water tank is about two metres from the fire place across the hallway and through two walls.

Any input / past experience welcome
    Stove Fan wrote: »
    ...As regards cost I have no idea, depends on how much the stove is and how much plumbing is involved...You may find you are better off just fitting a non boiler stove and use the turf only to heat the room and a bit more. Any extra heat would spread around the house anyway with the door(s) open.

Just an update in case others find it useful.

We fitted a 17kw boiler stove in the end. It took 2 days installation with a good proportion of that spent with an angle grinder and kango hammer at the fireplace :eek: Lots of dust!

Plumber flew through the work tho once the fireplace was made to take pipes and flue, and it was a very easy installation. There's a small pump next to the fireplace (that I must put a small cabinet around t hide it) and two pipes going from side of fireplace into attic (we're in a bungalow). The other pipes went behind skirting boards, cut into wall, to nearest rad and I put skirting back today and it looks as it did before. We hear the mild buzz when the pump kicks in every now and again but that's it. We did need a new tank in the hot press - something about needing two inlet pipes.

We can put on the oil if we haven't had time to light the fire and turn it off once the fire is going.

A very good decision we think so far. All rads were hot last night and we both had long showers from the tank. Just need the frosts now to really test her. :D

Fitting a boiler stove sounds very possible as you seem to have a hot water cylinder on an open vented system although through several walls. Can't be fitted easily on a sealed system.
    The only problem I see is that you really need coal as well as the turf to get the rads hot.
    As regards cost I have no idea, depends on how much the stove is and how much plumbing is involved. I would say 2-3000euro!!eek.gif I would get some quotes in.

You may find you are better off just fitting a non boiler stove and use the turf only to heat the room and a bit more. Any extra heat would spread around the house anyway with the door(s) open.
    If you have TRV'S thermostatic rad valves fitted any extra heat from the stove would warm other rooms up and the trv's would turn the rads off/down and reduce the oil usagesmile.gif.

What stove did you buy? Glad it worked out for you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

What stove did you buy? Glad it worked out for you:D

We bought (or should i say she chose! :D) Stanley Erin. Even this morning when we got up you could still feel the heat around the house, especially in the room the stove is. I think I said earlier that its 17k but I might be wrong? Eitherway it as a great decision.

Oh and should also add that even tho we only have it a few days we have been burning just turf and timber and this seems more than enough to heat everything. Atho that could change if the weather turns nasty :eek:

SeaFields wrote: »
    We bought (or should i say she chose! :D) Stanley Erin. Even this morning when we got up you could still feel the heat around the house, especially in the room the stove is. I think I said earlier that its 17k but I might be wrong? Eitherway it as a great decision.

Oh and should also add that even tho we only have it a few days we have been burning just turf and timber and this seems more than enough to heat everything. Atho that could change if the weather turns nasty :eek:

Wood on it's own or mixed with turf is actually very good as it's the wood that gives the heat:cool: Never rated turf on it's own, but good for bulking out the fire. We have used just wood on our boiler stove and it worked fine although adding some coal for the really cold weather certainly helped.
    This winter we are going to burn 80% stika spruce and the rest coal and a bit of turf when it turns up!!

13kw or 45,000btu boiler on the Erin.

Keep warm:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

Stove Fan, how many rads along with the cooper cylinder will a clearview 750 with a 45,000 BTU boiler heat

Surfn wrote: »
    Stove Fan, how many rads along with the cooper cylinder will a clearview 750 with a 45,000 BTU boiler heat

It really depends on the size of the radiators.

If you measure your rads and say if they are double or single I will see if the clearview boiler is big enough:)

As an example it would run 5X 600mm x 1000 double radiators plus hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭potter on

hi,

has anyone heard of Aurora Inset stove? the model I'm looking at is NeptunIE Insert Boiler Stove. are they irish made? On the leaflet I got, address is in Portlaoise. I've been searching internet for some information, but apart from their website, cannot seem to get any third party view.

We're hoping to put in an inset stove in our open fire, and also connect to existing back boiler. I need to do some calculation to see if 12KW is enough to heat up 8 rads. I don't want room to be overheated either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 scropmc

any suggestions on the cheapest place to get twin walled flue pipe? I need quite a bit so price is fairly important. I need 125mm and i'm in county meath but will travel a bit if its worth while thanks all

scropmc

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Roebourne9

hi, posted this on different thread but found this so posting here 2,
    Looking for advise on getting above inset installed. I have read several threads on stoves but can't really apply info to my installation as there's so much info out there. I have few questions that i want to ask installer before getting it fitted on Thursday. We had to make quick decision on it yesterday as the next available fitting was Dec, prob a sales ploy but it suits us, I haven't asked them anything yet about installation which I was going to do on Monday but would like independent advise so i have idea what kind of answers we should be getting. We were told the installer will do assessment of suitability before attempting to fit it.
    we were told by person in shop that we should be able to keep our current wooden surround Including cast iron insert. have tried uploading pic but can't manage it at mo, She even showed us a picture of it fitted into the exact same fireplace as ours, she said it may need to be trimmed a little bit. if It's not suitable they could put in different cast iron insert. does this sound ok?
    Should the stove be completely sealed if It's fitted into existing cast iron insert? what way should it be fitted to the chimney ie Flue pipes, lining etc. It's a detached 2002 dormer with the assumption the chimney is lined.
    How is chimney cleaned after its fitted? They're the questions i can think of at mo, if there's any other questions i should be asking please let me know, any advise greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Febe9

Hi, You guys are brilliant at guiding people in the right direction with such a major investment in their homes. I'm in desperate need of help. Have been given 4 different sizes of stoves by shops and am more confused than ever!!
    Plan to site the boiler stove in old stone masons cottage18ft x19ft. Ceiling height 8ft. Not drylined. I have 2 rads in this room but presume they will be switched off when stove is burning. (I've been using oil + open fire)
    The extension to the side of this is dormer style built approx 25 yrs ago. The radiator sizes for there are:
    1 80" x 20" single
    1 63" x 20" double
    1 Towel rail 24" x 30"
    1 35" x 20" single
    2 55" x 20" single
    2 32" x 20" single
    What size of stove should I go for in btu's and kw's to the room and to the radiators?

Should I go for steel or cast iron?

Is it possible to heat the water separately with some kind of switch?

(In case it's required info the radiators in the room where stove is to go are 44" x 17" double and 56" x 17" double.)

I'm being told I'm running out of time as a lot of stoves are on back order so all advice welcome and sincerely appreciated. F

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

after looking at alot of stoves online, making phone calls about em etc. im gonna go for the stovax stockton 14hb. the reason for this is that it will be our only source of heat for hot water and the rads. we are taking out the old converted solid fuel to oil cooker. i dont want to skimp on a stove that wont heat the house. a few people on the phone say that the stovax stockton 14 hb is a good stove to heat water and rads.so this is what im going for

Febe9 wrote: »
    Hi, You guys are brilliant at guiding people in the right direction with such a major investment in their homes. I'm in desperate need of help. Have been given 4 different sizes of stoves by shops and am more confused than ever!!
    Plan to site the boiler stove in old stone masons cottage18ft x19ft. Ceiling height 8ft. Not drylined. I have 2 rads in this room but presume they will be switched off when stove is burning. (I've been using oil + open fire)
    The extension to the side of this is dormer style built approx 25 yrs ago. The radiator sizes for there are:
    1 80" x 20" single
    1 63" x 20" double
    1 Towel rail 24" x 30"
    1 35" x 20" single
    2 55" x 20" single
    2 32" x 20" single
    What size of stove should I go for in btu's and kw's to the room and to the radiators?

Should I go for steel or cast iron?

Is it possible to heat the water separately with some kind of switch?

(In case it's required info the radiators in the room where stove is to go are 44" x 17" double and 56" x 17" double.)

I'm being told I'm running out of time as a lot of stoves are on back order so all advice welcome and sincerely appreciated. F

Hi:) From a rough calculaton of your 8 rads I calculated 13kw for a boiler stove or 45,000btu and 3.5-4kw output to the room.

I prefer steel but both have their merits. It's normal to heat the water by the stove or a seperate immersion heater. You may be able to seperate the rad and water heating from the stove depending on the stoves controls but there really wouldn't be much point as the stove has to be lit anyway. If you just want hot water light a very small fire.

Roebourne9 wrote: »
    hi, posted this on different thread but found this so posting here 2,
    Looking for advise on getting above inset installed. I have read several threads on stoves but can't really apply info to my installation as there's so much info out there. I have few questions that i want to ask installer before getting it fitted on Thursday. We had to make quick decision on it yesterday as the next available fitting was Dec, prob a sales ploy but it suits us, I haven't asked them anything yet about installation which I was going to do on Monday but would like independent advise so i have idea what kind of answers we should be getting. We were told the installer will do assessment of suitability before attempting to fit it.
    we were told by person in shop that we should be able to keep our current wooden surround Including cast iron insert. have tried uploading pic but can't manage it at mo, She even showed us a picture of it fitted into the exact same fireplace as ours, she said it may need to be trimmed a little bit. if It's not suitable they could put in different cast iron insert. does this sound ok?
    Should the stove be completely sealed if It's fitted into existing cast iron insert? what way should it be fitted to the chimney ie Flue pipes, lining etc. It's a detached 2002 dormer with the assumption the chimney is lined.
    How is chimney cleaned after its fitted? They're the questions i can think of at mo, if there's any other questions i should be asking please let me know, any advise greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi:) Click on Instructions/ installation near the bottom of the page and it will download everything needed to install it to regs. May be a good idea before installer comes to print these off to familiarise yourself with the installation.
    http://www.stovax.com/hearthmountedfires/hearthmountedfires/hearth_wood__multi_fuel/stockton_fires/technical_stockton_7_inset.aspx

The pic of the insert would be good and so long as it's flat and a good seal can be achieved this should be fine. Although surely it wouldn't be wide enough to accomodate the inset stove and need cutting.
    The main points are well sealed to the fireplace. Hearth thats suitable. 150mm clearance to fire surround on either side and 300mm above. When the stove is slid into the fireplace any voids at the sides back and top are filled with a dry sand/cement/ vermiculite mix to insulate it. This part is crucial to get a good heat output. Stops the heat going up the chimney. Lining may not be needed if the current flue is clay lined and very sound!!
    The first thing the installer should check is the insert fire dimensions will fit the fireplace opening.
    The existing chimney if not installing a stainless liner should then be tested for safety by lighting a smoke pellet to test for smoke leakage and just as the smoke comes out the chimney pot to cap it, so that the smoke fills the chimney. Then check that no smoke leaks out of the chimney into the house or loft. Look in any cupboards/built in wardrobes that are build around or next to the chimney. Make sure smoke only comes out of one pot as well! It will be normal to get some coming out of the fireplace during this test. If this test fails the chimney should be lined with a flexible liner. A stainless steel liner would be a better job if you can afford the extra expense.

Sweeping by the looks is done by removing the 2 baffles inside the stove.

The installer will need to fit an external air vent in the same room. He should then light the fire and check it all visually and then show you how to operate it and leave you the user instructions.

Stove Fan:).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi folks, I'm totally new to this and haven't read anything really related to it so excuse me if I've missed some important info.

Basically curious about heating a small studio/bedsit which currently has an open fire and storage heaters. It's rented so the tenant is looking for a solution that won't require permission etc from the landlord, and to spend money on something that could be taken to another property if they move.

I was speaking to someone who said they got a stove for 150eur, they hadn't any open fire in their place so needed to spend a further 250eur on pipes etc.

Is there an affordable solution that will be transferable to a new premises and that will save money in the long run and not only money, but save effort and time in not having to refuel the fire so often?

As I said, I'm totally clueless about this so any info (including links to products and where to get them) would be greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Roebourne9

Thanks stove fan great info will print off all including post, i have managed to upload pic to my albums in my account but no luck getting it to post, I'm on phone so that might be reason so will try later from computer, have measured opening and looks like it will fit but I'm no expert, will contact shop tomorrow and ask all u said, thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭avfc1874

hi we had looked at getting the hamco glenmore 20b boiler stove it will heat up to 14 rads but i hadn't factored in that 9 of our 14 rads are doubles.The 30b glenmore stove will heat up to 22 rads but is a fair bit more depth from the wall. anyone know of a high output stove that is slimmer. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Spanner12

Hi Folks,

I'm considering getting a free standing solid fuel stove.
    My existing gas fireplace has a concrete flue that runs from fireplace up to the attic space where it is capped and then connected to a 6 inch stainless pipe that exhausts to a vent on the ridge of the roof.

The opening in the concrete flue is approximately 7 x 3.5 inches. The bulkheads around the flue appear to be just framed and dry walled, ceiling heights upstairs and downstairs are 8 feet. Is it possible to retro fit a flue suitable for a solid fuel stove.

Many Thanks.

cormie wrote: »
    Hi folks, I'm totally new to this and haven't read anything really related to it so excuse me if I've missed some important info.

Basically curious about heating a small studio/bedsit which currently has an open fire and storage heaters. It's rented so the tenant is looking for a solution that won't require permission etc from the landlord, and to spend money on something that could be taken to another property if they move.

I was speaking to someone who said they got a stove for 150eur, they hadn't any open fire in their place so needed to spend a further 250eur on pipes etc.

Is there an affordable solution that will be transferable to a new premises and that will save money in the long run and not only money, but save effort and time in not having to refuel the fire so often?

As I said, I'm totally clueless about this so any info (including links to products and where to get them) would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi:) Any alterations or changes will need permission from the owner. If he is agreable he may let you fit a small stove in front of the open fire. I can't really think of anything which is portable and not needing permission and cheap to run. The only things that are portable are convector heaters/electric oil filled heaters:(

Spanner12 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I'm considering getting a free standing solid fuel stove.
    My existing gas fireplace has a concrete flue that runs from fireplace up to the attic space where it is capped and then connected to a 6 inch stainless pipe that exhausts to a vent on the ridge of the roof.

The opening in the concrete flue is approximately 7 x 3.5 inches. The bulkheads around the flue appear to be just framed and dry walled, ceiling heights upstairs and downstairs are 8 feet. Is it possible to retro fit a flue suitable for a solid fuel stove.

Many Thanks.

Hi:) From your description it sounds as if this flue is only suitable for a gas fire:(. Is the terminal on the roof for it like a ridge tile? Any chance of a photo? If this is the case you would need an installer in to re install a new insulated twin wall flue suitable for the stove.

• Advertisement

avfc1874 wrote: »
    hi we had looked at getting the hamco glenmore 20b boiler stove it will heat up to 14 rads but i hadn't factored in that 9 of our 14 rads are doubles.The 30b glenmore stove will heat up to 22 rads but is a fair bit more depth from the wall. anyone know of a high output stove that is slimmer. thanks

What depth in stove are you looking for? What size width do you have to play with? What boiler output do you need and room output?

Hi:) Any alterations or changes will need permission from the owner. If he is agreable he may let you fit a small stove in front of the open fire. I can't really think of anything which is portable and not needing permission and cheap to run. The only things that are portable are convector heaters/electric oil filled heaters:(

Thanks a lot for that, I'd be pretty confident that permission could be granted from the owner so that wouldn't be a problem. Could you recommend any so in this case? Just to note also, there are no radiators or immersion to heat.

Thanks a lot for that, I'd be pretty confident that permission could be granted from the owner so that wouldn't be a problem. Could you recommend any so in this case? Just to note also, there are no radiators or immersion to heat.

If permission can be granted then depending on the size of the room a 5kw stove should be fine. Go for one that can be flued from the rear:) Try to buy an under 5kw stove as no extra ventilation needs to be fitted.

If budget is a concern go for stanley or if got more to spend Hunter5 or arrow ecoburn 5. If money isn't a problem dunsley/clearview/morso/charnwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭avfc1874

hi stove fan .the 30b glenmore stove is 625mm in depth and the room is 12ft in width. The depth of the 30b glenmore looks massive in the showroom and i'd be afraid it'd look to big in the sittingroom.we were advised we'd be wasting our time getting anything smaller then 30b with 8.5kw-10kw to room and 20kw-23kw to boiler, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

My brother is putting in a Dimplex 12kw non boiler stove,his house is a german made da vinci timber and glass structure.The open fireplace is in the middle of the room open on both sides and he is going to sit the stove in the fireplace and piping straight up to the flue and the flue is 11",hardly ever used.Will there be any issues going in to a wider flue than usual as he does not want the expense at this time of putting in a new flue all the way up.

If permission can be granted then depending on the size of the room a 5kw stove should be fine. Go for one that can be flued from the rear:) Try to buy an under 5kw stove as no extra ventilation needs to be fitted.

If budget is a concern go for stanley or if got more to spend Hunter5 or arrow ecoburn 5. If money isn't a problem dunsley/clearview/morso/charnwood.

Thanks a lot for that, as I said, I've absolutely no idea about stoves. I don't think money is much of a concern if the tenant can take it to any new dwellings and use it there aswell, then again, I don't know what price range these things soar to so maybe price will be a definite issue. Now when you say 5kw, is that the power it's built to be able to emit or is there something else I'm not aware about?

avfc1874 wrote: »
    hi stove fan .the 30b glenmore stove is 625mm in depth and the room is 12ft in width. The depth of the 30b glenmore looks massive in the showroom and i'd be afraid it'd look to big in the sittingroom.we were advised we'd be wasting our time getting anything smaller then 30b with 8.5kw-10kw to room and 20kw-23kw to boiler, thanks

Hi:) This stove is a bit more shallow. It has a 24kw boiler too:)
    http://www.stratfordboilerstoves.co.uk/models/freestanding-stoves/stratford-tf90b-boiler-stove.html
    You have quite a few rads:cool:. What are your rad sizes, singles or doubles and we will make sure the stove is the right size for your house:) What is the room dimensions and insulation levels where the stove is being installed? We don't want to roast you alive:eek:

Thanks a lot for that, as I said, I've absolutely no idea about stoves. I don't think money is much of a concern if the tenant can take it to any new dwellings and use it there aswell, then again, I don't know what price range these things soar to so maybe price will be a definite issue. Now when you say 5kw, is that the power it's built to be able to emit or is there something else I'm not aware about?

Yes a 5kw stove is the maximum heat output that the stove emits to the room.
    To not need an air vent installed for regulations the stove must be rated at 5kw or under.
    The stoves vary from about 300 to around 1000euro for a 5kw stove depending on quality and manufacturer.

tipptom wrote: »
    My brother is putting in a Dimplex 12kw non boiler stove,his house is a german made da vinci timber and glass structure.The open fireplace is in the middle of the room open on both sides and he is going to sit the stove in the fireplace and piping straight up to the flue and the flue is 11",hardly ever used.Will there be any issues going in to a wider flue than usual as he does not want the expense at this time of putting in a new flue all the way up.

Hi:) Is the flue it's joining too a stainless steel twin wall insulated chimney? 11 inch external and internal 9 inch? Any chance of a photo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭miami2007

Hi! I've FINALLY convinced my mum we need a new boiler/heating system, our old oil boiler having been installed by my dad circa 1983....reconditioned as opposed to new. Anyway its served us very well if a little expensively. I want a boiler stove, we have a two storey semi d, 4 bed, several old rads and an immersion not currently heated by either the fire or heating. Who do I need to get in to quote to install a boiler that heats the rads and the water? Can anyone recommend someone or a company (is that allowed?)

Advertisement